Video card buying.

VooDooPC

I wanted to buy a video card in the next few weeks (Before Crysis comes out) and I am wondering what too do. I was thinking about getting an 8800GTS 640mb, but if I am spending that much I might as well spend some more and get a HD 2900 which is a little faster. Then I was thinking, if I am going to be paying 400 dollars on a video card, why not spend an extra 100 and get an 8800GTX, which will last longer.

I wanted an ATI card, but at this point I see no reason to get the 2900. The next high end ATI card with a 65m core (2950?) would be nice but who knows when those are going to come out. Even when they do come out, they still may not be able to compete with the 8800GTX.

I had my eye on this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130072

What should I do?

If you have the money, no reason not to get the 8800gtx. The one you picked out looks nice, I really like eVga, even if your not gonna use the stepup program (which with 8900's coming out prolly this winter) they have the lifetime warranty. <3 evga

Also what psu do you have? Make sure it can handle the 8800gtx, it does require 2 pcie 6 pin connectors.

step up program is, say you pay 500 for this and in 2 months they come out with a new card that is better and its 550, you can send them your card and 50 bucks and they will give you the new card.

but the psu is kinda low, cujo usually recommends 700w or so for the 8800gtx, but i know shaftiel put a 8800gtx into his dell xps410 which had a 400w psu i think.

Cujo should know for sure, wait for him to drop by.

I'm pretty sure they go with the value of your card at release date of the new card. I could be wrong, but it would make sense for them to do it that way. Like, you pay $500 now, when the g98 comes out it's $700, but the 8800 is now $350. 700-350=$350. So you spent an extra $150, but you had a sweet card inbetween times.

I could be wrong on this, but I dont think so...

your psu should be about 10% of the value of your system. your psu will do provided you get the 8800gtx for $250 and don't use any other parts...

take a look at a good brand name psu for at least $150. no sense in buying that card only to have your psu crap out because of the added load it's not used to. i've seen the addition of a system fan kill a cheap psu.

your psu should be about 10% of the value of your system. your psu will do provided you get the 8800gtx for $250 and don't use any other parts...

take a look at a good brand name psu for at least $150. no sense in buying that card only to have your psu crap out because of the added load it's not used to. i've seen the addition of a system fan kill a cheap psu.

Lets split it 50/50, you do the looking for the $150 PSU part and I will do the buying part. :)

I don't see why a GTX would require a more then 575w. My Antec 500w has been pushing my GTS for a few months now. Does the GTX really consume an extra 100w over the GTS?

Don't know how accurate this is but a fun link otherwise.

extreme power supply calculator

With a dual core, 2 HHDs, 1 gig DDR, and a 8800 GTS and other stuff my power is at 424w. I changed my GTS to a GTX and scored 451w.

What is the rep of his PS manufacturer? $25 does seems kinda cheap to me for a good PS but who knows.

The power supply was a few years old, it might have just been slowly dying and I never realized it until I hooked up something that needed a lot more juice. Another thing which might have caused problems is where it is located in my case. I have a large after market CPU heat sink which was sitting right below the power supply. The heat, combined with the age, combined with the power was just too much for it I think.

Now I have modular Thermaltake 750w Tough Power power supply.