Digital camera..

discom

I've never bought a digital camera before, but after a few hours of research, I think I'm going to go with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16830120083

The most I'm willing to pay is $300. I thought I'd post before I ordered to see if anyone has any better suggestions. I know there are few other camera threads from months ago, but I don't have $500-$800 for a camera :P

Well I'll tell you like it is. First off anything bigger than 5 megapixils is silliness unless you are printing posters. Second those Canon's are nice but an HP or Kodak will take the same quality of picture for a ton less. Here would be the one I would get: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2452

And then buy this for mothers day with the money you save: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16882604003

I compwetwy disagwee wit Pweacher

Get the Canon. I would never buy anything but a Canon in the small digital camera category. The extra money goes a long way. Full replacement warranty, extended battery life, ease of use, great features and a free 1gig SD card? Steal...

That being said it's always a good idea to get hands on with a camera before you buy it.

And ok I will agree with preach to an extent...you probably don't need 7.1 mp...I have the SD600 which is just a step below the SD800 (the SD700 just has a big screen which wastes batteries imo) at 6mp and it's great. I wouldn't trade it for any other camera in its class.

And ok I will agree with preach to an extent...you probably don't need 7.1 mp...I have the SD600 which is just a step below the SD800 (the SD700 just has a big screen which wastes batteries imo) at 6mp and it's great. I wouldn't trade it for any other camera in its class.

I can't tell on the 700, but the one preacher linked looks like it doesn't, but I'd get one with an optical viewfinder. 1) it saves the battery, every second that huge LCD is on its eating your battery life and 2) in sunny situations, its really hard to see that LCD on the back to make sure you're getting the picture you want.

I recently bought my wife one of the little casio's and it has performed great. Its in the Exilim Z series but I can't remember exactly which model it is. Its got all of the advanced functions you can find with an SLR (ISO, WB, Shutter speed, etc) just not the interchangeable lenses. They are getting great reviews, the one I got my wife has a steel body (unlike some of the other brands that use plastic), and they are priced decent. If you're worried about zoom, make sure you're looking at the optical zoom and imo don't pay much attention to the digital zoom or the video capture specs, they are useless.

The HP does have an optical viewfinder. I own the 5mp model and it takes very clear pictures and is rechargible instead of using batteries (lasts twice as long as my old samsung using 2 AAs)

Instead of a better warranty buy 2 HPs and still save enough to go out for some Burger King lol

The Keyhole/Google Earth guy is here at the ASPRS conference, and rumor is he has a homemade 4 gigapixel camera. I'll have to see if I can corner him at the reception tonight. Maybe I can get him and the Virtual Earth guy to square off...

4 Gp? Jeez. I heard of a 144MP a while back and that took several minutes to take a picture.