Recording Audio/Video

dragonfly

So my church needs to record audio/video for the services. I'm the guy who runs the soundboard atm, and so I'm kinda the guy incharge or setting this up. Right now we have a dvd recorder, which works ok... but it's pretty cheap. It needs an upgrade altogether.

We cant really go the whole buy a computer for it route, cause that's too expensive. My plan is buy a new dvd recorder and a camcorder for video. Audio goes straight in from the soundboard.

First, does anyone have any better (and relatively inexpensive) suggestions?

Second, what dvd recorder is recommended?

BEWARE

ok now that I have your attention don't buy a cheap camcorder just because it's digital. Our church bought a $500 Hitchi DVD recorder and it works fine for home videos and such but it sucked for recording the services. We ended up getting a canon XL2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16830120134

We paid a whole lot less and if you are interested I'll find out where we got it. I thing we paid like $2000 but we got a bunch of extras with it as well.

As far as DVD recorders there is no substitute for a decent PC to do it with but if you want a stand alone set-up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16882116048

isn't a bad one.

Thanks, Preacher. Are you really a preacher? Ok, back on topic...

The pastor has a pretty sweet pc for a pastor actually. He got a new one 2 years ago, and spent like 2200 on it, then got it all upgraded this last year. But a pc for recording is out of the question :(

As far as the camera, we are using a piece of junk at the moment. It's not great at all. The thing is, I dont even see why we record the services, seeing as its' a church of 70, most of which are old people who probably dont even have DVD's at home. Anyway, it's a place to start looking at. Thanks!

So my church needs to ......

wow.

Never judge a book by its cover eh? Ive talked with you and listened to your deathmetal. Never woulda guessed :)

BTW, while I listened to slayer/megadeth, I played guitar and sang in church choir for general hymns and special presentations like Amy Grant ( pre-pop), and various christian -rockish bands.

Just wanted to highlight this is all. GG

wow.

Never judge a book by its cover eh? Ive talked with you and listened to your deathmetal. Never woulda guessed :)

BTW, while I listened to slayer/megadeth, I played guitar and sang in church choir for general hymns and special presentations like Amy Grant ( pre-pop), and various christian -rockish bands.

HAHAHAH!!!! I know who Amy Grant is! (unfortunately! lol) Most Christian rockish bands I despise. But that's preference I suppose. It's funny, cause people dont usually think of 'deathmetal' as a genre of music, rather a way of life. I dont worship Satan, I'm a Christian of the "born-again" variety. Btw, do you have any samples for me yet, Laz???? :)

Thanks for the offer anonymo, but I think we're looking for something a little more permanent.

My suggestion is a 3 ccd camcorder.

If your lighting in the church is low then you need to buy a NICE camera from 2000-3000.

if you go 3000 you can get a sony HDFX1 which is a hi def 3 ccd camera I have and it's AWSOME.

couple that with vegas video and your rocking.

I believe if you get vegas 6 from B&H for 99 you get a free upgrade to V7.

As for audio you can get a small SD recorder like this,

http://www.music123.com/Zoom-MRS4B-Digital...r-i149332.music

its a small SD 4 track digital recorder and will plug right into the audio mixer. But running it into the camera really handles it all.

Its only advantage is if the tape runs out the audio does not stop so you grab it all. But syncing is a challenge :)

I'm doing wedding videos and I've learned the hard way : )

I would say if your lighting is good go with a low end 3 CCD camera. Dont go with a 1 CCD no matter the size. 3 CCD makes a workld of difference.

Aug

wow.

HAHAHAH!!!! I know who Amy Grant is! (unfortunately! lol) Most Christian rockish bands I despise. But that's preference I suppose. It's funny, cause people dont usually think of 'deathmetal' as a genre of music, rather a way of life. I dont worship Satan, I'm a Christian of the "born-again" variety. Btw, do you have any samples for me yet, Laz???? :)

Thanks for the offer anonymo, but I think we're looking for something a little more permanent.

Excuse my ignorance but do you mean born-again as in evangelical?

wow.

Excuse my ignorance but do you mean born-again as in evangelical?

If that means that I believe Jesus Christ, the Son of the GodHead is my personal saviour because of what He did for me and nothing that I can do to earn salvation, having my flesh been crucified with Him and given new life (eternal life) through His resurrection, gaining His rightly-earned righteousness instead of the result of the depravity of my own wicked heart,

then yes, I'm evangelical. :D:D:D

(NOW I understand why Paul always wrote in run-on sentances!!!!)