Yay...iced over, no power, and lotsa midwest fun

Tek-Almighty

So, my power's been off since 2 pm Saturday. The house is 48 degrees...no colder, thankfully...and I finally cleared the 1" ice sheet off of my driveway.

We finally caved and went to my parents' place in the country after spending last night at home...At least at my folks, they have heat and I can reach the forums...I was starting to have withdrawl symptoms.

I am told that perhaps in 3-5 days, my power will be restored...and here's the irony: I live smack in the middle of town. I drive by the downed power line that is keeping me from having electricity...i can see it...right there...there's the problem! The people across the street have power and have had it through this whole storm...funny.

I suppose fate just conspires like that sometimes.

So for now, it will be some Turner Classic Movies with the old folks, dog, and sick wife...

Gotta go home tonight, tho...my fridge is gonna start smelling and I need to keep an eye on the pipes.

Drop in with your last good storm of the winter stories here...if you can make it to the internet that is...

GLHF! stay warm

I just noticed that you live in the Quad Cities, TeK. I go to college at WIU, which isnt too far from there. Luckily our power is working.

I also learned that once you leave the Chicago area, IL is clueless on how to handle snow storms. Over in Macomb, they dont shovel and salt the snow until AFTER it melts. I kid you not, it's sad.

Edited by YoMamma

Update...

Haha...good ole macomb...

My father is from a small town south of there...I am very familiar with WIU. nice...They don't salt and/or clear streets and drives because it is a farming town...they got trucks, dadgummit!

I one-upped ya Ebil...I put zippies of ice in there...it helps...

Of course, now my house is 36 degrees...I don't think my fridge is getting any more stale, but my pipes are whining.

So...going on 3 days and no power yet...gonna crash at my folks, where the rest of my family is staying.

I finally saw the source today...about 4 blocks from me, power pole is snapped in half, laying on neighbors car and yard...power lines askew. I called today to see how progress was coming and the service rep was all like "what!?...really, there are lines down there, laying on someones car!?" golly gee!...well...this isn't a problem that is going to end any time soon...

see you on the servers in a week or so... <_<

My father is from a small town south of there...I am very familiar with WIU. nice...They don't salt and/or clear streets and drives because it is a farmingtown...they got trucks, dadgummit!

lol no kidding. Everyone who lives in this town has a truck but me. I drive a Mitsubishi Eclipse.I miss Chicago, where they over-salt.

Edited by YoMamma

ahhh...sweet technology and civilization....

and on the fifth day, mid american energy said "let there be light!"

and tek saw that it was good.

Seriously...five days. that was fun. makes you appreciate what you have when you don't have it.

Five days! This is why when I am finally done with college, I'm leaving the small towns for good. I miss the city life, where a power outage for even seconds is unexceptable.

pics! Pics of ice coverin stuff are cool.

I'll post one up tomorrow if I can find my camera. Right now we got 10+ inches of snow and we are only half done.

Soooooo jealous!

Not if you got stuck on a 600ft driveway and had to walk 3/4 of the way back... not to mention I got stuck on just about any hill, up and down.