HD DVD players

Nick Soapdish

I'm thinking about investing in an HD dvd player. I know nothing about them other than the picture is phenomenal. I have a DVI input to my LCD screen but not an HDMI. I know there are HDMI to DVI cables out the, but one of my friends mentioned that a DVI connection would break some copyright feature of the HD dvd players.

So....

what's a good price for a player?

what's a good brand?

is it DVI compatible?

should I wait?

thnx

Buy an xbox 360 and the HDDVD player for it. Just an fyi you will not be able to get an HD-DVD player at walmart for $20 in the foreseeable future.

The HDMI thing you shouldn't worry about. So far only Warner Studios is pushing the ICT (Image Constraint Token) that will force down-converting when using analog connections (DVI is digital so you shouldn't worry, plus you can find the connectors for relatively cheap, if not an HD-DVD player with DVI out) and at this point even they have said that it won't be until sometime in 07 that a film will have ICT and that it will be clearly marked on the packaging (personally I think it will never happen).

So far HD-DVD players are going to start around $500 USD (and still don't support 1080p) so expect to see MS to start selling lots of 360's with the HD-DVD player (I mean, for $100 more you get an xbox that does 1080p...no brainer)

The xbox 360 does not support 1080i for games, dvds I'm not sure. It supports HD DVD support; all games supported at 16:9 720p

The ps3 goes for $599, comes with 60gb HD, wi-fi b/g, and memory slots and 4 usb ports. Anyways, it has 2 channel blu-ray support which is up to 1080p

if you are into console gaming this is a great way to get 2 birds with one stone.

Blu-ray discs store 50 gb of data, compared with 9 gb on xbox360 dvd disc and 30gb on MS's add-on HD DVD.

Not sure if that helps.

The ps3 goes for $599, comes with 60gb HD, wi-fi b/g, and memory slots and 4 usb ports. Anyways, it has 2 channel blu-ray support which is up to 1080p

if you are into console gaming this is a great way to get 2 birds with one stone.

Nick, you're looking specifically for HD-DVD, right? A PS3 wouldn't help with that, at least not to my knowledge.

Buy an xbox 360 and the HDDVD player for it. Just an fyi you will not be able to get an HD-DVD player at walmart for $20 in the foreseeable future.

The HDMI thing you shouldn't worry about. So far only Warner Studios is pushing the ICT (Image Constraint Token) that will force down-converting when using analog connections (DVI is digital so you shouldn't worry, plus you can find the connectors for relatively cheap, if not an HD-DVD player with DVI out) and at this point even they have said that it won't be until sometime in 07 that a film will have ICT and that it will be clearly marked on the packaging (personally I think it will never happen).

So far HD-DVD players are going to start around $500 USD (and still don't support 1080p) so expect to see MS to start selling lots of 360's with the HD-DVD player (I mean, for $100 more you get an xbox that does 1080p...no brainer)

If HD DVD becomes the standard format for movies in the future, I will probably use that to justify getting a 360. :biglaugha:

I am waiting until there is a consensus on the HD format (HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray) before I decide to get a player for either of these. Reminds me of when DVDs were brand new and everyone was waiting for them to pick a single format. One of them ought to win eventually, then they will start selling like crazy and the prices may start to drop some.

you may be better served to wait, imho.

The xbox 360 does not support 1080i for games, dvds I'm not sure. It supports HD DVD support; all games supported at 16:9 720p

Blu-ray discs store 50 gb of data, compared with 9 gb on xbox360 dvd disc and 30gb on MS's add-on HD DVD.

Not sure if that helps.

It doesn't

Where do you get that the 360 doesn't support 1080i? I think you've zested your last lemon. Just because no one has made a game that uses 1080i doesn't mean it doesn't support it. It now supports 1080p (before the PS3 I might add)

Maverick' date='Nov 7 2006, 12:04 PM' post='375200']

Uh...I was playing Dead Rising in 1080i on my xbox 360

so....yup

I'd be VERY surprised if GoW doesn't suppord 1080i (I'll tell you tomorrow)

it does...but it's upscaled...you're better off playing at 720p as you won't get tearing (now if GoW is 1080p...THAT would be crizazy!)

What does "it doesnt" pertain to?

I get that information for the latest issue of PC MAG. where it compares the 360,ps3, and wii

so :P

it doesn't pertains to your answer helping :D

MS just released a patch a few weeks back that added 1080p

No games are in 1080p yet, and neither are any PS3 games...all games support 1080i

Magazines<internet

(i still <3 zester)