Who is the resident home theater buff

Tyranus

I have not setup a home theatre yet but considered going the projector route.

Pros:

Huge display for relatively cheap money.

Cons:

Lamp life.

Lighting or rather lack therof for optimum viewing pleasure.

I could get around the second one but the first one really ruins the financial advantage of a projector.

Sorry for rambling on a thread. Hope someone can point you in the right direction.

They don't exist for under $1000...

There's the Sony projectors, which are quite new so I couldn't tell you anything about them other than they are one of the only 1080p projectors out there. They are way too expensive at $5000 for their base model.

Now my company uses Epson almost exclusively, but really only for business applications. I have had my hands on their home entertainment line and personally I recommend Epson over any other manufacturer out there. The Powerlite 550 (lower lumen=longer lamp life) and the Powerlite 400 (higher lumen=shorter lamp life) are Epson's base HiDef projectors, both capable of 720p (native res of 1360x768). If you're satisfied with 720p and must have a projector, I would highly recommend either of these two projectors (as for which one of the two, it depends on your room set up). As an added note, CSS looks utterly amazing displayed 100" on the wall.

Epson also has a 1080p projector now (just released in the past couple of weeks), the PowerLite 1080...it's exactly the same price as the Sony so I would have to recommend the Epson over the Sony purely because in my experience Sony's are a little on the cheap side of manufacturing and a little on the expensive side for replacement parts.

Now if you're asking around anywhere else, you'll definitely hear about the Infocus line of projectors. I recommend staying away from Infocus as they are an exceptionally unusual player in the projector market. They make absolutely THE WORST business projectors (they have really small ones, which have functionality...but look like crap...not worth it). Their line of home projectors have unusual resolutions (1024x576!?), they don't hit 1080p (only support it, which is totally misleading) and they're all the same price or more than the Epsons. My only Pros for Infocus is that they have user replaceable lamps (although many users I encounter could never change the lamp on their own) and somehow manage to pump out 3000 hours on them, however I highly doubt that number is legitimate use.

Expect to spend at least $1500 on a brand new HD projector and around $200 - $800 on a screen (I could possibly dig up some special paint I hear is now available...). Lamp life for most projectors falls between 900-1500 hours and more often than not requires a technician to replace the lamp (although it's really easy if you know what your are doing)

They don't exist for under $1000...

There's the Sony projectors, which are quite new so I couldn't tell you anything about them other than they are one of the only 1080p projectors out there. They are way too expensive at $5000 for their base model.

Now my company uses Epson almost exclusively, but really only for business applications. I have had my hands on their home entertainment line and personally I recommend Epson over any other manufacturer out there. The Powerlite 550 (lower lumen=longer lamp life) and the Powerlite 400 (higher lumen=shorter lamp life) are Epson's base HiDef projectors, both capable of 720p (native res of 1360x768). If you're satisfied with 720p and must have a projector, I would highly recommend either of these two projectors (as for which one of the two, it depends on your room set up). As an added note, CSS looks utterly amazing displayed 100" on the wall.

Epson also has a 1080p projector now (just released in the past couple of weeks), the PowerLite 1080...it's exactly the same price as the Sony so I would have to recommend the Epson over the Sony purely because in my experience Sony's are a little on the cheap side of manufacturing and a little on the expensive side for replacement parts.

Now if you're asking around anywhere else, you'll definitely hear about the Infocus line of projectors. I recommend staying away from Infocus as they are an exceptionally unusual player in the projector market. They make absolutely THE WORST business projectors (they have really small ones, which have functionality...but look like crap...not worth it). Their line of home projectors have unusual resolutions (1024x576!?), they don't hit 1080p (only support it, which is totally misleading) and they're all the same price or more than the Epsons. My only Pros for Infocus is that they have user replaceable lamps (although many users I encounter could never change the lamp on their own) and somehow manage to pump out 3000 hours on them, however I highly doubt that number is legitimate use.

Expect to spend at least $1500 on a brand new HD projector and around $200 - $800 on a screen (I could possibly dig up some special paint I hear is now available...). Lamp life for most projectors falls between 900-1500 hours and more often than not requires a technician to replace the lamp (although it's really easy if you know what your are doing)

My buddy got a high def for 600 dollars at best buy it was a big sale.

Yeah, I was about to say

you can get a projector for under a grand...but I wouldn't waste the money. You may even get one that looks "OK," but it's not going to be 1080p or anything...may as well wait until you have the money to spend and buy yourself a real killer one.

That being said, I'm going to check to see if Sharp makes an LCD projector later today...they really have the best LCD TV's, so I imagine their projectors would be very very good. I'll let you know.

I do know that iNfocus makes some decent stuff, though overpriced, and if I remember correctly, I was looking at a Cannon before. Basically any big brand that has a decent track record with LCD technology would be a good way to go.

Don't buy a DLP projector

My buddy got a high def for 600 dollars at best buy it was a big sale.

<shudders>

Don't buy a projector at Best Buy or any major electronics store for that matter.

Home theater projector systems are lots of money. If you are fine with SDTV then you can do it for cheap but HDTV will set you back. Whether it's now or in the long run, it's up to you.

I'll ask my friend what he can recommend in that range. Surely it won't be top-of-the-line, as so subtly hinted here, but from each according to his ability, to each according to his budget.

You will of course be considering proper screen/projection surface and an undoubted myriad of other incidental expenditures as well.

Link

That one is just a hair over a grand, but if you absolutely have to have one now, Mitsubishi is one of the better DLP manufacturers so this isn't a bad choice. DLP projectors don't last a terribly long time though, just keep that in mind.

This goes up to 720p, which is decent, but I'd hold out for a 1080p projector myself. I'd also avoid DLP, but if you want something with a good picture (DLP does put out a good picture) for under or around a grand, DLP is the only way to go.

my two cents...hope it's been a lil' helpful!

Check out this link:

Christie Digital

this company is a local company (to me) that is world renowned with it's projectors. They're a standard for many theatre film projectors but also home.

I have 3 friends working for this company and they're always renting out projectors for the weekend for personal use. The other day we watched a movie in my friends basement on his wall :D and with pretty good resolution too.

I'm not sure what the price range is like but i'm sure i could find out.

Link

That one is just a hair over a grand, but if you absolutely have to have one now, Mitsubishi is one of the better DLP manufacturers so this isn't a bad choice. DLP projectors don't last a terribly long time though, just keep that in mind.

This goes up to 720p, which is decent, but I'd hold out for a 1080p projector myself. I'd also avoid DLP, but if you want something with a good picture (DLP does put out a good picture) for under or around a grand, DLP is the only way to go.

my two cents...hope it's been a lil' helpful!

I checked that out at Newegg, followed the Manufacturer's Page link, and booya!

http://www.mitsubishi-presentations.com/pr...rs/HD1000u.html

Yours now for "employee pricing", $995.

*bows*

I literally stumbled on that.

I asked my friend, he said he'd look but said very similar things -- You want to be in the $1500-$2000 range to get good, reliable hardware, and that's the bottom of that area. He did say there was likely stuff in the $1000 range, but he didn't know of any and you're probably trading things like lamp life, brightness, sharpness/focus (optics can get expensive), accurate projection geometry, noise (they can be loud) and inputs/signal flexibility, but if you have good source components that tie in with your inputs, a real dark room and commensurate expectations you can probably do alright.

Keep in mind, that's what I remember from what he said. I'm going over to give the electrical a test-run on Saturday and do some drywall, I'll let him know of the projector that's the current topic and I'm sure he'd be glad to weigh in on it by then.

Check out this link:

Christie Digital

this company is a local company (to me) that is world renowned with it's projectors. They're a standard for many theatre film projectors but also home.

I have 3 friends working for this company and they're always renting out projectors for the weekend for personal use. The other day we watched a movie in my friends basement on his wall :D and with pretty good resolution too.

I'm not sure what the price range is like but i'm sure i could find out.

Hahahah...Cristie...that's funny...for their standard 12,000 lumen projector you're looking at about $30,000 CAD, my company has about 100 of them ...and it's the one projector I'm not allowed to take home...they look great when you put one on top of the other and line them up...24000 lumens! X ask your friends about Frischkorn...tell them we love kicking their cases :hihi:

That being said JVC makes a 100,000 lumen projector which is really only used for rock concerts...they will run you about $2.8 mil. (don't even ask what the lamp costs)

I am buff, but I don't really have a home theater. May I help you?
i too am buff, but have neither a home nor theater.

would this be useful?

InFocus IN72 Home Entertainment DLP Projector (New)

$599.99

-$200.00 mail in rebate

------------

$399.99 (+$5 shipping)

http://www.woot.com

price is only good today...

[disclaimer: i haven't read any of this thread, minus ty's first post]

I am buff, but I don't really have a home theater. May I help you?
i too am buff, but have neither a home nor theater.

would this be useful?

InFocus IN72 Home Entertainment DLP Projector (New)

$599.99

-$200.00 mail in rebate

------------

$399.99 (+$5 shipping)

http://www.woot.com

price is only good today...

[disclaimer: i haven't read any of this thread, minus ty's first post]

Nope, not high-def. But assuming you actually get the rebate, that appears to be a good price and $5 shipping for something like that is amazing...I'd be afraid it would wind up at my place in pieces.