Cool software

-=SKArface=-

I have two computers (one linux, one windows) sitting on my desk. I really didn't want to have to switch keyboard and mouse to switch machines. Enter synergy (url below). Synergy lets you move your mouse from one computer's display to another computer's display and the keyboard is now focused on the other computer.

i.e. I can drag my mouse to my linux box (running X) and work on that computer with the mouse and keyboard that is attached to my windows box. (I keep the linux box's mouse and keyboard sitting behind my monitors in case I ever do need them.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

This works between windows, linux, and OSX. Best of all, it's free!

I'm confused...does it do it over a network connection somehow? What is better about this than a KVM Switch? Also Zest, you can get a perfectly good KVM for about $30.

I just can't figure out how this synergy does what it says it does...it's got to be over a network or internet right?

I never would've realized that we had one of the top Defender players in the world in our midst. Then again, I've never heard of Defender.

You're joking right? I suk

It says you're ranked #428 in the world.

And it also says he's first of 46371 in Quake 2. Pfffft.

I'm confused...does it do it over a network connection somehow? What is better about this than a KVM Switch? Also Zest, you can get a perfectly good KVM for about $30.

I just can't figure out how this synergy does what it says it does...it's got to be over a network or internet right?

I'm sure you can, I will do some research now on brands.

How many computers do you want to control? The more computers the more money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817107407

that's for 20 bucks + shipping for 2 computers

I like iogear as a brand, I own a few little items from them. Nothing like a switch or server though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817107702

we all know linksys is a good brand. here is one for 31 bucks

Newegg has a great selection if you want to browse thru their selection

Edited by ZesteR

Yup, it works over the network. It's similar to a KVM, but different. A KVM physically switches a keyboard, mouse, and monitor from one computer to another. Like unplugging the stuff and plugging it into another machine.

Synergy is software that watches your mouse movements and detects when you mouse off of one of your computer's screen. You tell synergy where each monitor is in relation to the other. So, if you have the following:

[A]

[C]

A, B, and C are all monitors/computers (assuming one display per machine). B is where your keyboard and mouse is plugged in.

You would run synergy on all three computers, Computer B would know that A is above and C is to the right. A would know that B is below. C would know that B is to the left. (it's part of the synergy config)

When you move your mouse from monitor B, to monitor C (which is on a different computer remember) synergy will transfer control of the pointer, and keyboard from B to C. i.e. you can drive computer C from the mouse and keyboard on computer A. It's like using dual displays but it works across computers not just monitors.

It doesn't really take the place of a KVM (at least not in the computer room environment), but for having multiple computers on your desk, it's really fantastic.

I run this at home. It works fine with all of the games I've tried it with. I had to turn off an option that dealt with bringing synergy to the foreground on monitor shifts. (so games wouldn't minimize when I moved from display to display) You can also lock the mouse/keyboard to the current display by turning on scroll lock.