S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

boiler

I thought this game was vaporware.. I heard about it in 2002, and it looked really cool. After they kept delaying it, I just forgot about it. It looks like it's probably worth a try cause it tries not to be a "normal" fps

Yes...it's about time isn't it?

Supposedly it doesn't actually come out until Friday (weird release date) but I've seen my fair share of forum posts about people playing the game in North America so it is on store shelves somewhere...I'd run out and buy this game if I thought my 9800 would stand a chance (which it probably will, after reading the reviews, but it will look so ugly!)

I've been following this game since it was first announced 5-6 years ago. I really want to get it, but doubt my current hardware will do it justice, it'll have to wait until I've finished my relocation etc.. At which point Crysis will probably be out, so that'll be top of my shopping list.

Supposedly this game runs fine on a 9800 on all low settings...it's when you crank up the settings that it kills even SLI'd 8800's

I could sell ya my 7800gt, mo newwink.gif

Is it AGP?...yeah...I know...I'm waaaaaay overdue!

HI DUKE!

Supposedly this game runs fine on a 9800 on all low settings...it's when you crank up the settings that it kills even SLI'd 8800's

kills SLI'd 8800's? That seems a bit of a stretch, from what I've read the graphics aren't the best ever seen for dx9, although they're still very good. I'd bet my 7800gt would perform admirably at 1280x1024 at least :D

Oh, and if you're still running AGP, I'll chip in $2 for the "buy Mo some new parts" fund!

kills SLI'd 8800's? That seems a bit of a stretch, from what I've read the graphics aren't the best ever seen for dx9, although they're still very good. I'd bet my 7800gt would perform admirably at 1280x1024 at least :D

Oh, and if you're still running AGP, I'll chip in $2 for the "buy Mo some new parts" fund!

I've heard that it isn't that graphically breathtaking, however people are saying that even with 2 8800's in SLI they can't run it completely smooth with everything on high (with the PC to back it up of course)

Now that in no way means it's really GPU or CPU intensive, on the contrary it's probably just poorly coded...<glares at source>

I'll accept any donations but it's really not necessary...every time I start thinking of upgrading the next great thing is released and I lose my nerve...I expect to upgrade this year tho (full on new PC, still need my old one for music...thank god music programs aren't as hardware intensive as games anymore)

Also my 360 still hasn't fully amortized...

Sheesh, if it's simply having an AGP video card that gets you a new parts fund, I'ma gonna apply!

I have the game ;) yarggg :D. Its pretty fun but can get very frustrating because this game is very RANDOM. Every action that you do there is always a negative effect, and from what I've played so far, you can undo them. Take a quest from this faction and next time the opposite faction will shoot you on site! That's very harsh because the main plot sometimes places you in the vicinity of either faction and its annoying trying to dodge bullets while talking to NPCs. Then there are anomolies (radiated areas) THEY ARE EVERYWHERE, sometimes you will get electrocuted by just walking through the wrong part of the zone. Heck when the game loaded me in a new area this mini tornado formed out of nowhere and almost killed me! The only plus side to this game is your counter strike skills do play a good part since most of the enemies take about 2-3 shots to the head to finally let pwn them. This game reminds me of the Fallout games in FPS perspective lol.

When you first start the game is runs horrible, but after a minute or so when the area is actually loaded it starts to run better. My FPS also drops in half every time it is dark and lightning strikes, which is annoying.

I think the graphics aren't too bad, the textures are nice and the shadows/lighting is REALLY nice. My only real graphical beef is with the character models, they look low poly and poorly proportioned (skinny little ankles).

And yes, those anamolies are EVERYWHERE. A few hours into the game you get some nice armor suits that pretty much let you walk right through them without getting injured or receiving some massive radiation effect.

Yeah, Source has some issues for me, always has. After an hour maybe, my frame rate will become erratic and the only way to fix it is to completely reboot the machine. I am not sure if it is the game or if it is my system needing a reinstall of XP. I am waiting on that until I do my upgrade.

I have issues with it too. Aside from occasional mission bugs there's hanging and engine crashes. I reinstalled my ATi drivers to like 6.4 which never hang any other game for me, including GTASA which used to hang after hour of play on newer drivers. So I guess hanging is due to the game itself not being polished. I hope there's a patch coming soon to address some of these issues cause it's a sweet game.

I have issues with it too. Aside from occasional mission bugs there's hanging and engine crashes. I reinstalled my ATi drivers to like 6.4 which never hang any other game for me, including GTASA which used to hang after hour of play on newer drivers. So I guess hanging is due to the game itself not being polished. I hope there's a patch coming soon to address some of these issues cause it's a sweet game.

I had pretty much the same problem. I have a x1900xt and was using the 7.2 drivers and had constant crashes and freezes. I couldn't even get the game to run more than 10 seconds with 7.1. So now I am using 6.12 and they seem to be ok. I don't think STALKER likes ATI.

I had pretty much the same problem. I have a x1900xt and was using the 7.2 drivers and had constant crashes and freezes. I couldn't even get the game to run more than 10 seconds with 7.1. So now I am using 6.12 and they seem to be ok. I don't think STALKER likes ATI.

I think since AMD bought ATi total idiots are in charge of making drivers for vid. cards

My game runs alot faster with 6.12 too. I used to have to run the game on medium to get reasonable FPS, now I am running it on max with no problems.

I think AMD did something to ATIs drivers too, with 7.2, even without STALKER, the CCC was constantly crashing and performing illegal operations when I started games.