athlon 64 x2

(edited)

never hurts to have a better power supply than you need

I run a 4400x2 and a 550 watt Ultra X2 Connect modular PS. I also run x1900xtx video card and my voltages stay very constant.

For my money I say stick with Utra, they have very stable set-ups and are on the lower end of the price structure (tigerdirect usually has MIR) on top of that it's got a lifetime guarantee if you register online.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7&CatId=106

That's my PS with a free case for $100

Edited by Preacher

a gigabyte mb GA-M61P-S3, i want the firewire full atx for the ram slots.

my only prob at this point is does it support xp 64?

thats what I'll be using...

actually it'll be a dual os xp 32 and xp 64

I use cubase for audio editing and gigastudio/atmosphere/stylus for music composition.

so I need xp 32 for that.

Aug

a gigabyte mb GA-M61P-S3, i want the firewire full atx for the ram slots.

my only prob at this point is does it support xp 64?

thats what I'll be using...

actually it'll be a dual os xp 32 and xp 64

I use cubase for audio editing and gigastudio/atmosphere/stylus for music composition.

so I need xp 32 for that.

Aug

I use audition, cubase makes my head hurt :)

First program I ever used was Pro Tools at a studio... I got spoiled and lazy!

dark, whether its theology or DAW's you gotta always spoil my parade man!!! LOL!

yea pro tools is HUGE! intimidating.

Cube is all I need, it's easy and I don't care to cross platform. However if I buy the new

version I'm up to re-learning at that point. I just lack the funds to up or cross grade.

As for the more expensive chip preach endorsed...is it really worth the 80 bucks for the 2x1 l2 cache

I think the chip I have selected is 2x512 l2 cache?

is this truly worth it???

80 bucks is alot at my wage per hr : )

Aug

Ha ha, spoil your parade!? I thought cubase was better than audition... Just a heck of a lot less user friendly. I'm not prostar like you with the gizmos and gadgets for recording :)

I'd really like to hear some of your stuff sometime if you wouldnt mind. I'm finishing up a song of my own too that I could send you and you could give me some pointers. You know how it gets, where you listen to the tracks SO many times that you cant hear what it is in REALITY and only what you want it to be.

dark,

I'll have to dig up the cd's. I lost my only like 3 songs (orchestrations) and I WAS TICKED OFF!!!

I'll see if I can put something together though. I'm really tied up as I'm readying up to launch my

wed video co. it's a converted LLC and my time is CONSUMED but when I get a chance I'll go through my

stash for the mp3's.

I've got a few recordings right now on my hd of a singer/songwriter girl from victorville california and man

does she sing horrible! her song is alright but bad vocals.

I'll email you the link and ftp it up.

So what about the 2x1mb l2 cache vs the 2x 512mb l2 cache?

is it worth 80 bucks?

Aug

preach or cooj,

is the 2x1mb l2 cache that much better than the 2x512 l2 cache?

I'm real tight with money until my business is back up. If the diff is only noticable to the electron microscope then I don't care but if you tell me its a HUGE difference like a 20-30% increase then I'll do it.

If its only like a 5% then I'll get the cheaper one :)

Aug

preach or cooj,

is the 2x1mb l2 cache that much better than the 2x512 l2 cache?

I'm real tight with money until my business is back up. If the diff is only noticable to the electron microscope then I don't care but if you tell me its a HUGE difference like a 20-30% increase then I'll do it.

If its only like a 5% then I'll get the cheaper one :)

Aug

It mostly just depends on the application. Some games and programs like video or photo programs love the extra cache. Others do nothing or only see a 1~% difference. Due to CSS being so CPU intensive because of the physics, I recommend you grab the 2x1MB Cache chip.

********* If you really do want to go the 1mb cache route per core, then look at the Opteron 165 chip. It is socket 939 if you are going that route and even though it is only 1.8 Ghz, it comes with the premium heatpipe heatsink and it over clocks to 2.2-2.6 with ease. Mine is at 2.4 with all of my settings at stock.

I take back what I said. Just go with the best processor you can afford that is dual core. It looks like most every cpu on the AM2 list of cpu's is only 2x512 unless they are 3 times as expensive with the 2x1MB cache chips.

There is a few companies that have produced some single chanel only RAM like Pqi and A-data but it's harder to find than the duel. Most sticks of ram (if same make and model) will run fine in duel mode. Like I answered in your other post if Newegg sells them as a set (2x1gb or 2x512mb) they are duel chanel ready.

for video editing the extra cache is worthless but for games it's about 10% performance advantage depending on the game. for 80 bucks it's a tough call but either way you'll be happy.

aug, i just realized you're getting a am2 motherboard. why are you not getting a core 2 duo processor if you're buying a new mobo, cpu AND ram???

this whole time i thought you were keeping your ram from your p4 and just upgrading mobo and cpu to s939 amd. if you're doing an overhaul do it right and go core 2 now. you won't regret it.

aug, i just realized you're getting a am2 motherboard. why are you not getting a core 2 duo processor if you're buying a new mobo, cpu AND ram???

this whole time i thought you were keeping your ram from your p4 and just upgrading mobo and cpu to s939 amd. if you're doing an overhaul do it right and go core 2 now. you won't regret it.

I just realized this myself, I didn't pay enough attention to the motherboard he posted.

I agree, you really ought to consider a core 2 setup. Even the lower-end core 2's are great processors and have more bang for the buck.