s939 cpu's

dragonfly

How long do you guys figure s939 cpu's will be available? I'm taking a peak at the 4800+ at the moment, and wondering how much longer they'll be available. I want to wait for as long as I can, but I dont want them to disappear on me! :D I know it'll be a while, but how long of a while do you all wager?

Yeah, I do. I'm happy with my 4200+. Just curious about it. I'd like to get a 4800 before they disappear, what with the 2mb cache and 2oomhz speed increase. That's all.

I haven't owned an amd before but tell you that going 4200+ to 4800+ is worthless. waste of money. Just overclock your 4200+. amd processors max out at around 2.9-3.0 Ghz anyway. More cache will not give you a significant boost. Go with the Conroe if you want to upgrade

They will be around for a while. Think about it, its one of the most used AMD sockets right now. With dual core support, it will be around for a while. Just expct the selection to diminish within the next 6 months as new technology is released.

Heck, socket A's are still being sold.

don't you have a good 939 cpu right now?

Yeah, I do. I'm happy with my 4200+. Just curious about it. I'd like to get a 4800 before they disappear, what with the 2mb cache and 2oomhz speed increase. That's all.

I love my 4800+...and truthfully, I plan on keeping it for 2 years...

I had my 4000+ for almost two years and it is still a top notch proc and good overclocker.

I suppose unless you HAVE to have the best of the best (i.e. Core 2 extreme or FX-62) this proc is about top of the line except for the uber-733t ones mentioned before.

Unless you have already maxxed out your vid card processing power with super SLI and crossfire and find yourself severely limited by your cpu, then i'd say get one...b/c i don't think you'll see mmore than a 5-8% gain in gaming performance...

But, the other side of my brain says get it, b/c it will be a good proc for the next 2 years, before it is totally outclassed.

There really aren't any games now that can tax a 4800+ to the limit, especially if you have good vid card set up and 2 gig of ram.

imho

I love my 4800+...and truthfully, I plan on keeping it for 2 years...

I had my 4000+ for almost two years and it is still a top notch proc and good overclocker.

I suppose unless you HAVE to have the best of the best (i.e. Core 2 extreme or FX-62) this proc is about top of the line except for the uber-733t ones mentioned before.

Unless you have already maxxed out your vid card processing power with super SLI and crossfire and find yourself severely limited by your cpu, then i'd say get one...b/c i don't think you'll see mmore than a 5-8% gain in gaming performance...

But, the other side of my brain says get it, b/c it will be a good proc for the next 2 years, before it is totally outclassed.

There really aren't any games now that can tax a 4800+ to the limit, especially if you have good vid card set up and 2 gig of ram.

imho

That's what I was thinking. I've not had my 4200 for 2 years though, but do plan on keeping my system for at least that long. Actually, 2 years and I'll be out of school paying back OSAP, hopefully getting married in the year after, etc etc. Dang, still single. Lots of work to do... :D

yes a 4200 is a waste over a 4600. i would even say just get a 3800.

to be honest though guys, the 4800 has already been outclassed by the new core 2s. in lots of games it's not a huge deal but i'll definately do benchmarks like crazy the day i upgrade to core 2 because i bet you games like cs:s and ut 2k4 will me MUCH faster.

to go from an amd dual core to another amd dual core is really a waste of money at this stage. just save the couple hundred bucks and put it towards your new core 2 purchase down the road.