Reserve kicks

Guest Folk

Guest Folk
Guest Folk
Guest Folk
Guests

First off, thanks for providing a public server. I understand the costs involved because I use to run one myself. If there are any UT99 DM players around, maybe you recall playing on Old Skool. It was hosted out of Chicago and was a classic DM server with no mods and no translocator. I ran it for a couple of years and played under the nick "ouch". I started it (and paid for it) to provide a good place to play straight DM on stock maps.

I guess most people run a public server for similar reasons... to give folks a place to play and have fun. If that's your goal, then indiscriminately kicking people to give way to one of your members is really taking the fun out of it. I mean, what's the point in playing when at any moment (and that moment is exactly when the server is crowded and there's a lot going on) you are yanked out of the game?

Kicking people just to make room for someone else is, IMHO poor form. It's saying "my fun is more important than your fun" and that's not cool. Yeah, the members pay for the server but I've got to tell you... in two years of hosting a server I never kicked someone just so I could play.

At the end of the day you guys will do what you want. Your server, your rules. I just wanted to let you know how I felt about it, and being that I've been kicked five times from your server then I figure it's an "expert opinion". Bad luck for me? Maybe, but in the thirty minutes I played last night, I was kicked and saw two other people get kicked whose only "crime" was to be unlucky enough to get 'randomly' kicked to make way for someone apparently more important.

Frag on.

First off let me say that IMO this is a good post. You didn't rant or rave and you put your opinion on the table in a civilized manner. As far as the reserves are conserned. I think you'll find plenty, if not all the other clans have reserves on their pubs. As far as you getting kicked as often as you do I will agree to the fact that it seems you do get kicked more than others. However, I and any of the other admins will tell you that this is not our doing. I don't know if it has anything to do with you IP or the routing path to our server or what.

It is very strange that it seems to target you often but it has kicked other clan members that frequent our server also. We don't want you think that the GC has anything to do with this. We have been working with the server people to fix any kick issues we have had in the past and they have been taken care of. We appreciate you coming to our server as much as you do and would like to see you come back as often as you like, but you have to remember that as you stated, we do pay for our servers, and I think if you were to look at other clans, alot of them are on a donation type of membership. There are very few out there that pay $50 dollar membership fee. If you look at it that way, if I'm going to pay that much to play I should be able to jump in when i choose.

We are no way stating that our fun is more important than others, it is simply the fact that we as paying members to this comunity reserve the right to play. You are more than welcome to join the GC if you so choose, which will give you reserves :Dhttp://www.gamrs.co/htmlgc/joingc.shtml

We would like to have more than one UT server, but for the time being that is not possible. Perhaps in the future when our UT player base returns with UT2k7.

Once again thank you for the post.

It is very strange that it seems to target you often but it has kicked other clan members that frequent our server also.

I'm not trying to make a point of how many times I've been kicked. Like I said, I saw three people get kicked in the half hour I played. I reckon your logs would be able to tell you exactly how many people have been kicked. I figure it's quite a few.

I think you'll find plenty, if not all the other clans have reserves on their pubs.

I've played on quite a few ONS pubs and have never seen this, although I think most clans run both a private and a public server so for them it's not an issue.

We are no way stating that our fun is more important than others, it is simply the fact that we as paying members to this comunity reserve the right to play.

Then maybe you should make it a private clan server, because kicking people right and left during the most intense moments of a match (when the server is full) is not a public server, it's a semi-private server depending on the whims of your members.

We appreciate you coming to our server as much as you do and would like to see you come back as often as you like

Thanks, but I reckon I'll be playing elsewhere until you quit kicking people indiscriminately. It's just too frustrating to devote an hour into a map like Dria only to have the rug pulled out from under you at the worst possible time. It's not my idea of fun and I would imagine that the scores of other people you've kicked off your server feel the same way.

Well my story is that I was a member a while ago, but I had things in my life that had higher prioritys come up that I had to take care of.

Now that my prioritys have been taken care of I plan on joining back up with the GC this weekend because I feel and believe in Gamerscoalition and the great organization that Fatty and his partners run.

50 dollars for the year seems alot of money to different people.

I myself feel that it is totally worth it. That is do to the great organization that I am joining.

As for being kicked, I have been kicked also from the UT pubs when it has been full, and I also have been kicked from the Counter Strike servers when they have been full. I just went to another server and checked back now and then to see when the servers were not full and joined back into them.

The GC offers alot more than just public servers to play in.

Being a member has it's privilages.

There are many different activitys to join in when you are a member.

Kicking people just to make room for someone else is, IMHO poor form. It's saying "my fun is more important than your fun" and that's not cool.

I believe this gets to the core of the matter. I can see where you're coming from. It's a real bummer to be in the middle of a really intense game, and just get randomly kicked just when everything is at it's best.

However, I think there's one thing you are missing. GC members pay to keep the server running... you've acknowledged this, but I'm wondering if you really understand it. It's like GC is throwing one big house party, and lots of people come over. Then there are too many people to fit in the house. Is it unreasonable to kick someone out so the owners of the house can get back in? I don't think so. Then who gets kicked out? The nerdiest looking kid? The one surrounded by all the ladies? Or just leave it up to fate?

being in the middle of an intense game shouldn't be a problem. the person who gets kicked is the last joining non-member. with the influx of ppl into servers that have high traffic ppl shouldn't be kicked unless they played, i dunno, around 3 rounds-ish.

I may be wrong, but I think the admin mod for UT works differently than Mani does. I've seen some posts about the reserve kicks malfunctioning and I think it was mentioned what the different options were for method. IIRC one may have been lowest score but I don't think connection age was in there.

I believe this is the issue and it is being dealt with. There's no reason someone who has been playing for an hour should be kicked. Just no reason at all.

As far as I know, Flitter is addressing this.

He has worked with the server people quite a lot lately with this issue. I don't want you to think that I am being unsympathetic here, I very much understand and know where you are coming from. I have heard more complaints about this lately so I think perhaps we should look into a possible third party solution to this if there is such a thing. Perhaps we can go back to worst score or something, I'll have to get with Flitter on this more in depth.

Thanks for the post and keep the faith.

I would add as a former non-member of GC, that I got kicked as well, and it was never a good feeling, however, I understood it. Have I ever been kicked from another server other than GC's...? No...But, I appreciated the company on GC, I appreciated their rules (no BS, no immature behaviour, etc...) so I paid the dues. As a dues paying member, do I expect someone (non-member) to get kicked before me...yes.

That said...it is "only" $50, which is a small price to reserve a server spot and to support a worthy cause.

IMO, I think the kicks should be dealt to those who joined most recently and to those with lowest score...

That would encourage people to get in when games are small, rather than hop on the bandwagon when the action is hot. Many is the time that GC members or others get on with 1 or 2 players and get the action going...then in 1/2 hour, server is full. Those people deserve to stay on.

Folk is good player, so I think that his score should keep him active when others join and server is full.

He has worked with the server people quite a lot lately with this issue.

Having to support a rather large user community on a daily basis (network support), I can

thoroughly understand what Flitter is going through - and it probably isn't something that is

going to get resolved instantaneously. I think that is something we should all keep in mind.

I also understand that people are upset, but we all have to understand that it can't be fixed

automagically. I know it doesn't sound like a real solution, but things can get nasty when you

have to start digging around in the guts of any system.

I joined GC about three years ago - because I loved playing on the GC servers. They were just

that much *better* - better atmosphere, better people - heck, just better all around. And the icing

on the cake was that da boss was named Fatty!

In all seriousness though, I joined because I (like Tek) appreciate the rules, maturity and overall

quality of play. I think this is the underlying factor that we should all take into consideration while

the problems are being resolved.

And to second Primus - keep the faith!

Guest Angry VC Grad
Guest Angry VC Grad
Guest Angry VC Grad
Guests

Having dropped in for a quick visit to prevent myself from being purged I figured I maight as well post something relevant. I played as a member of a clan in the UT GOtY for years. The problems I encountered were primarily related to time constraints. Managing the clansite forums and server were a major investment of time and effort. GC has a popular series of public servers. Most of the time that I play, there are a minimum of bots present. As a result of this popularity I too have been kicked. I don't mind too much because I've been too cheap, and unable to commit to the steady practice schedule so I've never sent in the dollars. That and nobody ever asked me to join (sniff). It would IMHO be better if the lowest PPH player were the first to go. I also realize that it could be me more often in that special situation . When I do occasionally get locked out by this popularity I do think about joining. I've never had a bad experience with anyone at a GC site. Although Tek does get a bit chatty, no offense intended Tek.

Changing the subject slightly, if I don't reply to your messages in any game situation, it's nothing personal. I'm a lousy typist, ('cause I'm old), and when I begin to type anything a manta usually runs over me, unless it's Bushwack, he uses his raptor to do it. My microphone on my headset doesn't work, but I can hear most of the server side conversations. It's probably better that you can't hear me when the mantas run over me.

See you-s on the playing field.

Angry :bang:

The kicking situation is currently in the resolution stage. Flitter is working on it, and I think the only reason we haven't had a (public) announcement is because the new settings are being tested out on a nightly basis.. and since we've had problems with this in the past, I think that's a smart approach. All I can say is the server is public so that everyone can join, and this topic is being addressed because we have a great bunch of guys here that truly do want to provide a pleasurable gaming experience for all to enjoy. I think it's honorable that compromise was the route taken in this situation, because it's hard to balance a group full of paying members on one hand, and a loyal bunch of regulars on the other. Kinda makes me want to send in my dues early just to support GC and the countless leetizens we have putting in the effort for the players.

BTW: Angry VC Grad, I'm pretty sure you've been invited but forgot to type "yes" due to your poor typing skills :P. We've had a lot of fun fraggin with you and you're more than welcome to join, and don't worry primus is PROBABLY older than you.

Dear Angry:

I would be ecstatic if you were to join our crew. I have and always enjoy fraggin with you. You are a team player and an all around good guy and thats what we are all about here at the GC. We get together from time to time with other clans to scrim and so on, and I'd love to send you an invite to hop in and play with us. I understand the whole money issue on the dues, but please don't let the reserves issue, that Flitter is hard at work trying to fix, get you down.

Once again, I personally would like to see you consider the GC as your home. See you all in the Pubs. :peace:

Hey there Angry.

It would be worth every cent to join the GC.

My brother Primus introduced me to the GC in 04.

I really have respect for the way the GC is ran and organized. I think you would be impressed by the way GC handles and runs their community.

The UT guys are great and funny. They would make ya feel right at home.

Just watch out for that Wentz guy..... He's a little shady.... Just kiddin Wentz. :D:smiling2:

Hope you join us.

Having dropped in for a quick visit to prevent myself from being purged I figured I maight as well post something relevant. I played as a member of a clan in the UT GOtY for years. The problems I encountered were primarily related to time constraints. Managing the clansite forums and server were a major investment of time and effort. GC has a popular series of public servers. Most of the time that I play, there are a minimum of bots present. As a result of this popularity I too have been kicked. I don't mind too much because I've been too cheap, and unable to commit to the steady practice schedule so I've never sent in the dollars. That and nobody ever asked me to join (sniff). It would IMHO be better if the lowest PPH player were the first to go. I also realize that it could be me more often in that special situation . When I do occasionally get locked out by this popularity I do think about joining. I've never had a bad experience with anyone at a GC site. Although Tek does get a bit chatty, no offense intended Tek.

Changing the subject slightly, if I don't reply to your messages in any game situation, it's nothing personal. I'm a lousy typist, ('cause I'm old), and when I begin to type anything a manta usually runs over me, unless it's Bushwack, he uses his raptor to do it. My microphone on my headset doesn't work, but I can hear most of the server side conversations. It's probably better that you can't hear me when the mantas run over me.

If I haven't asked you to join it's because I'm another old fart that doesn't type well and about every message I send results in my death! :( Heck at 52 I think there are only a few older than me (Primus is a pup). I didn't join for a long time too. It wasn't the $$$. I was having more than enough fun on the pubs and I didn't really think about it. Then I started feeling guilty. I was having so much fun with this game and had only contributed the initial cost of the game itself to the UT cause. I really felt I needed to contribute and GC was always seemed the best run of the bunch. Anyway I'm happy I joined though it hasn't gained me any sympathy from the other GC members. They still happily smash me as often as possible though they do share tips on how to smash back. :smiling2:

Anyway consider yourself invited to join!!!

If I haven't asked you to join it's because I'm another old fart that doesn't type well and about every message I send results in my death! :( Heck at 52 I think there are only a few older than me (Primus is a pup). I didn't join for a long time too. It wasn't the $$$. I was having more than enough fun on the pubs and I didn't really think about it. Then I started feeling guilty. I was having so much fun with this game and had only contributed the initial cost of the game itself to the UT cause. I really felt I needed to contribute and GC was always seemed the best run of the bunch. Anyway I'm happy I joined though it hasn't gained me any sympathy from the other GC members. They still happily smash me as often as possible though they do share tips on how to smash back. :smiling2:

Anyway consider yourself invited to join!!!

Offended??? Hardly...Pretty much I play UT whilst drinking; so perhaps I start to talk. However, if that is unwanted on your part, then turn down voice chat volume. LOL. I figure the server has it, and since I (and others) have fun using it...since it's there...why not?

However, out of respect for old folks :biglaugha: I will tone it down when you are on...I don't want you having to throw your cane at the monitor or anything.

Anyways...much respect cuz you are great player. And holy cow! Cannon is 52! No way your reflexes are that good. Now I know you are botting. heh