Hacking: An Ethics Discussion

Unclean

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, back to my last post (which everyone just blew past in their rush to insult each other) :shrug03:

Suppose for a minute that somewhere out there there is a high school kid with a physical handicap which limits his (or her) hand/eye coordination. Cerbreal Palsey is the example I used way back when. Nowe suppose that sever of this persons' friends like to play an online FPS game, for the sake of argument we'll call this game Counter Strike.

Said handicapped person wants to join his friends in a game, but they have to play on a public server because none of them can host their own server. Would it be unethical for this person to use a mild aimbot to assist him in hitting targets? Would it be "ethical" for this person to get killed constantly and never get a kill because their hands shake so badly that they can't hold their mouse steady? Would we condem that person as an evil cheater who was ruining our fun, even if as would be likely, the aimbot only made them a middling average player at best?

According to some of the responses I'm reading here, the answer would be a resounding YES!

Kinda disturbing.

Life isn't always black and white.

Edited by Wolfsblood

Well, well, well....

I don't think this would have escalated so far without all the needs to quote each other...something about quoting someone and feeling the need respond to every single thing said in a thread....it's more like standing up and point at someone than just taking a turn at the mic.

Ash was actually trying to bring some insight and took a risk...but in doing so probably should have predicted some comments about it.

Lunk does what he does, says what's on his mind.

Neither of them were able to give up the last word.

And then Ash, it just seemed (and yes, I just read this entire thread) you felt the need to address every other person in this topic directly and spent an awful long time in here.

Now, after your first post, I couldn't care less if you used to hack, tried em out, or whatever. Any of you. But you almost really needed to expect some issue with this. If my name surfaced (ficticious analogy) as a sexual predator from 15 years ago or something, it might change my employment status as a teacher. My point is, for you, Ash, that your need to defend yourself and your view, was a little extreme. That is what I felt continued to fuel the fire.

But, it was a group effort to get this topic to where it is. I didn't really see anyone trying...well a few..to move on. But then someone would quote someone and drag us all back.

Group effort = topic closed.

Unclean, nice thought, but the topic is too far gone to go through and clean it. Maybe make yourself a combination of polls to gather some data that is more quantitative rather than, and I use this word lightly, qualitative.

If someone has a real issue with me closing this topic, feel free to slap Duke.