Lions schooled raiders

nut

alright, after the first post, I deemed it too silly to validate with a response of any kind, but the more recent ones have just made that impossible now.

Don't get me wrong, the Lions are going to be better this year than they have in a long while. However, here's your official reality check, courtesy of the real world:

1. Their first two opponents, the Raiders and Vikings, received the 1st and 7th overall picks (respectively) in the past draft. Bottom-feeders from last year along with your beloved Lions.

2. The starting quarterbacks for those two teams: Luke McCown and Tarvaris Jackson. Come on, Tarvaris Jackson. Seriously.

3. The Lions needed a 19 point 4th quarter to beat the improved Raiders (granted they have a decent defense) and overtime to beat the Vikings, even though Jackson threw 4 picks (4!). When they beat a couple of playoff teams, wake me up.

4. They have to get past the Bears and the Packers in their division. The Bears can finish second in their division with that defense alone. The Packers have a very good young defense and I still wouldn't bet against Brett Favre. His game against the Giants (terrible defense aside) shows he still has a little something left in the tank.

5. I wouldn't trust Jon Kitna any further than I could throw him.

6. Relating to #5, you're one Kitna injury away from having J.T. O'Sullivan as your starting quarterback. Nuff said.

I see a ceiling for the Lions of 8-8 or 9-7 with a possible playoff berth if Chicago or Green Bay falters. I would guess they'll finish third in the division (possibly second if the previously stated happens)

Predicted NFC North finish:

1. Packers

2. Bears

3. Lions

4. Vikings

Neither the Colts nor the Patriots will go 16-0 this year, and I'm a die-hard Colts fan. Take a breath, ease up on the silly 16-0 talk, and enjoy an improved season from your long-suffering Lions.

Case Closed.

*edit* I spent the last 15 minutes trying to get myself to put the Bears at the top of that list... but as much as I would like to, Rex Grossman just hasn't shown enough indication that he can bounce back from that clunker performance in the super bowl. The thought of having to rely on him to get me a win or two to win the division just doesn't seem likely. Defense can help you win lots of games, but you need to be able to count on your quarterback to win you a couple if you have hopes of winning a division. I hope I'm wrong and he gets it together to become a semi-decent quarterback and just not screw things up too badly week to week. As everyone knows, it's impossible to predict anything and be 100% confident this early in a season.

Edited by boilersax

alright, after the first post, I deemed it too silly to validate with a response of any kind, but the more recent ones have just made that impossible now.

Don't get me wrong, the Lions are going to be better this year than they have in a long while. However, here's your official reality check, courtesy of the real world:

1. Their first two opponents, the Raiders and Vikings, received the 1st and 7th overall picks (respectively) in the past draft. Bottom-feeders from last year along with your beloved Lions.

2. The starting quarterbacks for those two teams: Luke McCown and Tarvaris Jackson. Come on, Tarvaris Jackson. Seriously.

3. The Lions needed a 19 point 4th quarter to beat the improved Raiders (granted they have a decent defense) and overtime to beat the Vikings, even though Jackson threw 4 picks (4!). When they beat a couple of playoff teams, wake me up.

4. They have to get past the Bears and the Packers in their division. The Bears can finish second in their division with that defense alone. The Packers have a very good young defense and I still wouldn't bet against Brett Favre. His game against the Giants (terrible defense aside) shows he still has a little something left in the tank.

5. I wouldn't trust Jon Kitna any further than I could throw him.

6. Relating to #5, you're one Kitna injury away from having J.T. O'Sullivan as your starting quarterback. Nuff said.

I see a ceiling for the Lions of 8-8 or 9-7 with a possible playoff berth if Chicago or Green Bay falters. I would guess they'll finish third in the division (possibly second if the previously stated happens)

Predicted NFC North finish:

1. Packers

2. Bears

3. Lions

4. Vikings

Neither the Colts nor the Patriots will go 16-0 this year, and I'm a die-hard Colts fan. Take a breath, ease up on the silly 16-0 talk, and enjoy an improved season from your long-suffering Lions.

Case Closed.

Kill Joy.

Shaftiel

Kill Joy.

Shaftiel

lol, sorry, it had to be said. I waited well over a week to see if anyone else would do it, but it never happened.

I just can't watch someone spouting out "w00t, 16-0 were [sic] goin 4ll teh wayz" stuff, especially after 2 weeks, and not give them a little well-constructed crap ;)

Especially when it's a team that picked in the top 2 in this year's draft.

Anyways, have a good season all you football fans, it's the best time of the whole year! :D

it's not as far fetched as you seem to think. their defense has been very solid thus far in shutting down the eagles and giants.

Again, it would not surprise me a bit if the Bears run away with the division again though. Like I said, it's impossible to really know whats going to happen after only two weeks. I just have a feeling the Packers will do more than most people seem to think they will do this year.

ok... it was a blow out tday..

BUT

three things good two things bad.

GOOD

1. Kitna is beastin it... he is bringing the team together and frankly the lions look a hell of a ton better this year because of him.

2. Wide recivers some of the best in the game... and there getting thrown to! Calvin is turning into a beast.. and roys been a beast for a loooooooooooooooong time.

3. There scedules iffy... but i think they can pull off the 8-8 9-7... hopefully they get 10. that'd beee coooool beanz.

BAD

1. first and foremost is the RUNNING GAME blows... If they had a decent running game things would be soooo much better. (and don't say its because they have a crummy defense... because its no excuse.)

2. The lions have a steam roll effect. They loose they tend to keep the streak.. I think this year things will be different though.

------

Yes... un-defeated talk is out now... but i really do think they can pull off a 10 game winning year and take the 2nd spot in nfc north.

realize we have JT osolovin ... it sounds frightening but it wont ever come to that.

They did go up against some pretty shady talent the first two games... and yes.. yes yes yes yesssss. i will give you the jackson 4 picks and few fumbles...

Lions for the WIN this year.. you will see.

oh and BTW... NO CRACK FOR ME.. you sicko.

I can't believe that the Packers beat the Chargers after they weren't able to punch in a touchdown from a half-yard away from the goal line on 4th down. This team is for REAL!!! GO PACKERS!

I think McCarthy wanted to get brett the record at home (tie it) didnt think they could do it. But yet I thought they should of let wynn try 2 times atleast.

• 4 weeks later...