GamersCoalition to Support RFKC 2007 at Golf Outing - JULY 7

Fatty

Here we go again! I'm back to seek the support of my online family for something I feel is worth each and every penny we can scrape up. For the past two years, you have given from your hearts for the kids and raised $1,000 each time. Last year I set out to raise $400, and the message I received was that I drastically underestimated the community. So, I won't insult us again....let's raise another $1,000. Actually, last year we raised $1,200!!

For those of you that are new, I'll do a recap. I work as part of the administration team for a camp called Royal Family Kids' Camp as the Dean of Men. Simply put, I am in a support role for the male counselors of the camp. This will be my 7th year with the camp. For my first 3 years I was a counselor through another church, until we started our own camp at Northampton United Methodist.

Simply put, RFKC is a camp for abused and neglected children, ages 7 to 11. The types of abuse range from physical to emotional to sexual. While I'm probably repeating myself (I'll link past topics below), here are a couple things to consider when even attempting to imagine what life was like for these kids. I say "was" because most of the kids in our camp are not in the abusive situations anymore, as they are referred to us through Children's Services or Child Guidance.

Imagine that you sleep under your bed because you're hoping that when your father comes home drunk again he won't find you.

Imagine coming to camp and stuffing your pockets with mashed potatoes because you're never sure when your next meal is going to be.

Along the same lines, imagine having a hard time falling asleep when the rest of the campers do because you're used to waiting up until everyone else is asleep so you can sneak down to the kitchen in your home to find something to eat.

You've seen the disgusting news stories in the paper or on TV. In a community this size, there's no doubt that there are people around here that experienced abuse themselves or witnessed it first hand as a child. What does RFKC do? We spend a week with the kids, treating them like royalty, showing them that there is hope.

The cost of our camp is roughly $50,000 each year. Money is raised in a variety of ways, including an annual auction, straight donations, and the event which GC has been playing a part: The RFKC Golf Outing.

Ok, here's the plan. We need $1,000.

Myself, Clue, and 2 other golfers will put $75 each to cover what it would normally cost a team to play (corporate sponsors get a free foursome).

So, we're already down to $700 to raise.

That's 10 people tossing in $70 each and we're done. However, I'm going to suggest that we do it with even more involvement. Let's go for 35 people at $20 each. That would be a lot of people involved for a small amount. So....eat a salad instead of a big steak and when your stomach growls, smile about it, knowing that a little hunger went a long way.

Is $10 too little to send? Not at all, because I'm going to guess that for anyone who can afford to send $10, there's going to be someone who will send $30. Do what you can, follow your heart.

So, let's get it on. You can paypal your donation to rfkc@gamerscoalition.com. My last question besides what you're waiting for, is who is going to step up and answer the call? I'll keep a running tally.....and you can let me know in the memo of the paypal if you would prefer to keep your donation anonymous.

Links:

My post with pictures from last year

Last year's topic

RFKC National Site

This year's event brochure

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GC Founder

Ok....um....

without disclosing amounts....

JackieChan, Bewildered, and Shaftiel all sent donations. Thank you so much!

So, $700 - $343.72 = $356.28 to go. Yes, you heard that right. There was a Biblical message in here. One person gave what they could, another gave what was left in their paypal, and another, who was able, tossed in a very, very large amount.

I am left speechless. Should we be double corporate sponsoers or something?

SHOOT's in da house with the RFKC Fatty! I would like to give this bit for my mom that just had a surgery and is in ICU. I was blessed with loving parents and never had to go through what these kids went through. I thank them and the man upstairs for everything. Keep up the good work. God bless! :luxhello:

About my kids, though... I don't think I can do half of what my parent's did for me. Feel a bit guilty... NOT! :biglaugha:

GC Founder

Shoot and Lev have weighed in.

We're up to $593.72.

I've been here before....astounded by your generosities. Perhaps we'll set a record this year! No reason to stop!

You guys are awesome! I can't wait to see who is next!!

GC Founder

I was just thinking.....we should create two golf teams for the event....that would be grand! 8 of us wearing FF shirts out there!

Last year with the extra $200 we did a hole sponsorship.....I'd rather put $300 toward an additional team...having all those shirts out there would be better than a hole sponsorship anyways......

If we had enough guys, we could just do a bunch of teams! I just remember last year struggling to find golfers.

ATM I have 5 golfers including me.

GC Founder

Duke is tentative for golf.

Little blurb from the brochure:

GOLF OUTING DETAILS

The outing will be a shotgun start at 1:30 pm on Saturday, July 7, 2007. Registration will begin at 12:00pm, with awards, drawings and a grill dinner after golf. The golf outing will be held at Goodpark Golf Course in Akron, Ohio.

Well i gave what i had. I've got four of my own so I'm always pretty dry anyhow their it is.

BTW the 4 kids I have often think they are abused. so maybe I'll continue to reinforce this fear of theirs and make them cough up some allowance and give it to the ones who really are :luxhello:

GC Founder

duke is back out for golf.....so we need 3 more to play with lev!

Current total after pledges and contributions from dingy, farmer, scuba, and dirty joe: $853.72. Big ole hearts in all you guys!!!

KEEP IT GOING!!!!

Quit makin the contributions so dang big! I said I wanted lots of little contributions!!!! You guys are amazing.

(ps. don't take the first demand seriously.....big ones are great!!!!!!)

Sure is a great group we have here..no doubt about it.

By the way, is Duke just trying to buy his way out of being embarrased on the course? :P

Thanks to all..especially Fatty..you really pour your heart into this thing, and thats cool...those kids are lucky to have you as a role model.

Not against your extreme excavating skilz.

Initially I couldn't make FragFest because it conflicted with Danielle's offtreatment vacation. Due to scheduling conflicts, FragFest was moved to the current date, July 13-15, which happens to be the weekend of my anniversary. I'm not sure how but I unknowingly sold my soul and was given permission to go FragFest. My lovely wife moved our anniversary celebration back to July 6-8. As fate would have it, the golf outing happens to fall on that weekend.

Now I'm not the brightest star in the sky, but I know trouble when it's subtly gnawing my leg off.

Who's up next ya'll? Or are we done?

Hopefully you won't have to turn KWILL loose. I'm sure he could shake some change loose out of pockets :)

C'mon folks - this IS a great thing to doante to! Remember, it isn't for any of us - it is for the kids!

GC Founder

How about $1,500? Can we make it? I don't have the numbers here, but I believe we need a little less than $300 to get to $1,500....that's adding one more pledge and the $300 from the team.....

We've already met the original goal....and I'm MORE than impressed once again. We had some heavy hitters this year who really made sizeable donations. However, the $10 donations will go a long way if combined with others. Every cent counts! Each year I'm amazed by you guys.

I'll pledge $30 more if you don't reach the goal. I'll wait till the deadline and wait for people to get involved. I think it has more to do with awareness and involvement than how much a single individual gives.

So, if you don't reach the goal by the day you're closing the fund raiser, let me know and my money will be on it's way to you Fatty.

Let's make this happen! These kids can be a role model/inspiration for kids like them in the future.