vid card RAM

boiler

(edited)

I'm thinking of selling my old vid card and buying an 8800gts. The only thing is I can't make up my mind as to whether I should go for the 320MB or 640MB version. It will be paired with a core 2 E6600, so I shouldn't be CPU limited (at least for a while). I am planning on getting a 20" widescreen monitor in the next few months (1680x1050 res). I know if I were going to go 24" or higher (1920x1200) then I would definitely want the extra RAM from my vid card. I just don't know if at the 1680x1050 resolution that the extra RAM will make a big difference.

I want this video card upgrade to be solid for the next three years or so. The price difference between the two versions isn't a deal breaker, but if 640MB will be overkill for what I want it to do, I don't want to waste $100. I cannot/will not go for the GTX. Too expensive! Basically I just want someone to tell me whether or not I would be an idiot for buying the 640MB version when the 320 would be all I need. Thanks for the input guys!

*edit - after reading a little bit more and thinking about it, I think I'll just go with the 640MB. When crysis and stuff come out, I'd like to be able to run max (or near max) settings. Surely the extra RAM would be beneficial down the road.

Edited by boilersax

Thats a pretty good price for that one, Preach.

Ok, I hate when I try to pick parts like this, I think too much about it, change my mind 5 different times, then usually go with my first instinct anyway.

I think what I'll do is go with the evga 8800GTS 320MB OC version version for now. I know it'll have way more juice than I need right now. I'm picking evga for their lifetime warranty and for the step-up program. That way if the prices drop across the board after ATI's stuff has been out for a while, I could step up to the 640MB or 8800GTX versions for only a little bit more. The 90 day limit for the step up program should give me enough time to figure out what the market does after ATI's stuff comes out and if I really do need the extra memory or not. After all that I'm gonna stick with which ever one I end up with for a few years.

If I'm being an idiot by doing this, someone feel free to tell me so.

The 640MB card would be the better deal. It will last you longer for the newer games coming out in the coming months. The lower memory card would be limited before you know it and you will be kicking yourself for it.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2926&p=3

that about says it all. to me it'd be worth the extra 100 bucks.

though i'd probably go gtx so i'm probably not the right person to ask. i hate the idea of cut down shaders and stuff.

(edited)

/agrees with Cujo here

If you're busting out your bank anyway you might as well kick in for the best card on the market so you can go strong for a year longer without an upgrade later -save now or save later

Also like ZD said if they release some awesome new game that you shell out $50 for and then get home and watch it lag it'll tinkle you off way more than $100 worth of annoyance lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814186015

Edited by Preacher

(edited)

Thanks guys! After reading ZD and Cujo's replies, I spent the night trying to convince myself to splurge on the GTX. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that with the setup I have, I should really invest in a first-rate card right now then sit on it for the next few years. I feel like I should be taking full advantage of my Core 2 while it is still king of the hill. Even though the GTX is way beyond what I was intending on spending, I think it may be possible for me to swing it then I won't put any more money into this system for at least another 3 years. This would make my soon-to-be-wife happy. Might as well spend the money now while it's still mine! :biglaugha:

The price is just a little harder to swallow since I just got a new Antec NeoHE 550W PSU, and an Antec P180 case (arriving today). Funny, I set out just wanted to make my comp quieter and ready for a video card upgrade, and now look where it's gotten me, lol.

I'll crunch some numbers and let you guys what I go with.

Oh, btw, if my first potential buyer falls through, I'm officially posting my 7800GT up for sale. Keep it in mind ;)

*edit - I'm a little concerned about my PSU being able to handle a GTX. It easily exceeds the minimum requirements per evga's website, so if I order the card I think I may be alright. None of my other components should be very power hungry. If this would be a problem, let me know.

Edited by boilersax

(edited)

Update:

I'm an idiot and need professional help. This is driving me crazy.

I'm ordering the GTX. I'll probably be in debt unless I can find a way to convince this lady she needs to spend another few hundred on the website I'm building for her.

I need a beer now.

Edited by boilersax

Update:

I'm an idiot and need professional help. This is driving me crazy.

I'm ordering the GTX. I'll probably be in debt unless I can find a way to convince this lady she needs to spend another few hundred on the website I'm building for her.

I need a beer now.

Dude!!!! I guess either way it was your destiny to feel like an idiot. :) :) :) jk

I'm waiting for ATI to release their card. Then I'll get an 8800gtx.

Edited by DarkArchon

what is the main game you play right now?

if i were you, based on all the factors you listed, i would wait to upgrade until you need to upgrade to play a game at a comfortable frame rate and IQ setting. i mainly play css. right now my system is pulling 100fps pretty well all the time at the max res of my monitor with max detail settings. i only have an x1950xtx. yes, i want to upgrade to a 8800gtx but i don't need to for what i do.

basically, don't get caught up in all the numbers and future possibilities. not spending money for 3 years on your computer will not happen especially if you're used to playing games at max res and IQ as you would when you first get a 8800gtx. 3 years ago from today nvidia was preparing to launch the 6800ultra. how many of todays games play nicely on a 6800ultra???

sadly, computer gaming is VERY expensive and you must spend about $1000 per year to stay current with each new game that comes out. the difference is whether you play a new version of ut every 3 years or play many different new games all the time. if all you do is play each new ut or doom then ya upgrading every 3 years or so makes sense cause then you can upgrade based on the newest version specs.

I am perfectly ok with going 3 years between upgrades. I know I won't be able to run the latest and greatest at highest resolutions in a couple years, but thats fine. I just wanted a little headroom for the future so I can at least RUN some of those down the road with decent visuals. I think I'll be alright in that department.

(edited)

this has become a learning experience. Any time I think I have a good amount of money to spend on something fun for me, some crap comes up that ruins everything.

I was just informed that the flights for my honeymoon need to be changed due to their too-close timing for my trip departure. This is going to cost me another $300 in cancellation fees and higher fares. I want to kill someone/thing. :bang:

Needless to say, I had to cancel my order. I'm going to look at this as a higher power trying to tell me to hold off on upgrading until later in the year, like my inner Cujo or something.

Time to start saving again so I can get an 8900GTX or something later in the year. Unless it won't fit in my Antec P180 case, I'm not replacing that :P

Crysis will probably be the next milestone that will get me to upgrade.

Edited by boilersax

First thing is first, this card performs really well in comparison to the other GTS cards. You can also see the different between 320 and 640 memory in these graphs at Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2926&p=3

This is a 640MB card which is a GTS model with fewer shaders. The price is pretty good at under 400 bucks. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...MP=OTC-d3alt1me

I honestly believe a 640MB GTS card is an excellent alternative for someone buying NOW and they can not wait a little while. The price is not over bearing like the GTX and you will only lose some performance on current games. The extra shaders may be helpful with the DX10 games but I do not think it will hurt too overly much.

The 320MB card is a great card for the cost for those who will be playing only CSS. It will also run some of the newer games but will be limited when you turn on AA and AF eye candy features since that can typically double the amount of video card memory used.

This graph, if the image works here comes from Anandtech. You can see what the different in shaders can make but it may not be enough for some who only play css. WILL come in handy with UT2007 and other newer games.

Notice the top two cards. One has 96 shaders, the other has 128.

14030.png

Edited by ZeroDamage

lol, thats what I was telling myself when I spent 2x what I was intending to on the honeymoon. Should be good times after I kill the agent lady that helped me book the now-cancelled flights :D