Issue

mohawk

So i came home from watcing football at the bar for a couple hours yesterday afternoon, and found my pc in a continuous cycle..

windows will load.. mice / keyboard don't work.. resolution is at 800x600 (instead of 1650 x 1080).. it sits at the desktop for 10-15 seconds, then it power offs and cycles through again..

thoughts of what could be causing this?

Unfortunately and fortunately the girlfriend was at the bar with me..

I don't think it's the psu, i'm leaning towards hd

dont you have 2 hd's so unhook one and install windows on the other and test it (this would obviously be one of the last options imo)

that'll teach you to watch football...

seriously, try swapping the vid card. it sounds too consistent to be the psu. a corrupt windows install would also explain this. have you tried safe mode?

ha..

yeah - so a fresh install of windows xp did the trick

If you have any further problems, I would try swapping out power cables with your hard drives. Sometimes a cable can go bad, and then you'll get weird problems. Recently I formated and reinstalled XP 6 times in 2 weeks. After examining my cables while my PC was on, I noticed when I touched a cable the hard drive would click. So, I swapped it out with one of my fans to check to see if it actually was the cable. The fan would run, but if I touched the cable the fan would slow down almost to a stop. Later, I forgot about the "short" in my power cables, and hooked up the floppy drive I had. Well, the cable caught on fire and I had to clip off the power cable and use electrical tape to prevent shock. Now I have to get a new PSU so I don't risk burning my house down.