What will apple release today?

akaM2

oh MAN M2...that link to the iPhone makes me want one SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO badly...

so when is this thing coming out? cause I'm already a Cingular customer (which means I'll get screwed on price) and I'm in the market for a cell phone with internet access.

like sj said, june of 07

i know if your contract is up with cingular by then you can resign a contract for a better price prolly

im guessing in june they may not even give discounts for contracts, could be next fall until the hype dies down

don't get me wrong... i love apple... and I agree... There r&d is better then redmond when creating a product that is soup to nuts. They can bundle a product and deliver a product, with every aspect included. Microsoft designs more on what others could do to it as well...

it is just different methods of running a business... Apple wont' develop a product unless they can provide a total solution, and not allow for "modding"... they will also only do it when they know they can do it better then anyone else.

Microsoft doesn't even touch that... they couldn't release a total product if Apple gave them the blueprints.

That said, I can easily make my pc run as stable as a mac... 9 times out of 10, a pc crashes because of other software installed on the pc, not because of windows itself.

9 times out of 10, a pc crashes because of other software installed on the pc, not because of windows itself.
or because of to-remain-unnamed firefox extensions. :smiling2:

Cheap shot!

FYI i can't tell you how I know this but apple has been sitting on the iphone for over a year, one can only assume, trying to make it as idiot proof as possible (which is what apple does...they make idiot proof computer solutions)

im hoping now that they officially announced it i can talk about it :bang::bang:

cnbc has a video stream of an interview with steve jobs + the iphone....allegedly discussing the homosexual community. :lol2:

this coming from a guy who spikes his hair. his receding hair. right dunlavy?

FYI i can't tell you how I know this but apple has been sitting on the iphone for over a year, one can only assume, trying to make it as idiot proof as possible (which is what apple does...they make idiot proof computer solutions)
or maybe to see if microsoft incorporated the things they should have incorporated (wifi, internet enabled, apps) into that half baked mp3 device they released.

I am totally on the bus for the iPhone. It's the first iProduct that I'm actually excited for. And I'll even be happy to run OSX10, because I won't have any need at all for power-user features or tweakability. I just need it to call my peeps, listen to me music and watch me some video. 8GB isn't a whole lot, but it's enough to fit five or five or six uncompressed albums on, alongside the Earthworm Jim cartoon series, as well as holding whatever song lyrics or notes I write to myself, pulling an all-nighter in transit.

I've been looking everywhere for a phone to replace my Nokia 6820, for QWERTY creativity purposes, and this looks to be just about 100% of what I was holding out for.

...the biggest problem is that there is no Canadian carrier listed from what I can see. Oh well

here's my beef with the iPhone and iTV....THEY'VE BOTH EXISTED IN OTHER FORMS FOR YEARS.

Ever heard of Slingbox?

or the Treo?

or the Q?

Oh, and I could keep this list going. The Slingbox does everything that iTV will and it's been out for over a year. Treo's and Q's have expandable memory and both play music.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I don't see the innovation. I see a lot of flashy advertising, but no innovation. If they really wanted to impress me, they could have put the iPhone into something that looks like a pen and has on OLED pull out screen that rolls up inside of it. That would have been innovative. Touch screens and smart phone have been around forever, and there were a few things out BEFORE slingbox that did what iTV will do.

Mac is the leader in two things without question, and that is creating an obscene amount of hype and making things look pretty.

Oh, and also, does anyone know if the battery is replacable in this iPhone...that's pretty much essential in a cell phone.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

Maverick...I gotta disagree with you a bit here.

for one thing, the Slingbox and the iTV (apparently now called Apple TV) are 2 very different things. Slingbox allows you to watch your TV from anywhere with an internet connection. iTV allows you to watch video from your computer on your television. The "innovation" of this is that I can sit in my living room, decide I want to watch the 5th episode of season 2 of Lost and with a few clicks of the button I am watching it. That is LITERALLY television (or movies) on demand. Any film or television show on iTunes can be had at the click of a (few) button(s). On top of that, any video you import into iTunes can be watched easily. You can store your ENTIRE dvd collection on your computer at the back of your house and access it on your tv in the front of your house...

now arguably, those of us who know technology and computers could easily build a computer to do this for us already...but this is the first product to put it all in one seamless package that ALSO has instant access to one of the best online libraries of videos that exist today (and are actually priced well).

As for the iPhone (soon to be renamed probably) compared to the Treo...yes, the Treo (and other smartphones) have existed before with similar capabilities...but never in quite such an amazing package. I have a friend who has the Treo 680 (the best one you can get) and it doesn't come close to what Apple says the iPhone will do. Sure he can browse the web and he can listen to music and watch videos but each and every one of those things is done just slightly less well than how the iPhone appears to be able to do it. On top of that, his Treo has 64mb of onboard memory...the iPhone...4GIGS! At that resolution, with 4gigs of memory I could store entire seasons of shows and watch them in widescreen on what will look like a tiny widescreen tv...then I get a phone call on my portable widescreen tv with internet access that allows me to store tons of shows and I have a nice lively conversation before resuming my web browsing/movie watching/podcast listening ways.

I'm not saying that this product is the best thing ever made (for all I know it's gonna be horrible and buggy) but it does what Apple does best...put great technologies together in a seamless package that looks gorgeous.

also, yes touch screens have existed on smart phones for awhile but is there any touch screen out there with multi-touch input that also turns itself off (to conserve battery life and lessen the chance of accidental "clicks") on a phone that does so much in such a clean package?

basically I'm sold on the entire package of this phone. I don't care that the individual ideas aren't innovative...I'm just incredibly impressed with the overall product and how those ideas are put together.

i'm not going to disagree, i'm going to LOL at maverick. i don't carry a spare battery for my blackberry...i hot sync it when i'm at a desktop, otherwise it holds up find....like most cell phones. if you post it now, you might still get something for for your zune on ebay ;)

I will say that the iPhone (seemingly) doesn't have the one thing that would be the biggest selling point for me...access to iTunes store.

If I could be sitting somewhere bored and be able to go into the iTunes music store and purchase and download a movie to watch...I would LOOOOVE that.

I would also love it if I had some podcasts hooked up on there and when they updated it would just automatically download...that's something that iTunes on my pc does already...but it doesn't look like the iTunes on the iPhone has that functionality.

ok, I'll give you just two examples:

1.) The Moto Q with a 4 gig SD card = cheaper than iPhone. Treo 680 is old, the 700 is newer, with the 4 gig SD card, still cheaper and available to more people (not just Cingular)

2.) There have been media bridges for years that link your computer to your TV. Logitech makes one. You hook it to your computer and you can watch stuff on you PC on TV. Existed for years.

Here is what Apple does (and I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing): They take a product that already exists and that they like. They make a few apple-ish tweaks (such as iTunes) and re-market it in a shiny new case with an amazing marketing strategy.

There were mp3 players before iPods too, some of them very good. Apple came along and marketed the product properly though, and as a result, won out. Just think if Creative or Sony would have marketed their mp3 players more heavily--things might be different.

Also, will that nice shiny veneer get scratched as easily as an iPod? The only thing I carry around more than my mp3 player is my phone. I'm VERY careful with my phone, and it still shows wear after just a hair under a year.

I also didn't say hot-swapable batteries. What I meant was this: I worked in a cell phone store, and the most common replacement part is the battery. There are a lot of things that can damage a cellular battery, and since you're stuck in a contract with it for 2 years, you want to be able to replace the battery rather than paying some outlandish price for a full-retail replacement phone. If the price for the iPhone is $499 with contract, that is absolutely dumb, no offense. You can get something similar for half that with contract, and that would put full-retail somewhere around $1,000.

Supposedly Apple trademarked the name over 5 years ago...so Cisco is in trouble now...

And yes Norg...they are coming to Canada on Rogers (as it's the only GSM)...Q4 sounds like a long way away...just buy one from the states when they come out...

And yes Norg...they are coming to Canada on Rogers (as it's the only GSM)...Q4 sounds like a long way away...just buy one from the states when they come out...

Ooooh, Rogers. By the time March rolls around, I'm ready for a renewal on my 3-year cell contract. My phone's getting a little long in the tooth, but I think I can wait until October or November, for one of those puppies on a 3-year discount.

I won't have the funds to ship one out to me, this summer - that's for sure.

The other thing that has me whimpering quietly to myself is the mandatory data plan. Now, I had a 3MB data plan, but I really don't want to go much higher than that, considering the HUGE cost of data plans on Rogers.

Especially considering the fact that I wouldn't be browsing anywhere outside of wifi zones, anyway.