87, 89, 93 octane

Shazz

After running the 93 octane in my vehicle...I decided to search out "Is it really worth it?" "Do I really get better gas mileage?".

I think I found my answer.

The State of Minnesota Dept. of Commerce did a study on it. Here is the link. It is PDF format. Make sure and read page 2. It is only 2 pages. http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDocs/Com...OctaneFacts.pdf

Do you think it is worth the extra few bucks a tank for the better gas?

The guy at the shop where I get work done says that the premium gas has additives in it that will help keep the engine cleaner. I think he recommended to pump premium every third or fourth time.

As far as the car running better you might want to just experiment and see if it makes a difference. I have an Integra and I feel no difference between 87 and 93, but I used to have a Probe GT and it ran noticeably weaker the first and only time I ever pumped 89 instead of 93 (by accident, the pumps were ordered 87, 93, 89 at this station :unsure:).

Shazzz, does your car manual recommend premium fuel? If so, continue to get premium. Anything less will result in engine knock and slowly build up deposits in your engine, significantly lowering the life of your car. Also, you will notice performance decreases with lower octane fuels.

However, if your car manual specifies 87 or doesn't specify, then buying anything more than 87 grade is a waste. Your car doesn't go "oooh! You bought me the good stuff. Thanks!" :)

Shazzz, does your car manual recommend premium fuel? If so, continue to get premium. Anything less will result in engine knock and slowly build up deposits in your engine, significantly lowering the life of your car. Also, you will notice performance decreases with lower octane fuels.

However, if your car manual specifies 87 or doesn't specify, then buying anything more than 87 grade is a waste. Your car doesn't go "oooh! You bought me the good stuff. Thanks!" :)

Nailed it on the head. If your owner manual says premium fuel, go with premium. Unless you have made modifications to your engine, run whatever the manual recommends. Otherwise your just asking for trouble. Or just wasting money.

This is true. Basically only the high preformance cars need 93 octane, but like you said, your owner's manual will let you know.

my motorcycle requires 90+ and I have never put anything less than that in. My old vr6 required 90+. I ran with 87 for a while and could tell a noticable difference. Poor gas mileage, plus the engine would slightly knock, back to 93 and everything went well.

Higher Octane will burn cleaner, making your car more efficient, equalling better gas mileage (don't read "better" as in "noticably better"). I could get my dad to come post here about it (he loves to lecture) but I'm not sure any of us has the time to read it...I use 87 normally and before emmission tests will fill up with 91 before going for the 3 hour drive before the test. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to pass the tests with this method. My old '91 Oldsmobile Cutlas Supreme was deemed unfit in terms of emmissions and the tester even told me that it really wasn't worth it cause I'd have to replace most of the inner workings of the car to get it to pass. Then my dad was like "pfft, put 91 in it, drive it for 2-3 hours before the test"...it passed with a "like new" rating lol...a year later I had to scrap the car cause the fuel pump died and it wasn't worth it to save...but it could drive clean!