firewalls

auggybendoggy

Guys,

I'm a long time norton user and I'm sick of it. I know that 2003, 2004, 2005 all have a bun that arbitrairily causes them to turn the security off leaving you exposed. I've read about it and I'm tired of waiting a year to see when a new version will come out that does not have this.

I know you guys are truly learned and am hoping you all can tell me which is a better firewall.

Heres a good way to start.

Panda is out. I hate this wall more than norton.

so lets start from there.

Auggy

For the times I'm on a different network or not behind a router, I use Windows LiveOne Care firewall. The only reason I use it is because I have some folders I share for work that have top secret eyes only stuff in them ( :lol2: ). I've had it for about 4 months now, and I like it so far.

Any NAT (Network Address Translation) router will act as a firewall. When packets come in to the router, it needs to know where they go (since there could be any number of machines behind the NAT). If the packets aren't coming in to a port that's already being used for one of the machines (or a port you've manually set a forwarding rule for), they just get dropped. It's equivalent to putting a switchboard in your house, and then giving yourself some arbitrary extension. When a telemarketer calls, they probably won't know what extension you're at, and they're not going to sit there and try every one.

A NAT generally won't do some of the more interesting stuff that some software firewalls do, like blocking traffic to specific programs. It should protect you 100% against anything trying to attack your computer out of the blue, but is no protection at all against anyone exploiting some weakness of a program that you're using to browse the web, etc.

I'm saying that a router won't protect against some stuff, specifically stuff that you might inadvertantly bring onto yourself when downloading screensavers or w/e. I think an on-access scanner like what many antivirus programs have will take care of a lot of that. Depending on how careful you are and what websites you look at, you probably don't need antivirus software at all if you're protected by a NAT.