Zombie comments/ideas

[LaW]Maverick

If you have any comments or ideas about the zombie mod, post them here, and I will work on them for next time.

Here's a list of what I think needs changed so far:

-longer rounds

-more ammunition (not unlimited)

-zombies a bit tougher (would like faster regen if possible, not necessarily more health)

-more ZM maps will be loaded

-allow ALL guns (including the para...I'm depressed I couldn't use that)

-seriously considering restricting smoke grenades though...lol those maps are rough on the graphics cards (I was fine, but others were complaining) and smoke makes it worse

-deagle5 was a blast with zombies...

-I've bound the key to run the exec so no more dead rounds

-improve my knowledge of mani-commands (namely round restarts)

-need to be able to move objects easily (someone knows the name of this command/setting, please post it here and let me know)

That's what I've got so far. Add here what you liked and did not like, and we'll make zombies even more fun next time!

Zombies ran until 2AM, and when it was finished there were still 18 people in-server. Thank you everyone who played...and those of you who didn't...I'm coming for your braaaaiiiiinnnnsssss :twitch:

Guest ash
Guest ash
Guest ash
Guests

sv_turbophysics 1 allows you to move objects.

Para's and auto's shouldn't be allowed because everyone would buy them.

The night vision and FOV effects for the zombies need to be removed. I don't know about anyone else but they give me a nasty headache and make me dizzy. I think its more to do with the FOV though which is the same problem that HL2 had when it was released.

In ZombieMod the zombies don't regenerate health, only in ZombieHorde.

phys_pushscale controls how much objects move when you push/shoot/grenade them (1.0 is normal). I believe it is client-replicated, so you can check it from your console in HL2 to see what it's set to.

GC Alumni

Unlimited ammo. Sure, it might seem impossible for zombies to get humans then, but giving unlimited ammo gives humans the oppertunity to build baracades without worrying about an attack, and reloading is a pain in the butt. Zombies just need to be given alot more health (probably the prim zombie like 1000 HP, other zombies like 1000 HP). If zombies work together, they can overcome most baracades and get humans. I've been known in other zombie servers to be the most destructive zombie whenever I turn into one......not to mension I can turn rounds around and whatnot. As a matter of fact, if any zombie can take advantage of any situation given, they can turn the round around and win it for the zombies.

Reloading and limited ammo just gives zombies more of an edge. Even if reloading is more realistic, walking zombies would be even more realistic, not 100 meter dash zombies.

Another thing is longer round times. I was only in there for like 15-30 minutes because... I don't know... just didn't seem quite right. I'm not sure if this was fixed later on but probably like 5-7 minute rounds?

Mav, I would restrict smoke grenades. They're useless in zombies. They don't really provide much cover, just lessen's the human's chances of survival because there will always be a straggler lost in the cloud of smoke... a sitting duck if you will.

Edited by JackieChan

Oh yeah, Mav, try these commands if you haven't already used them:

sv_turbophysics 1 //now you can stand on barrels, tables, and push/pull them by +use

phys_pushscale 3 // changes gravity physics when shooting something as it blows back X times further

and for unlimited ammo, I think you put this in the zombiemod.cfg file

zombie_unlimited_ammo 1

I'm afraid I agree 'bout the ammo...I think people should be given extra (as with the shotgun) if that's possible, but reloads are an important part of being a zombie....

Also...I kinda like the speedy zombies, and SOMETHING on the screen needs to change to let you know you're a zombie...it makes it faster to react (I like the NVG style zombie I guess)

The para is actually hard to use in the old zombie-mod...but in this one where you can actually deal damage to the zombies and not have them regenerate....maybe it'd be easier to use. That being said, people were using auto-shotties, and I was owning them as a zombie.

I definitely want the physics set up that Jackie posted up added to the exec if we could do that Mookie, and what's RR2? That way you can push stuff around rather than shooting it around...thus conserving ammo. That and it's more realistic anyway.

I also think that longer rounds is going to become a general consensus item.

As far as slow zombies are concerned....well, that'd just make it easy. I doubt a slow zombie could touch me on a zm map. Besides, who knows if zombies would be fast or slow...conceivably, it's "realistic" either way lol

If we can't make zombies regenerate in this mod, then we should make them tougher, I agree with that. I'm still not sold on unlimited ammo...

If we can't make zombies regenerate in this mod, then we should make them tougher, I agree with that. I'm still not sold on unlimited ammo...

You haven't tried it yet <_>

alot of people prefer unlimited ammo as do I... reloading times are too slow on weapons. Too much of a pain in the butt trying to fend off 10 zombies at once when you're reloading. Reloading makes it too easy for zombies to kill humans. Thats probably why I prefer unlimited ammo because it gives me more of a challenge when fighting humans. Gotta pull stuff out of doorways and such.

Eh. I just can't play zombies without unlimited ammo anymore... :shrug03:

With the zombies unable to regen, unlimited ammo seems like overkill. Having more ammo, but still needing to reload is a better solution I think. Plus having to conserve ammo makes it a more strategic game. Nothing is scarier than having to run from your cover to grab a gun thats on the ground because you ran outa ammo.

More time per round is a must, as is being able to push and pull things.

Zombies need to be fast, otherwise they would never be able to catch anyone.

I would like to see the para allowed, but not the autosniper rifles. Just my personal preferance.

Zombies having more health is also important. In the first critical moments it seemed to easy for the humans to dispatch the zombie.

Shaftiel

a BIG thing we need to change is zombie spawn time, it can't be right out of spawn, but give it more like 20 seconds for humans to have a little chance.

I disagree, if you give the humans time to disperse and fortify themselves, it would be very difficult for the zombie to convert others. Additionaly, since it is a random person, regardless of how much time you allow before the zombie is spawned, you will always run the risk of having it spawn right next to you or your group. Except you will have no chance at all if you have already fortified yourself in with the zombie heh :).

Shaftiel

a BIG thing we need to change is zombie spawn time, it can't be right out of spawn, but give it more like 20 seconds for humans to have a little chance.

I disagree, if you give the humans time to disperse and fortify themselves, it would be very difficult for the zombie to convert others. Additionaly, since it is a random person, regardless of how much time you allow before the zombie is spawned, you will always run the risk of having it spawn right next to you or your group. Except you will have no chance at all if you have already fortified yourself in with the zombie heh :).

Shaftiel

Okay, but It need to be at least a little longer. On the level City Defence (i think it was) the T's spawned in a room with a slow opening door.... If it you spawned in there then they were all Zomb's no matter what.

Shaftiel

Okay, but It need to be at least a little longer. On the level City Defence (i think it was) the T's spawned in a room with a slow opening door.... If it you spawned in there then they were all Zomb's no matter what.

True, that did blow. But I think thats more a map problem than a mod issue.

Shaftiel

Okay i use to be an admin on a zombie server.

1. make their HP double the amount

2. make it so you can push/PULL (thats important as well) objects easily, it wasnt easy enough

3. get rid of the para, its too cheap.

4. keep the shotty, because you can easily get a guy when he is reloading

5. zombies are flying back too much from being shot... just a little too much

6. get some better maps... those were all basically the reject maps we had on the other server

7. NO UNLIMITED AMMO, worst idea ever. just give them a lot of ammo, that way they have to be smart about it.

8. Dont make the spawn time longer... its suppose to be that way for a reason, that way the zombie can get a few before they disperse so quickly. its those that are lucky/smart and get out of there in time that are gonna live.

9. round time: 5:00

this is how we had it on the server and we had a THRIVING community (obviously nothing compared to the GC) of players that enjoyed it all the time!

the server is still around, if you want, we can go there and check out how they do things, its always full though.

Edited by ShadowDog

Hahaha...well, I think it's safe to say Zombies kicked ***.

Shadow, post up the IP, I'll check it out and see how I like things...it'll be a good influence on our server if they've already got a successful set-up.

Keep the input coming guys! I've got all kinds of ideas now (and I've downloaded 'bout 20 maps today) :peace:

Hahaha...well, I think it's safe to say Zombies kicked ***.

Shadow, post up the IP, I'll check it out and see how I like things...it'll be a good influence on our server if they've already got a successful set-up.

Keep the input coming guys! I've got all kinds of ideas now (and I've downloaded 'bout 20 maps today) :peace:

72.249.9.201:27015

That is the BEST ZM server I have found in a great deal of looking!