Anti-virus?

Magruter

Will need a ride. I do not think anyone is traveling north through my area or within a couple of hours of my area or I would be there. Not seeing that happen. Dweezil is tied up with RL stuff and Tyranus is out of the area all together.

The disks is what we are trying to avoid by asking people to run their av before they break down. We used AVG last year, had 5 to 10 disks even I think. The problem is when you have 80-90 gamers setting up computers at the same time, trying to pass disks around and get things installed on their comp and checked all at the same time, its a real pain. Half of the people get done and never pass the disk, even forget that its in their machine. Then someone needs one but who's got one, blah blah blah blah blah. I'm sure we can all agree it would be much easier to just do a scan before you break your comp down. The only way around that to my knowledge is to give everyone a disk when they sign up. That means we have to prepare 100+ disks ahead of time and to me and I'm sure the rest of the staff who are extremely busy getting things ready its a pain.

I guess I'm sounding defiant and I apologize because I know you guys are offering to help and just trying to make things easier. I totally appreciate that. No doubt there WILL be people there who don't run AV (I didn't until a few weeks ago when I got taken down and had to reformat.) or people who haven't updated and scanned. This year we will have disks, ZD that would be a great help if you could prepare that iso for us, one less thing we'd have to do. However, I'm giving forewarning, its very likely that we will have staff dedicated to scanning comps with no proof of scan and will be charging to do this in the future.

why not run a server everyone has to connect to and force them to PXE boot to a bartpe install? We've done that before at work too

That was something I was thinking would be the best overall but with the little time left to set such a thing up, I say it would be best to look at something like that next year possibly. Not only that but not all computers support the network PXE boot option.

I'd perfer not to be forced to DL anything, if i've taken all my precautions. And if someone comes without having their computer scanned then they deserve to wait for the disc to be passed around.

I'd perfer not to be forced to DL anything, if i've taken all my precautions. And if someone comes without having their computer scanned then they deserve to wait for the disc to be passed around.

pxe booting doesn't really download anything afaik, its like booting from disc, just over a lan instead

give me a second to figure out what I need to do to fix it..... patience. I will repost the link.

Ok, I fixed it. Here is my post from above again:

I have the ISO made and uploaded for those of you in charge to try out. I will update it next week with the latest Adaware and Mcafee definitions if there are new ones by that time. I compressed the ISO with the 7-zip format. It is a free and open source program similar to winrar but better (it's free!). The compression ratio seems to be a lot better too. I made this ISO about 40% size. Anyway, get the program from here: http://www.7-zip.org

The ISO is here:

http://www.thecomputerninja.info/ffohio/pebuilder2.7z

And let me also add that I use a freeware burner program called "Deep Burner" to burn simple stuff like this. It says it is add supported but the advertisement is a tiny little box at the top asking you to buy the program for more features (which 99.9% of us will never use). It is a nice little program and there is also a portable version.

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download