Hacking: An Ethics Discussion

Unclean

When I first starting playing CS I was happy when i had 2 kills per map and often would be happy to have less than 12 deaths.

Reasons why I sucked that much:

1. No experience with controls

2. Only my third first person shooter game at the time (halo and halo2 were the other ones dont really help when you play with a controller then a keyboard)

3. Dial-up (granted I dont think having dsl or cable would of helped my suckness but would of possibly decreased the amount of time it took for me to get better)

4. Didn't know layout of the maps

Would aimbot have helped me get better?

I personally think it may of helped me get an idea of how to spot enemies easier but would of put me at a disadvantage in the long run. If I had recieved such a help when I started I would accelerated my game level faster but I would of reached the top of my game level sooner. Right now I believe I still have alot of skill to gain and the skill I have gained feels so good to have developed on my own.

However, I understand when someone who first starts the game and doesn't know anything about it would decide to use an aimbot or some other type of hacks or give up on the game. For the best way for these new gamers to gain that skill is to have people give them pointers, tips, strats, etc... I had a friend give me this help and without I do believe I would of quit playing CS:S within a matter of a few days.

I am glad and proud of myself to say I am 100% free of any kind of hacks and will stay that way.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
However, I understand when someone who first starts the game and doesn't know anything about it would decide to use an aimbot or some other type of hacks or give up on the game. For the best way for these new gamers to gain that skill is to have people give them pointers, tips, strats, etc... I had a friend give me this help and without I do believe I would of quit playing CS:S within a matter of a few days.

You raise an interesting and rational point (unlike some of the posts in this thread). It's tough adjusting to a new game, especially if it's online and even more so if you're new to PC gaming and your hardware is inadequate. In the CS community for example, it's tough for newbies to enjoy the game because there are so many jerks out there that would like to make everyone feel unwelcome in CS. What is a player to do if everyone is better than them, hates them, does not want to teach them, and cannot play with evenly skilled opponents? The community itself is responsible for raising cheaters, imo.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)
I think hacking is bad. I also think it is a bad idea to hack, because it is frowned upon. I think the act of hacking is of a rude nature. I think people that hack are bad people. I think the word hacking sounds like something a bad person would do after having a bad day. Generally someone that is caught hacking is considered to be a noob, making the act that much more, bad. Hacking rhymes with smacking. Hacking is not the same as hawking. Hawking is a cool word, but hacking is not. I once knew a guy named jack, however he did not hack. If you lack the jack smack to be considered a hack, then your car probably has a bike rack in the back next to your bumper sticker that says I don't take no flack. Why the wiggity wack can't you hack after a bottle of jack and a pancake stack, mack....... annnnnnnnnd I'm spent, just like this topic!

You're wrong because hacking is not cheating. Hackers create cheats, cheaters use them. :boo::D

Edited by ash-

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

(unlike some of the posts in this thread).

LOL! :biglaugha:

Yea, your post is actually a shining example. What have you added to this discussion except nonsense and igniting a flamewar with insults?

Edited by ash-

Yea, your post is actually a shining example. What have you added to this discussion except nonsense and igniting a flamewar with insults?

Excuse me, Lieutenant. Is there something wrong?

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)
Ok I will try and not bring top gun into this post, its gonna be hard, but i will try.

So theoretically if you let someone have an aimbot or walls or something to help them, when you take it away, there gonna be in the same situation they were before, not knowing how to aim well or listen for people without seeing them through the wall.

The walls possibly have a purpose, seeing how the other team moves, but you can do that by sitting in spectator mode and not hacking.

Aimbot would wreck there aim because when they got a headshot shooting someone they may think they shot him in the right place, but in reality the program brought his cursor to his head, so when you take the program away it will make them shoot in the wrong area. There shot will be screwed up more than before.

If there was such a handicap setting in CSS then it would have to be developed by the game developers, not a 12 year old kid thinking he is going to kill everyone with this new program.

You argument about wallhacks not allowing players to pay attention to sounds when they turn them off is false. With a wallhack you could see where players are moving behind a wall and put the footstep sounds to a picture. You can enable mat_wireframe 1 and sv_cheats 1 on a listen server with some bots to get used to the location of footstep sounds while being able to actually see where the player that is generating the sounds is at. The game allows you to cheat and gain "interesting" insights offline as well.

There already is such a handicap setting in CS:S. I already mentioned that servers can enable the sv_aim 1 command to allow server side autoaim.

Yes, there is something seriously wrong. The people that created the board rules cannot seem to follow them and it irks me.

GC FORUM GUIDELINES *READ ME*

Board Guidelines

-Be friendly

-Be positive

-Don't spam

-Use clean language

-Contribute to discussions

I was positive until Lunk began with his obligatory insults.

Edited by ash-

You argument about wallhacks not allowing players to pay attention to sounds when they turn them off is false. With a wallhack you could see where players are moving behind a wall and put the footstep sounds to a picture. You can enable mat_wireframe 1 and sv_cheats 1 on a listen server with some bots to get used to the location of footstep sounds while being able to actually see where the player that is generating the sounds is at. The game allows you to cheat and gain "interesting" insights offline as well.

There already is such a handicap setting in CS:S. I already mentioned that servers can enable the sv_aim 1 command to allow server side autoaim.

Yes, there is something seriously wrong. The people that created the board rules cannot seem to follow them and it irks me.

Board Guidelines

-Be friendly

-Be positive

-Don't spam

-Use clean language

You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered with hair.

You went from being defensive toward Lunk to being offensive toward M2. And I wish people would stop giving him props for admitting he used to cheat. He didn't stop because he realized he was taking from other people's gaming experience--he stopped because, as he said, he was afraid of getting caught by VAC and losing 30-50 bucks. At least then we could have said, well he learned his lesson.

I think it is being weak character that anyone would think about how they AREN'T as good or want to BE as good as the good players without working for it. What ever happened to respecting the process of GETTING as good as the good players and even then understanding that not everyone gets to be the best.

Hacks didn't teach you how to learn to spot people. Seeing through walls didn't teach you where to shoot or how to control your fire or strafe or the flow of a map or the l33t spots or how to guage distance by sound. You learned how to spot people over time, and could have learned the skill with out being a cheater (in the past).

When someone is dominating, and you are a noob, stop complaining or trying to rationalize how hacks are justified because they would only make you a little more competitive.

!!!SWITCH TO SPECTATE AND LEARN!!!

Download and watch demos of the best teams, switch to spectate and watch the monster players, and play as much as possible. If you do not care to put in the effort, then be content with being a mediocre player or search out one of the dozens of servers with NOOB in the name.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

Board Guidelines

-Be friendly

-Be positive

-Don't spam

-Use clean language

You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered with hair.

If certain persons can't follow the board rules and choose to insult me, challenge me to be banned, derail the thread with spam and nonsense, do not contribute to discussions, then you set a bad example for the rest of the GC community. I seriously question how some of the people that have responded in here can call themselves GC.

Maybe if you went back and READ(like you pointed out for us to do so many times) and comprehended what I posted. You might find that I insulted noone. Just made observations about your post and asked a question.

But since you have a pre-determined bias towards me. You couldn't read it for what it is. You automatically assume it's a personal attack. Which it was not. As I stated previously. It wouldn't have mattered if Fatty, M2, Duke or anyone else made those statements. I would've responded the same way.

A bit of advice take or leave it. Lose the chip on your shoulder, realize you don't have all the answers and everyone is not out to get you. And yes people won't always agree with your opinion.

With that I'm done posting in this thread. I'm going to sit back and continue to chuckle and laugh at the things being said here. Because it is rather amusing. :peace:

What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing. How 'bout we get you in your p.j.'s and we hit the hay.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
You went from being defensive toward Lunk to being offensive toward M2. And I wish people would stop giving him props for admitting he used to cheat. He didn't stop because he realized he was taking from other people's gaming experience--he stopped because, as he said, he was afraid of getting caught by VAC and losing 30-50 bucks. At least then we could have said, well he learned his lesson.

I think it is being weak character that anyone would think about how they AREN'T as good or want to BE as good as the good players without working for it. What ever happened to respecting the process of GETTING as good as the good players and even then understanding that not everyone gets to be the best.

I think it's hightime that we stop discussing my ethics when it came to cheating because no one on these boards is a saint. Until you follow the Bible letter by letter, sell all your possesions, care for and invite homeless people into your home, you cannot attack my ethics when I was a teen. We've all done unethical things while we were teenagers.

M2 put words in my mouth that I never said or thought, that's why I was "offensive" toward M2.

Why should only the obscenely good players be allowed to have all the fun though? Is it ethical for good players like you to dominate the competition? Imo, it all boils down to someone having an extreme advantage which makes it no better than cheating. If I spent all the time in the world being dominated by a team full of good players, I would quit the game too.

The Obscenely good players are obscenely good because they practiced! Comparing people who practiced to get good to hackers is the funniest thing i have read yet in these forums.

I guess in your thinking I could walk onto an NFL field and be like, "guys im new but make me look like an all star and give me all the advantages you can so all of your hard work to be good at something goes down the drain."

In your thinking people who practice hard at something should not in anyway be better than the ones who dont. I guess someone should be able to be a CEO of a company and be a high school drop out just because we dont want the College grads to have all the fun.

And Yes it is completely ethical for good players to dominate the competition. We practice for a reason, to be good. If everything was meant to be even this wouldnt be called a competition.

Thank You, Chief.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

Maybe if you went back and READ(like you pointed out for us to do so many times) and comprehended what I posted. You might find that I insulted noone. Just made observations about your post and asked a question.

But since you have a pre-determined bias towards me. You couldn't read it for what it is. You automatically assume it's a personal attack. Which it was not. As I stated previously. It wouldn't have mattered if Fatty, M2, Duke or anyone else made those statements. I would've responded the same way.

A bit of advice take or leave it. Lose the chip on your shoulder, realize you don't have all the answers and everyone is not out to get you. And yes people won't always agree with your opinion.

With that I'm done posting in this thread. I'm going to sit back and continue to chuckle and laugh at the things being said here. Because it is rather amusing. :peace:

So ash the only reason you stopped was due to VAC then. Great ethics there. Ruin the game for alot of new folks to get some gratification for yourself. You say you don't like people who boast and insult newbies and yet you clearly did more damage by using cheats against them. Classic.

I read it. There's nothing positive about your statement. I said nothing negative to incite your insult. If you feel that I have a bias towards you, then maybe you ought to tone down what you say to me lest you incite me in the process? You knew what the outcome of your statement was going to be.

M2 put words in my mouth that I never said or thought, that's why I was "offensive" toward M2.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ladies. I mean they rev my engines, but they don't belong in the newsroom.

It is anchor*man*, not anchor*lady*. And that is a scientific fact.

(edited)

we should turn all this information into a book and sell it on half.com, I'd read it in the bathroom after getting headshotted a few times.. just to weigh out my options.. plus I'm a top gun fan

Edited by Wentz

Download and watch demos of the best teams, switch to spectate and watch the monster players, and play as much as possible. If you do not care to put in the effort, then be content with being a mediocre player or search out one of the dozens of servers with NOOB in the name.

Yea go dl some of my old demos. I think there are still some on gotfrag? :blink:

In all seriousness this thread has really just become a ginormous flame war and should probably be closed.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
May this thread quit being hijacked or closed before things get worse?

I agree.

I think we should all just give each other a big hug :hug: and all sing along

They say we're young and we don't know

We won't find out until we grow

Well I don't know if all that's true

'Cause you got me, and baby I got you

Babe

I got you babe I got you babe

They say our love won't pay the rent

Before it's earned, our money's all been spent

I guess that's so, we don't have a pot

But at least I'm sure of all the things we got