Identity Theft

tookey

So, even though I got a 10/10 on mcafee quizzes, have good virus scan, spyware scanners, and surfing habits...my paypal account got stolen.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who might be familiar with the legalities of all this and familiar with finances.

1) My current bank is TCF, according to them I have -800 dollars in my bank account. What is the time limit before they can say I overdrafted (even though I didnt)? Is it when I get the statement? Also, if I contact them to say that I wasn't overdrafting would it prevent it or do anything?

2) Paypal put a temporary hold on all the money stolen from me after clearing up my disputes. How long will it take to get reversed?

3) After changing passwords to all things I hold sacred, I still feel as though I am not doing enough. Any suggestions? I also would like suggestions on a good hard or soft firewall, even if I have to pay for it.

4) I know the sorry sac of poop that did this, and I'm pretty sure I know how he did it too... anyway to bring him to justice? Or to legally kill him? For those of you who are poor and live near chicago, I can offer you a job as a hitman...please pm.

if you know who did it and you reasonably know how he did it...then ask Paypal who you should send that information to.

I've never had my paypal account stolen, but I have had a credit card stolen and getting it fixed was as easy as saying "I didn't make these charges".

hope everything works out man!

if you know who did it and you reasonably know how he did it...then ask Paypal who you should send that information to.

I've never had my paypal account stolen, but I have had a credit card stolen and getting it fixed was as easy as saying "I didn't make these charges".

hope everything works out man!

paypal already agreed to reverse the funds (amazingly quick!), but they put a hold on some, and between the time for the hold and the time it takes to get back in my bank acct im worried about overdrafting :/

besides overdrafting im more worried about getting this scumbag, whom ive heard has stolen other people's paypals to justice...he doesnt have a paypal of his own but keeps jumping through stolen ones like a small-dicked vagrant

Paypal connected to your bank account? Ouch...I would never use anything but VISA with paypal as VISA's fraud protection is very handy (unless you forget to tell them you are going to Europe... :( )

Anyways...that sucks. I'm sure Paypal has some form of tracking system (with IPs) so let them know your suspicions.

Paypal connected to your bank account? Ouch...I would never use anything but VISA with paypal as VISA's fraud protection is very handy (unless you forget to tell them you are going to Europe... :( )

Anyways...that sucks. I'm sure Paypal has some form of tracking system (with IPs) so let them know your suspicions.

its connected through a visa check card, but i think im going to remove it, while it did make payments easier for me, it made them easier for him too

1. Call the bank and tell them what happened. May even be easier to print up some of the correspondence between you and paypal and physically go to a branch that you are familiar with and explain to them in person what is going on. Getting them involved as well may get law enforcement involved.

2. No idea. 90 days I think.

3. Change your email address. Try out Comodo firewall. It is free and really good.

4. Get whatever information that you can from Paypal.

if the person you think did it did it from another computer, file a report and insist they subpoena paypal for the ip address that withdrew the funds. you'll need that when you go to TCF to request all fees (overdraft, etc) get reversed....unless you get lucky and find a sympathetic TCF employee.

I will talk to my brother 'bout this. He's in the Secret Service in the electronic fraud department dealing directly with this sort of thing.

If he were in Chicago, I'd just tell you to file a report with him, but he's not so I'll ask him for advice.

Definitely file a police report. If you know who did it, beat them up...just kidding. Seriously, this kind of thing makes me seriously angry. Also, when you go to your back, close your account and open a different one (stay with your bank if you like) just to be safe. If you had any other payment accounts on your PayPal account, I would do the same thing with those. (for instance, alternative payments). I'm currently arguing with PayPal myself because they charged my bank account without my permission. I'm going into First Merit (my old bank) on Monday to try to dispute the payments.

That being said, changing your passwords is not enough for things like credit cards. In other words, if you've got a Visa card from somewhere, you call them, say you're a victim of identity theft and would like to close your old account and open a new one just to be safe--they should be willing to help you out with that--either that or they'll just give you a new set of numbers, which is essentially the same thing. Credit card companies are FAST to do this because they lose money when you get robbed.

I hope all this helps, I will ask my brother about it and see what he says....good luck! :peace:

• 4 weeks later...

i'd clean up the language in one of your posts :-p but other than that if you know who did it find his ip, do a reverse lookup on arin.net/whois alert his ISP that he is using his connection to illegally acquire funds. They'll freeze his connection making his PC useless against any further attempts and then resume your legal actions.. i got so fed up with spam and other attempts to spoof me that i started logging every IP and reporting them.. they wanna screw with me, i'll shut em down