Hi Zerodamage

gOOters

I have a 450PIII and a GFII...

When I play, sometimes I get these reeeeaaal choppy moments where it looks like Im getting about 5 fps. This happens more often when things get heated up in a full server, but it also happens about once a round on an empty server for just a few secs. I suppose this is a function of my computer's crappyness?

I guess the best fix for this would be an ATI 9500 Pro?

Would my old comp even support this vid card or should I just wait till I can pony up for a whole new comp?? Thanks for teh advise. :)

What about the rest of our advice?

The 9500 should work with your puter if you support AGP 4x...I had it in my P3-600. It did make a difference but I was still killed by my processor. With my ATI AIW 128 Pro I'd get max 30 fps & it would drop to 15 at times. The 9500 would peak at 70 but still go down to 15 in heavy fighting. Upgrading my puter put me at a solid 100 even in smoke.

I'd do some checking around to see if you have any background programs running. If your having issues randomly when the action isn't heavy this could be the cause. Also, how much ram do you have?

512 RAM and at the same time I am usually downloading movies from Kazaa and playing them on my winamp...jk no other programs running. I get about 50-60 fps unless i move or action starts then it drops to about 20-30.

yeah g00t with a Geforce2 32mb SDRam video card I got 100fps with 256mb ram and a 1.3ghz processor.

so you're biggest bottleneck is your processor. Spend the money to get a new mobo and processor before a different video card.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

Yeah G00t. get a new cpu and what not. That will fix your cs gaming.

Your video card should be playing cs without a glitch, upgrade your actual system and your problems will be fixed. I am honored that you asked me though. =) You can ask just about everyone here (except that nvidia fanboy Hurricane :P ) and they can also help you.

yeah g00t with a Geforce2 32mb SDRam video card I got 100fps with 256mb ram and a 1.3ghz processor.

so you're biggest bottleneck is your processor.  Spend the money to get a new mobo and processor before a different video card.

Plus for about the same price as a Vid Card, you could get a really good motherboard/chip.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

average price of a vid card? 200 bucks or so for a descent one. You can get a descent system setup for around that. Maybe a little more but better worth the money than a 200 video card that will do NO good on a 450 mhz system that is 4+ years old.

Save your money and lower your resolution, and turn down stuff like AA and AF. Remember that the minimum system requirements for HL are 133mhz. Youve got more than enough. Just make sure youve got all your graphics settings on low, and all applications other than CS closed. You are probably only running 60hz on your monitor in game, so 60 fps looks just like 100. Honestly for me, i have Vsync on and 85fps looks better than 100fps with it off.

Or you could get a new MB/CPU and fix the problem.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

HL and CS engines keep getting updated all the time. Eventually, even on CS, you need to upgrade your system to keep up. That is what you need to do right now. New mobo, cpu, RAM, powersupply, and new case if yours is too small. If you have money to spend (tax money maybe?) and need some ideas, most of us here can get you in the right direction and get you some ideas. Regardless though, I recommend you stay away from GF4 cards right now (that was for you cane, hahahahaa)