I'm getting tired of putting my laptop up

[LaW]Maverick

imo, it'd help if the specifications were listed in the item description -> item specifics, instead of the html description at the bottom. the upper box lets shoppers put in criteria of what they're looking for, meaning you'll get better qualified page views.

isn't $1,100 a bit high for a used laptop? it's not like its a macbookpro or something.

~ZING!

paid $3,000 for it

and I had to put a new graphics card in it, and that card by itself cost $550.....

it's a 7800 GTX in there with its own onboard memory...that's very high-end for a laptop, it runs every beautifully and has a desktop processor in it so you can pop a better one in there if you want. It's only 'bout a year old, and all in all, to get something that plays games nearly as well as that thing, you're looking to pay at least $2,000.

Besides, some of them with less options have sold for more on eBay...

I hate to be the one to say this...but I don't think this is worth $1100...

Most people can build a "gaming" desktop for that much, which will out-perform this laptop.

I saw a similar rig going for around $800 a couple weeks ago.

I would have no reserve...just start the bids at $100 and see what happens.

Good luck!

(edited)

Like I said, looking at the selling history over the past week when I put it up there, there were systems with the old graphics card in 'em that sold for over $2,000 (people are ridiculous, I know)

Yes, I can build a better desktop cheaper

No, I can't build a better laptop cheaper (laptops are expensive as hell to make on your own)

The only reason I went with that price is because it gets better benchmark scores than current "gaming" laptops that are at the same price-point. Not only that, I've read that people that have the same motherboard that's in that thing (d900t) have been putting core2duo DESKTOP processors in it. That means that laptop has the potential to blow away any "gaming" laptop out there with an extra couple hundred dollars.

I wouldn't try to sell it for that much if I didn't feel that there was a lot of life left in that thing--primarily because they still churn out graphics cards to fit the board and it has a desktop, not a mobile, Socket LGA775 processor in it. It's not even hard to work on.

So, in other words, if you want a notebook (easier to take to LAN parties?) that can run with gaming desktops, this isn't a bad choice. Admittedly it could use another gig of RAM and a core2duo in it, but that's only 'bout $300 worth of parts. So for around $1400 you have a notebook that is seriously powerful, and surpasses notebooks that sell for $2,000 in performance. Hell, the thing already runs LotRO with the settings on Very High and Source with everything cranked--yes, I leave HDR on.

I'm not 100% the core2duo will work though, that's my only concern. I was going to give it a shot before I decided to get rid of the laptop, but I read an article on notebook forums that people had written a nice stable BIOS that allows the board to support the core2duo...should be fun to try at least! :-)

Edit Looks like the chipset in the mobo will support up to a Pentium D (remember the old school Pentium Dual cores?)...but it's still a desktop processor and would still perform quite well. In any case, were I buying a notebook for myself, and looking to keep the cost down below $2,000..I would consider something like this. Especially knowing there's a brand spanking new $550 graphics card in the thing...My laptop (that I'm using now) is just a whole lot more powerful :-) (it was also a hell of a lot more expensive)

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

If similar laptops are going for $2000, perhaps its not the machine but how it's being sold? I'd compare my auctions with theirs and see what's different. Are they paying for any of those special listing services? Do they lay out their descriptions differently? Use key words you don't? Don't use key words you do? Use deceptive practices? I'd try to be more like them. Of course, it could also be a fluke. Just because my neighbor just got $200k for his house which is smaller and in worse condition than mine doesn't mean I can expect $210k. Perhaps fair market value is only $180, my neighbor just happened across a couple of really interested buyers who started a bidding war. Fair market value goes right out the window goes right out the window at that point.

Best of luck, be prepared for the long haul if you're holding out for the right buyer and I hope you get what you want for it in the end.

If similar laptops are going for $2000, perhaps its not the machine but how it's being sold? I'd compare my auctions with theirs and see what's different. Are they paying for any of those special listing services? Do they lay out their descriptions differently? Use key words you don't? Don't use key words you do? Use deceptive practices? I'd try to be more like them. Of course, it could also be a fluke. Just because my neighbor just got $200k for his house which is smaller and in worse condition than mine doesn't mean I can expect $210k. Perhaps fair market value is only $180, my neighbor just happened across a couple of really interested buyers who started a bidding war. Fair market value goes right out the window goes right out the window at that point.

Best of luck, be prepared for the long haul if you're holding out for the right buyer and I hope you get what you want for it in the end.

Oh, I'll lower the price if it doesn't sell. This is the first time it's been up this long without being removed for an illegal bit (fraudulent) :-)

I'm not holding out, just for the first try--I'm trying to get as much as I can out of it. That's all.