Power Supply Suggestion

boiler

(edited)

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card this coming summer (most likely to an 8800gts, depending on what ATI has to offer), and will need to upgrade my power supply with it. For the power supply, I'm looking to spend around $100 or less.

Here is one that I am looking at right now that looks pretty solid: Antec True Power Trio 550W

Right now the 650W version is on sale for $5 more.... not sure I'm going to need THAT much power though.

I'm looking for any other suggestions that you guys may have. I am not familiar with many other brands of power supplies, so if anyone has a better suggestion in my price range, then let me know :D

I am going to wait on the new video card till the summer, but I can move on the power supply pretty much any time right now.

Here's my current setup:

E6600

Asus P5B

2GB corsair DDR2 667

evga 7800GT CO

WD 200GB SATA2

Lite-on DVDRW

It's running just fine on a cheaper 400W PSU right now. Other than the potential 8800gts, I don't see myself adding much more power-hungry stuff. I might go RAID 0 and get another HD, possibly (but doubtful) another DVD-RW, and faster RAM. I'm not doing SLI (board doesn't support it anyways). I just want a good solid power supply that will have some room to grow and be reliable. Thanks for your suggestions!

Edited by boilersax

(edited)

best one for the money is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817194004

I use this one with zero problems over the last year though and it's quiet: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1079

Plus Ultra has 100% lifetime warranty if you register online and go modular, that wire mess is annoying

Edited by Preacher

CRAP! The deal changed already!! I was ready to order the 650W one, and its back up to $130. :(

Any opinions on this one: Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply

I know it's modular, which I can't say is a necessity, but it's the same price as this True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with the same total power. Only other difference I can tell is the true power trio one has a 120mm intake fan, the neo doesn't.

Is this a case of personal preference, or is one line better than the other? I can't tell from the reviews on the two PSUs :shrug03:

decided to go with the he 550W.

Thanks for the input guys, you rock! :luxhello:

will post my thoughts when it gets here!

That is probably the best PSU for the price right now. Even though it is only 550 Watts, it has a very high efficiency rate; it is well over 85% efficient most of the time. Most lower quality PSU's barely get over 70% which results in a lot of heat, high light bill, stability problems, and less Wattage output than what is advertised. OCZ makes great PSU's too but they are expensive.

Finally got my PSU yesterday (after the idiot UPS guy forgot to give it to me when he dropped off the stupid Bed Bath and Beyond package on Wednesday and had to redeliver my PSU on Thursday :P)

Sharp looking design, and I LOVE the modular cables. When I pulled out my old PSU, I marveled at how many unused wires I had just sitting in the unused 5.25" bays. My case looks so much cleaner now, I even decided to just rerun all of my cables and make it look nice.

Hooked it up, fired up right away. This thing is nearly silent!! (as stated in reviews) I seriously think the loudest part in my comp is my graphics card fan (with CPU cooling fan a close second) Good solid power, and seems to be accurate voltages (according to speedfan, but I'm not sure how good speedfan is for voltages)

Very happy with my purchase thus far. Looking forward to getting a new graphics card now!

I just realized the slope I have just started down...... PSU upgrade leads to new vid card, which will lead to wanting a bigger/better monitor to enjoy all that power, which will lead to me buying Vista eventually so I can have DX10 since my new card will support it..... ugh....... I'm seeing another thousand flying out of my wallet as we speak :(

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card this coming summer (most likely to an 8800gts, depending on what ATI has to offer), and will need to upgrade my power supply with it. For the power supply, I'm looking to spend around $100 or less.

Here is one that I am looking at right now that looks pretty solid: Antec True Power Trio 550W

Right now the 650W version is on sale for $5 more.... not sure I'm going to need THAT much power though.

I'm looking for any other suggestions that you guys may have. I am not familiar with many other brands of power supplies, so if anyone has a better suggestion in my price range, then let me know :D

I am going to wait on the new video card till the summer, but I can move on the power supply pretty much any time right now.

Here's my current setup:

E6600

Asus P5B

2GB corsair DDR2 667

evga 7800GT CO

WD 200GB SATA2

Lite-on DVDRW

It's running just fine on a cheaper 400W PSU right now. Other than the potential 8800gts, I don't see myself adding much more power-hungry stuff. I might go RAID 0 and get another HD, possibly (but doubtful) another DVD-RW, and faster RAM. I'm not doing SLI (board doesn't support it anyways). I just want a good solid power supply that will have some room to grow and be reliable. Thanks for your suggestions!

can i buy your ol graphics card.. ?

alright =) it will take a couple months for me to get a job/ make some sort of savings.. im in no hurry to upgrade im content with 9500pro atm.. i dont play that many games as it is.. Just looking for a deal =P