BBQ the Slasher Way

Shropshire Slasher

Well...

This past week I spent time with the extended Slasher Family... Mrs. Slasher and the little Slashers, Grandma and Grandpa Slasher, the Slasher sibs and significant others, nieces, nephews.

On my designated day to provide the vittles, I provided honest to goodness, genuine Q. That is, slow cooked over hardwood chips type Q.

I built my smokers out of... large terre cotta pots! I got the idea from the episode of Good Eats on Food Network where Alton Brown builds a smoker out of... a terre cotta pot!

Basically you take 2 pots, one as base, the other inverted as lid. You put a hot plate in the bottom with a pan of chips on top. You set a grille grate down in the bottom pot, place your meat of choice, lid on, set a grille thermometer in the hole in the clay pot and off you go.

I got up at 4:45 thursday morning and cranked up the pots. I built 2. One got a boston butt (pork shoulder) that I brined overnight and rubbed with a mixture of spices (cumin, fennel, corriander, paprika, garlic powder). The other got a beef brisket that i rubbed with yellow mustard and spices and brown sugar. The pork got a mixture of applewood and hickory chips for the smoke, while the brisket got oak chips that came from Jack Daniels barrels. And wow... were they steeped in the Old #7!

They went for upwards of 12 hours on the smokers, followed by a 1 hour rest wrapped in HDAF (heavy duty aluminum foil). I sliced up the beef and shredded the pork and accepted the wide-eyed praise of family and friends.

I'll try to take some pics next time I fire them up. If curious, you can search the net for clay pot smokers or Alton Brown and clay pot or whatever. Many people have built these, and most have met with the same success I have. I can totally recommend this to any Q afficianados out there.

Cheers,

SS

Is it supposed to be so charred on top?

If you want to win money, you gotta cook it slow, gotta soak your wood in water before it goes on the fire (for a day or more) to get the sweet smoke and it will kinda carmelize the outside of the meat. The slower you cook, the more tender the meat...that brisket could just about be cut with a fork when she was done. My dad used to be a chef and growing up we made wine and won 2nd place in the Houston wine festival in the dry red category and he used to win baking and grilling contests at state and county fairs in Texas, California and Indiana and that's where I get my training. I've done some other cooking schools in Chicago but not grilling schools.

And I'd love to see that homemade smoker if you do have any pix.

here's the DIY terra cotta pot smoker goodness:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=217722

shrop, any of the slasher's got any good bbq slop recipe's?

Good Q doesn't need sauce. ;)

Actually, I prefer a good ketchup based sauce with a bit of vinegar. Not too sweet though.

But if you search the net you can find a fistful of recipes. There are ketchup based, mustard based, and vinegar based.

Also look for "mop" recipes. more of a marinade or brine than a BBQ sauce that is basted on during cooking. Particularly ribs or brisket.

Remember that anything with too much sugar (particularly commercial BBQ sauces) will burn if applied over high heat or too early during cooking, so take care. Usually they are only applied at the last minute.

Plus, with stuff like brisket or pork shoulder, you leave the fat cap intact during cooking. Most saucing will get lost as you peel off the cap for service.

Enjoy.

Gotta love Good eats it's by far one of the best shows on the food network. If you like food and science.

I started watching this right after i moved into my current house, in like Fall 2002.

Poor Alton had the one show and it moved timeslots etc. Fast forward 4 years and he's everywhere on the network.

It is a good show, with enough food, science and camp (both intentional and not) to make it fun.