S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

boiler

I just picked this up yesterday, but haven't had a chance to even install it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to crack into it today after work. I'll post back with my thoughts and also how my 7800gt handles it :D

I've had the game for about a week and a half now and I really like it.

DOWNLOAD THE PATCH BEFORE YOU START!!!

Any saved games before the patch are incompatible with the patched version. :bang:

I had to start the game over from the begining which wasn't to bad since I made a few mistakes. :stretch:

FYI this game is hard on the graphics, I have 8000GTx SLI'd running it at 1650x1050 every thing cranked and yes it does have issues from time to time. For the most part though, it runs flawlessly.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughterâ„¢-TopBrass

Ok, here's my official STALKER update:

I installed it this past wednesday, ran the patch, and fired it up. I tuned the graphics settings to a good solid "medium-high" at 1280x1024 (around what I ran FEAR with), then started a fresh game. My first combat experience (with the pathetic pistol), my card crapped itself and started stuttering all over the place (playable-ish, but highly annoying). Disappointed and confused at the item-usage interface (don't think I've ever played an RPG), I turned off the game and haven't started it again thus far. Open areas weren't too bad, but I really wanted to see the dynamic lightening, etc. I'm a sucker for cool realtime effects.

I sold my 7800gt this weekend (I had been planning on doing this for a month or so now), and have a new evga 8800gts 640mb superclocked coming in this week. Will report back with an update on performance.

For those with similar graphics to the 7800 (or less) it is still very playable at that resolution and lower quality settings and not as much eye-candy. Two 7800's might do pretty well though. I get the feeling this game is VERY reliant on graphics card performance (unlike HL2), since it ran slower than I expected with my E6600.

I haven't written this game off yet, I'm hoping I really start to get into it after I figure out the whole items thing.

I've had the game for about a week and a half now and I really like it.

DOWNLOAD THE PATCH BEFORE YOU START!!!

Any saved games before the patch are incompatible with the patched version. :bang:

I had to start the game over from the begining which wasn't to bad since I made a few mistakes. :stretch:

FYI this game is hard on the graphics, I have 8000GTx SLI'd running it at 1650x1050 every thing cranked and yes it does have issues from time to time. For the most part though, it runs flawlessly.

Oh, and his or the OC'd BFG cards...it only seems to run choppy in town, and even then, it's definitely playable (the game DOES look good, just not breathtaking)

What kills the graphics cards is the sheer amount of rendering that needs to be done. The draw distances are fairly impressive, but each clump of grass is rendered individually, can really crank down on your cards

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when Flight Simulator X came out and people complained about it running slow on any computer, people on their forums would say things like, "It's impossible to run on max settings because a computer doesn't exist yet that can do it." If they know it's impossible why am I paying 50 dollars for the game when I can buy it in 5 years for 10 dollars in a bargain bin when a computer CAN run it?