Ethernet card throughput

I downloaded a diagnostic utility for my realtek network adapter.

When I ran it, it said my throughput was about 12-14 Kbps (kilo bits per second).

Is this good, bad or average?

If this is a standard 10/100 NIC then its horrible. Running at 100Mbps in full duplex should yield a thoroughput of 200Mbps, but of course thats not counting the overhead. And you will never really reach the theoretical limits anyways.

If you really want to test your throughput, you'll need to hook the machine up to an Ethernet with another computer on it and download a bunch of files that way. Otherwise you're not going to ever see throughput faster than your modem, which looks like appx. 1.5mbps. If you hook up to a fast network you'll probably see your throughput limited by the speed of your hard disk.

that's just your internet connection speed. that's a horrible upload speed by the way. you're on a 1mbps down 128kbps up connection it appears.

i have about the worst internet speeds around and i'm still at 1.5mbps and 640kbps. i now feel blessed. lol.

This is funny to me because I have an advertised 6Meg Down, 256k upload.

I do a speed test and it says ~4.4Meg Down, and righ on 256k up.

So if I were to tweak my cfg file in source what would I need to change

Right now I run:

cl_cmdrate 15-20

cl_updaterate 20

rate 25000

interp 0.05

cl_upspeed 200-300 depending on on performance

Anything higher than these and automatic weapons will only get about 2-5 shots to hit targets before they stop registering.

you never get advertised down. Im supposed to get 5, but its 4.87, so its not that bad. I tried out the 15Mbps down 5Mbps up for a few days... not really worth the extra 15-20 bucks a month.

so jealous of that upload speed.

yes it is pretty nice :D

Right now I run:

cl_cmdrate 15-20

cl_updaterate 20

rate 25000

interp 0.05

Anything higher than these and automatic weapons will only get about 2-5 shots to hit targets before they stop registering.

I've always used lower rates because if I don't the game just doesn't feel right.. oh maybe this is why I have never seen a shot not register :unsure:

but yea, I think I run 25 and 25 and leave interp at default.

(edited)

if you get 100fps all the time then use cmdrate and updaterate at 100. if you've noticed in netgraph your out is your fps. one of the reasons that servers lag is because people have their settings too high so that they don't get 100fps all the time. hence why your in drops severely when the bomb goes off. if everyone played with 100fps i'm sure you'd see much better registration and far more consistent game play.

not sure what upspeed is.

interp should be at 0.01 as that's cal.

my autoexec config below for optimal settings.

cl_ragdoll_physics_enable 0

cl_phys_props_enable 0

cl_interp 0.01

cl_crosshairscale 3000

fps_max 101

rate 20000

cl_updaterate 100

cl_cmdrate 100

Edited by Cujo

is it better to get an ethernet card or does it matter. i use the intagated mobo one would my prefomance be better if i used a pci type card instead?

I doubt it. Your ethernet controller is usually not going to be a bottleneck anyway; even if it was only working at half speed you might not notice. Of course, if it's unreliable and screws up half the packets it sends out that'd be a different story.

Right now I run:

cl_cmdrate 15-20

cl_updaterate 20

rate 25000

interp 0.05

Don't bother fiddling with cl_upspeed. That only controls how fast you stand up or crouch. It has nothing to do with internet speeds.