Recommendations

boiler

I realize this is probably not posted in the correct place, but as there is a time consideration here, I wanted to get as many replys as I could before noon today.

I am giving serious consideration to getting an xbox 360. I have been a PS2 guy for several years, and absolutely love games like metal gear, grand theft auto, etc. I am considering going xbox partially due to $$$ and availability considerations. I know I will be missing out on metal gear, but I would be gaining GOW, halo 3 (and 1 and 2), and several other sweet titles.

First question: Am I making the right choice or should I really hold out for the PS3?

Second question: Give me some game recommendations if I am going to purchase the 360

I enjoy racing games, stealth/shooter games, and sports stuff primarily. You can already nix out madden 07, as I have this for PC. If I can get some convincing replys, then I will go buy the stuff today after noon eastern (when I get off work).

Oh, one more thing, PLEASE do not flame this with "ps3 sucks" rants, constructive advice only please. (So 'Mo and maverick need not post in this thread :D )

forget it all! get a Wii!!.

hah no j/k. From what i've heard from my friend who have a Xbox 360, they say it's great and they love it. Nice thing about Xbox is that if you're playing 1 game for a long time...You just hide your xbox behind your entertainment unit. And you can turn it on and off via your controller :D. Also if you wanna hack it it's a Firmware hack, not hardware! so you dont have to worry about making an incorrect solder connection.

I havn't seen or played the PS3 yet so i can't speak for it. I have played xbox once a while ago and it wasn't bad.

I know you think I'm a raving fanboi...but you have to understand that I started out a PS fanboi and used to hate MS. That's all I'll say.

That and MGS will come to the 360, if not upon release it will eventually be ported. GTAIV is being released on the 360 and PS3 (although I can only confirm the 360 release)

I can't resist. Gears is the most fun I've had online since Halo2!

And as of today you can download movies/music/tv on Xbox Live

I'm not an xbox fanboy and my other console's have been a PS, PS2 and I have a PSP as well.

But.... I do have a 360, I'm really happy with it and certainly have no urge to go out and get a PS3 (if I could find one).

Games that I find myself puting in again and again:

GoW (if the threads in here didn't already say it, it's a great game).

Tiger Woods 2007 (They've finally got this to be a more next gen golf sim, don't buy '06 even though it's cheap)

Tomb Raider Legend (reminds me of some of the early ones, quite short, but well done)

Lego Star Wars (Not exactly a next gen title, but my wife is completely in love with it and it's a blast co-op).

I did find myself putting Oblivion in the other day again, and ended up playing for several hours. But if you've already got it for something else, probably not really worth the additional expense.

Of course COD3 is now out and I think Anonymo's played it pretty extensively so he can probably pass comment on that. I'm waiting for Brother's in Arms Hell's highway.

Rainbow 6 Vegas is meant to be very good and I've heard some mixed reviews of Just Cause.

On the driving front I have PGR3 and Test Drive Unlimited, I can't say I prefer either but they're both good (not Gran Turismo by any means, but good) and I've not tried either of the NFS releases on the 360 so can't comment on them.

Oh and Mo has a valid point, not only is xbox live very well done, but.... I absolutely love being able to stream music from my PC in the office to the living room through the 360.

Edited by Leveller

I know you think I'm a raving fanboi...but you have to understand that I started out a PS fanboi and used to hate MS. That's all I'll say.

That and MGS will come to the 360, if not upon release it will eventually be ported. GTAIV is being released on the 360 and PS3 (although I can only confirm the 360 release)

I can't resist. Gears is the most fun I've had online since Halo2!

And as of today you can download movies/music/tv on Xbox Live

lol I just wanted to give you a little crap after your venting over the last week, thanks for the honest opinion :D

Now, I haven't played much MGS, and most of you know my feelings on the ps3 already (don't waste your money UNLESS BluRay wins the format wars), so I'll just point out some short-comings and strengths of the 360

First off, Splinter Cell has similar game play to MGS...I know if you're a die-hard MGS fan, that won't matter to you, but Splinter Cell is also a good game and plays VERY smoothly on the 360.

The 360 did have a glitch on some systems with the 1080p update, however, MS has reimbursed the people that were affected, and are fixing the problem.

GoW is one of the best tactical shooters I have every played...period.

The XBOX360, though less expensive than the PS3 is still expensive, and accessories aren't cheap either (though these are a lil' less expensive from what I've read as well)

20 gig HDD is too small for the HD content that is coming out for download on XBOX Live! so you will have to buy the 100 gig one when it comes out if this is an option you want to explore.

Ummm....a small number of systems turn out to be defective (though I haven't really seen this since the launch batch, which is where I got mine from) but MS always honors the warranty and will not charge customers for MS's mistakes...so that's kinda a strength and a weakness I suppose.

Ummm....another thing to keep in mind is that, because of the huge cost of developing next-gen titles, you're going to see less and less exclusivity across the systems. There IS a Final Fantasy on the 360, for example, and square is developing for Nintendo again as well. You're also going to see (as Anonymo pointed out) MGS on the 360 eventually.

The 360 has a more powerful GPU than the ps3 (largely based on memory bandwidth) and is easier to develop for (from what I've read from several sources because of the processor) so if you're going to see exclusive titles, I would speculate that they will appear more on the 360 than anything.

The fans do get loud when I play GoW

The controller charges slowly, but you can get a quick charge kit that comes with backup batteries (Which I haven't bought yet)

The WiFi connection adapter thingie is WAY overpriced...

The thing plays DVD's BEAUTIFULLY, and if you want to go HD DVD, it's only a $200 accessory. Not too shabby at all when you look at the price of HD DVD players ($800 or so last time I checked)

PS3 also has a terrible track record with service, support, and reliability...whereas MS has an excellent record. (which is the biggest knock against Sony I will write in this thing 'cause I'm trying to focus only on the 360)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. You've got racing, fps, and all everything you were looking for on there too. Burnout plays GREAT, and so does Need For Speed (if you can stomach EA).

I hope that helps! Good luck whatever you decide! :D

This is the first wave of MS Video Marketplace...all this content is available today.

* “CSI,� “CSI: Miami,� “CSI: New York,� “NCIS� and “Star Trek� from CBS

* “Chappelle’s Show,� “Drawn Together� and Emmy and Peabody award-winning “South Park� from COMEDY CENTRAL

* “Pimp My Ride� and “Punk’d� from MTV

* “Avatar: The Last Airbender� and “SpongeBob SquarePants� from Nickelodeon

* “Skyland� and “Invader Zim� from Nicktoons Network

* “Chinatown,� “Star Trek VII: Generations,� “Patriot Games,� “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,� “The Sum of All Fears,� “The Untouchables� and “We Were Soldiers� from Paramount Pictures

* “Aqua Teen Hunger Force,� “Frisky Dingo,� “Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law,� “Sealab 2021� and “The Venture Bros.� from Turner Broadcasting

* Some of the most intense fights from Ultimate Fighting Championship

* “Breaking Bonaduce� and “Hogan Knows Best� from VH1

* “Perfect Storm,� “Poseidon,� The Shining,� “Strange Brew,� “Three Kings� and “V for Vendetta,� as well as “The Nine� and “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip� along with the CW show “Veronica Mars� from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

I remember reading that what we've seen with the PS3 hardly scratches the surface of what it's capable of, I'm too lazy to find the source (think it was IGN interview) so take this with a grain of salt if you want.

The PS3 is very quiet, overall a more powerful machine but obviously, much more expensive too. There's a whole article on IGN that compares the three consoles in many different categories, with PS3 on top, then 360, then Wii.

The online potential I BELIEVE will be made into something that at least comapres to XBOX live.

And since MGS 4 is the end of the main series, there's no way in blazes it will go anywhere near the other consoles.

So I think the real question here is: When do I get to play Zone of the Enders 3 on my ps3? We'll never know.

I think the best solution, is wait as long as you possibly can and see how much can play out, without missing out.

Oh, and Gears of War was okay. It's an amazing game, but not TOO radically different from other FPS. The story is rather shallow really, kinda like Killzone.

I'd go for the 360. $600 is alot to spend, but even if you pay $400 for the 360 you'll probly spend an extra couple hundred in games. I can't tell the difference in graphic quality between the 360 and PS3...they look the same to me. 360 supports HD, I'm not sure if the PS3 does or not...I'd choose the Wii or 360.

In response to Saris.

You may see better looking games on the PS3. There are special considerations when you compare the hardware of the PS3 and the 360. The biggest is the memory bandwidth. PS3 has 25gig/s and the 360 has 256gig/s. Thats a huge bottleneck for the PS3 and developers are already complaining about it. Also, to use the cell processor to its full potential developers have to bend over backwards.

Yes the PS3 has more potential, but it is up to the developers as to whether they want to use it. We have already seen how this has affected Ridge Racer 7, where the developers couldn't be bothered to program the game to use all the functionality of the PS3 so it ended up being graphically superior on the Xbox360 (even though it is Ridge Racer 6...it is the identical game).

I want to see the PS3 Sony promised a year ago. I just don't think developers see the worth of all the extra programming. Even if they do, publishers will most likely elevate those games into the $79/game price range that they have been dangling over our heads since E3 this year.

First off, thanks to all of you who posted up in here, great comments and fact-based opinions :D

I picked up the 360 Wednesday with the 20gb hd and wireless controller, "play and charge" cord, along with Gears of War and PGR3.

PGR3 is alright, nothing earth-shaking, but visually beautiful and resonably fun.

GOW..... hol-y crap! unbelievable..... I'm so addicted to this, it should be illegal :D

Hands-down one of the best games I've played in a long time. So far I'm extremely happy with my purchase!

Now, if only I had another $200 to drop on some more games right now.....

First off, thanks to all of you who posted up in here, great comments and fact-based opinions :D

I picked up the 360 Wednesday with the 20gb hd and wireless controller, "play and charge" cord, along with Gears of War and PGR3.

PGR3 is alright, nothing earth-shaking, but visually beautiful and resonably fun.

GOW..... hol-y crap! unbelievable..... I'm so addicted to this, it should be illegal :D

Hands-down one of the best games I've played in a long time. So far I'm extremely happy with my purchase!

Now, if only I had another $200 to drop on some more games right now.....

Got XBL yet? Go throw your Gamertag over here

havent figured out my network connection yet.... xbox is ~50ft and a room away from my router, running a cable would look ridiculous and get destroyed by the cat, and the silly wireless adapter is $100

when I do, I'll hook up my free 48 day trial i got when buying GOW and see how I like it :D

Edited by boilersax