Anti-virus?

Magruter

Run your own personal firewall on your machine. EVERYONE should do this to protect yourself from internal threats. Windows Firewall should be on at the bare minimum. If you want something more, try out Comodo firewall. It is free and pretty good. http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

There is also Tiny Personal Firewall version 2.1.5 which I think is the best version. It is the most simple and no frills firewall and it is of course free. I have a download link HERE

For free antivirus, Give CLAMWIN a go which is free and open source. You can get that here: http://www.clamwin.com/

Unless Mom or Model Cit made a change, we should be running AVG.

I'm almost positive he didn't connect to the network. Model Citizen made it a personal quest to isolate him and take care of it.

Last year we had to connect to the network to update AVG. We had a hell of time getting the definitions to run a disc... I remember burning 8 or so discs and running around installing avg then connecting to the network to get the most up to date definitions.

We didn't scan at the door. It was suppose to be you don't connect to the network before you get checked off.

Besides having to setup someones computer in a different location, knock it down, and set it back up. Is there anything out where we can install the most up-to-date definitions and run a scan without having to connect to the internet? I would like to have 10 or so discs.

I remember last time I went dweezil running around scanning everyones machine with some cd before they could get on the network...is that no longer the way we do it?

apart from the rental pc I'm getting, I'm also bringing my Macbook so I'm guessing I don't need to worry about virus scanning? Last time I checked there weren't many (if any) viruses that his OSX and Windows.

The easiest/fastest way for you to get going or hooked to the network would be to update your virus defs and scan right before you break down. Then you can boot up and show your clean logs and we'll let you connect. If you don't run av and/or cannot prove that your system is clean you will be siginificantly delayed in hooking into the network. It is a mess trying to get disks around to everyone and making sure they are clean. Do it yourself and save everyone and yourself the headache of having to do it at the LAN.

A side note. We tossed around charging you money if we had to install and run AV on your computer. It didn't happen this year because we felt like we couldn't get the word out in adequate time for everyone to catch it and be done. We plan to have a station just like ZD suggests in the future and you will be charged to set up there and have someone scan your computer....fair warning for future events.

I would say the day before run that online bit defender scanner before you go and save the log file when you finish to your desktop. Best online scanner around these days. Also can't hurt to install clamwin or avg yourself.

why dont you make BartPE discs with virus scan so you can use the network without using the comps hard drive? I can get a couple of isos if you guys need it

That is a great idea. The same can be done with knoppix and other live cd's. The problem with them though is that they do not always read the registry since it is not running within windows so data in the registry can be over looked.

Tookey's idea is really good. You can manually update the definition files before you make the cd and you can also run adaware from the cd. I used BartPE a lot in my old job to delete stuff that I could not from Windows itself.

Either I'm not understanding what exactly he's talking about, or you're not getting around the fundamental problem. If I hear him correctly, I still have to install software on someone's computer? Because that's what's the biggest pain. If I have to pass out disks for people to install them I either have to have a disk for everyone or they have to get passed around and that is a pain.

If it somehow rolls out via the network and is applied automatically when they connect, I would assume there would be a way for people to get around. Plus, if it did detect something, how am I going to know who's computer it is? I assume it would tell me an ip addy, but we'd have to set up a static network and assign ips to seats which again would be much more of a pain than just saving your av logs and showing them to a staff member before you plug in.

Either I'm not understanding what exactly he's talking about, or you're not getting around the fundamental problem. If I hear him correctly, I still have to install software on someone's computer? Because that's what's the biggest pain. If I have to pass out disks for people to install them I either have to have a disk for everyone or they have to get passed around and that is a pain.

If it somehow rolls out via the network and is applied automatically when they connect, I would assume there would be a way for people to get around. Plus, if it did detect something, how am I going to know who's computer it is? I assume it would tell me an ip addy, but we'd have to set up a static network and assign ips to seats which again would be much more of a pain than just saving your av logs and showing them to a staff member before you plug in.

With the BartPE, you will make the live-cd with the latest virus definitions and make like 10 disks. Have those who have not done a virus scan set up their PC in their regular spots but do not hook up the network. They then boot from the CD, someone start the scan for them and when it is done, they can call one of the staff over to verify. They then hook up to the network and boot into their normal machine.

oh yeah, and when following the BartPE instructions for Mcafee, the Sdat file they are talking about is located here: ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/superdat/intel

If you want, I can build an ISO for you like Wednesday or Thursday next week with the Definitions file for that day and upload it to an ftp of your choosing. Or I can put it on mine (it is free anyway) and upload it so you can get it.

We tried making the live CDs last year but ran out of time, remember?

We def followed the same format; setup your station, scan, have a staff member verify you are clean, connect.

This sounds promising...

The disks is what we are trying to avoid by asking people to run their av before they break down. We used AVG last year, had 5 to 10 disks even I think. The problem is when you have 80-90 gamers setting up computers at the same time, trying to pass disks around and get things installed on their comp and checked all at the same time, its a real pain. Half of the people get done and never pass the disk, even forget that its in their machine. Then someone needs one but who's got one, blah blah blah blah blah. I'm sure we can all agree it would be much easier to just do a scan before you break your comp down. The only way around that to my knowledge is to give everyone a disk when they sign up. That means we have to prepare 100+ disks ahead of time and to me and I'm sure the rest of the staff who are extremely busy getting things ready its a pain.

I guess I'm sounding defiant and I apologize because I know you guys are offering to help and just trying to make things easier. I totally appreciate that. No doubt there WILL be people there who don't run AV (I didn't until a few weeks ago when I got taken down and had to reformat.) or people who haven't updated and scanned. This year we will have disks, ZD that would be a great help if you could prepare that iso for us, one less thing we'd have to do. However, I'm giving forewarning, its very likely that we will have staff dedicated to scanning comps with no proof of scan and will be charging to do this in the future.

I would charge extra too. How is this fun for you guys when people show up with 2000 viruses on their machine. How can it be fun when half the people do not do a virus scan. There being a forewarned fee would ensure that most people will have done the scan before they show up.

I would charge extra too. How is this fun for you guys when people show up with 2000 viruses on their machine. How can it be fun when half the people do not do a virus scan. There being a forewarned fee would ensure that most people will have done the scan before they show up.

That'll scare them into doing it beforehand. I wouldn't have any objections to that, but I'm not in charge.

I will compile the ISO Tuesday next week and Upload it Wednesday so you will have time to download it and make the number of copies you need. I believe it is fairly small (if I remember correctly) and should burn fairly quickly.

If I can make it this year, I will help out with this if I can help in any way.

ZD if you can make it you have the job to organize it.....because you'll probably get LANBANNED in the first 10 minutes, so then you'll have lots of time to scan people's PCs.

But seriously, the job is yours if you want to take it on. There will be plenty of people to help you.