Mysterous Router Issue

EbilDustBunny

So even though my dad is being a jerk to me right now... He pretty much told me " YOU work at <insert job here> I thought you knew everything." Totally a ignorant thing to say... <x 100> when you say it to your daughter... reguardless I'll try to figure this thing out for him.

My router seems to lock my two computers out from the internet... everytime the power flickers and they have to reconnect to the Wireless network... they get back on the network but loose internet.

1. Through to network connection and delete the connect from their PC and try re-entering the WEP. That does not work.

2. reboot their PC... nothing.

3. reboot thr router... also does not work

Then I reset the wireless network... get a new WEP key and have to type 24 letters (twice) on each machine and they they get internet... I don't really like this answer. The power is always going out. It's hurricane season after all.

If anyone has a guess on why my router is locking them off the internet or wut not that would be great. Right now... I don't feel like touching anyother PC besides mine.

turn off WEP? if you/they're worried about someone in your neighborhood finding your non broadcasting SSID and spoofing MAC addresses, they know how to break your WEP. seriously, WEP isn't secure. you're not broadcasting and you are using MAC filtering, right?

if they're nervous, turn on WPA2. if they don't have a WPA2 enabled router, tell them "your daughter that works at <insert job here> recommends you consider the security vulnerabilities of using an unsecured wireless network."

you get commission, right?

turn off WEP? if you/they're worried about someone in your neighborhood finding your non broadcasting SSID and spoofing MAC addresses, they know how to break your WEP. seriously, WEP isn't secure. you're not broadcasting and you are using MAC filtering, right?

if they're nervous, turn on WPA2. if they don't have a WPA2 enabled router, tell them "your daughter that works at <insert job here> recommends you consider the security vulnerabilities of using an unsecured wireless network."

you get commission, right?

no commission

lol... but WPA2 might mess up my DS wireless lol :P

GC Alumni
(edited)

Oh yeah no-one is smart enough in my neighborhood to figure out pass WEP. At least not in the range of my wireless.

i'll try this later... i'm feeling lazy.

but it doesn't anwser my noobish question/wonder on why my router banns them from getting the net when they reconnect after a power flicker

Edited by EbilDustBunny

linksys is evil

I've not had much in the way of issues with linksys. I had one problem(can't remember what it was tho) that was fixed once I upgraded the firmware. And it's run flawless ever since(couple of years now).

Been thinking about swapping it out for a USRobotics. Just to see if I can get better range with it. I have a 2 story house and have some dead spots with this linksys.

Lunk, I have some dead spots in my two story house with my Linksys as well.. Im thinking about making a better antenna to boost it further..

Try placing the antennas at 90 degree angles from each other. That will max your range. If one antenna doesn't get it, the other will that way.

If I remember right, the 2.4ghz transmit out of the side of the antenna, leaving a cone of silence projecting from the tip. Putting them at 90 degrees to each other should maximize the coverage.

is the router connected to the internet? on the status page does it say connected?

yeah my PC is directly connected to the router... but everyone else is on the wireless. I never lose the internet....

you didn't answer my question...

have you tried simply disabling and enabling the wireless on said broken computers?

Lunk, I have some dead spots in my two story house with my Linksys as well.. Im thinking about making a better antenna to boost it further..

Want a quick 12-15 dB gain?

http://www.netscum.com/~clapp/wireless.html

I humbly submit the CanTenna! Also references a passive repeater, which depending on your dedication level you may want to consider. Put a passive with a whip up tied into a cantenna aimed for greatest gain (well, you can use signal strength on the testing computer) and voila, dead spots cleared up! Of course, I imagine that would require many hours and some cursing...

Want a quick 12-15 dB gain?

http://www.netscum.com/~clapp/wireless.html

I humbly submit the CanTenna! Also references a passive repeater, which depending on your dedication level you may want to consider. Put a passive with a whip up tied into a cantenna aimed for greatest gain (well, you can use signal strength on the testing computer) and voila, dead spots cleared up! Of course, I imagine that would require many hours and some cursing...

:lol:

GC Alumni
(edited)
well turn off SSID broadcast, turn on MAC filtering, and secretly shut down WEP.

okay i just tried getting this to work for like 30-40 mins.

- smacked off my WEP.

- turned off SSID boardcast.

- uploaded the MAC filtering for wireless only...

- Walked over to dad's PC... did the little manual connection....

It didn't see it anyways...

- tried putting up a WEP 64-bit... still no go

- boardcasted... dad's compy connected.... but I wanted the hidden SSID network.

- Turned it off... dad's pc fell of the net

- tried manual connection... it still didn't find it.

I gave up and did my temp solution... I loath that hunk of junk. I can get a program to sniff out the SSID bit i'm too tired to find one.

Edited by EbilDustBunny

Wow!! I have a public library up the street, but its not line of site.. To bad I dont live close to a McDonalds..

Pshaw! That just means MORE GAIN!!!

Of course, there are strict limits, so without a license of some sort, you're S.O.L.

Now, I hear that 2.4 GHz is perfectly within the limits of Amateur Radio operators, so if you get your ham license, you can increase your ERP a good bit. Maybe enough to hit the library and listen back above the noise. Hrmm... Also, you'll need to find a way to throw your call sign in the mix, which is normally done by setting the SSID as your call (usually these mods are done at the AP), but I'm sure that can be taken care of.

Well, that or, you know, just use the Internet at home.