Taking Sony "Home"

anonymo

Sony's new Home feature to be released sometime this year (fall supposedly). Looks pretty cool to me but I have serious apprehensions about how well this "free" service will operate on a "free" network. This would allow me to live in a small box somewhere just outside of my parent's house and still be able to have friends over to my 30th floor penthouse with art-deco filled rooms and graffiti lined walls.

I have to admit that Sony has peaked my interest with everything so far coming out of the GDC'07. I will definitely buy one if they can manage to drop the price once they remove the backwards compatibility hardware from the PS2 and (I'm freaking hoping) dump the BR player.

apparently people these days have something against meeting with and talking to real people in PERSON anymore. Why on earth would I want to spend console gaming time wandering around a space talking to other people? Neat concept, but it's sad what it says about society today.

I'm not very good at social stuff in person, but the PC gives me a chance to be out of my shell :P

fair nuf. but you know what they say, practice makes perfect ;)

but PS3 is soooo expensive :(

indEEd! So much so that since I've cast my lot with microsot on the 360, I probably won't ever be buying a ps3. gotta draw the line somewhere, and an upcoming computer parts upgrade takes priority ^_^

• 2 months later...
I don't know why Sony gets trashed for price. The super nintendo was also $700, so was many of the Sega systems.

What? Are you nuts? The SNES debuted at $249 in 1990.

Even adjusting for inflation, they don't compare. I'd seriously like to know what wires got crossed...The NeoGeo was pretty expensive (though not that much), wasn't it?

Sony's getting picked on because it's the most expensive console. Nintendo's getting picked on because it's the lowest-powered console (read, least expensive). Microsoft is getting picked on because it's Microsoft, though rest assured that's only because people are always looking for a reason to complain. If it was most expensive, they'd complain about that, too.

I think the big thing with the PS3 is, if one is going to dish out the extra money over, say, an XBox 360, what are you getting for that cash? Rather, what is the value of the console upgrade? Some people look at it in terms of the cost of the silicon, some look at it in terms of comparative products (This BluRay player costs $1000 and it doesn't play games, PS3 is a steal!) but in the end from the perspective of the individual consumer it all comes down to what it's worth to you.

For example, a console with BluRay, HD-DVD or even DVD (everything has one built in already) for that matter has no value to me. I own a few DVDs and have no intention in the near future to move to high-def plastic discs. To me, that part of the PS3 is worth exactly $0. A friend of mine, however, who happens to be a home theatre person and has not only the inputs but the equipment to take full advantage of such a thing, has told me he sees it as a next-gen DVD player with a cash rebate for early adopters. For him, it was a no-brainer, and he's not even a gamer!

Exclusives are worth something to me, as well. Metal Gear is one of my favorite franchises since the first MG to hit the NES. If Metal Gear: Solid 4 remains exclusive, well, that makes a difference. Can I put a dollar value on that? That'd be tough. Maybe I'd be willing to pay $100 to play it, so that's $30-$40 more than the cost of the game which is in part some of that added value of the console. Also, I can't go out and buy the game on another platform. If I find value in a game console at $400, and I find an added value of $40 in a game, maybe I can justify the total cost if there are other things that I also value enough to justify the price.

If it doesn't remain exclusive, however, and I can pick it up for the 360 for $60, you need to give me something I can't get on the 360 to pull me to the PS3. Maybe I'd pay $5 or $10 more if it looked significantly better, maybe. Also, not only is the value diminished, but there's also the fact that I would have to buy a whole new console at once, and spending $660 (maybe less at that time, say $560) to get better graphics I valued at $5-$10...well, I'd need some more compelling reasons. That's not to say there aren't any, but that's just part of the equation.

And of course, all of that applies to "rational economic men (and women)". Some people will trash Sony on price because they hate Sony for this or that reason. Also, anything I've said has the potential pitfall of being completely wrong. I'm not an economist, just an armchair consumer scientist.

Maybe some of that helped put the price-trashing in perspective. Probably not. :shrug03:

Edited by appalachian_fox

(edited)

FWIW, I bought my sega genesis, sonic 3, and NBA Jam tournament edition (most addicting backetball game I've ever played) for around $200 back in the day(that was a TON of cash for a middle-schooler - I saved for almost a year plus birthday/christmas)

whoever said to you that the SNES was $700 was either intentionally being an idiot, or was totally ignorant and was unintentionally being an idiot.

I for one was planning on buying a PS3 instead of a 360 a year or so ago, but with all the bad press and production shortages and issues the PS3 was facing at launch, not to mention the allure of many xbox exclusives, I decided to go with the 360.

The exclusives thing was a MAJOR factor in my decision. I have better things to spend money on than 2 or 3 consoles, so I was only going to buy one and run with it. When I added up all the exclusives that I loved for the PS2 and what the 360 offered, I realized xbox had more exclusives I would be interested in, even though I would be missing my gran turismo and probably MGS4 (although that may still come to 360).

$600 is a lot of money to be spending on a console, but I would have done it had the pro's of the PS3 outweighed those of the 360.

Now if only GTA4, Halo 3 and Gears of War 2 (please oh please make another soon!) would come out for me to drool some more....

Edited by boilersax

I guess I'm not the normal gamer. I've got all 3 of the "next gen" systems, and I don't play any of them.

Out of curiosity, what 360 games are you guys playing? There havn't been any compelling games on 360, or PS3 far as I've seen so far :(.

I just beat Zelda for *sigh* Wii, it was mildly entertaining. I quit MotorStorm for Ps3 until recently, because there was a massive exploit in it that is now fixed. It's my first racing game online, (it's so hard to win!). Played some Supreme Commander, but that game flopped like I've never seen before for online (20 games currently running at mid-day, two weeks after launch, probably none now). I'd LIKE to play Command and Conquer 3, but EA, being the geniuses they are, can't script a game without it crashing my entire computer at the start of every level.

Team Fortress 2 looks interesting. If Valve ever puts it out, I'll definitely become a member of this community again, rather than just checking the odd forum thread every now and then.