8800gt

tookey

(edited)
Still beatin that dead horse, eh Cujo?

:biglaugha:

which dead horse? see the article below in the ut3 section they mention the sli'ed cards running out of frame buffer space in ram and that they could be even faster with more ram.

I'm trying to find the article about this card I read yesterday that was saying it runs hotter than any 8800 variant out there...thought it was somewhere on DT's website but I can't find it...I'll post it if it turns up.

mo, i saw the same one. it runs hotter cause they needed to make it single slot cooler to be more competitive with ati.

it's here at the bottom.

Edited by Cujo

Still beatin that dead horse, eh Cujo?

:biglaugha:

which dead horse? see the article below in the ut3 section they mention the sli'ed cards running out of frame buffer space in ram and that they could be even faster with more ram.

I'm trying to find the article about this card I read yesterday that was saying it runs hotter than any 8800 variant out there...thought it was somewhere on DT's website but I can't find it...I'll post it if it turns up.

mo, i saw the same one. it runs hotter cause they needed to make it single slot cooler to be more competitive with ati.

it's here at the bottom.

Would a side case fan say a 120mm help in cooling it?

nvidia is just being dumb with their naming system. there are so many cards performing so close and all with different names. i'm so frigging irritated right now and not just because i'm sitting here with my 8800gtx that is now worth less than half of what i paid for it when compared to the new gt.

there's going to be at least 5 different 8800gts cards.

320mb

640mb

640mb with 112 shaders

512mb with 128 shaders

1024mb with 128 shaders

then you count all the various factory overclocked ones.

2 years from now when someone asks whether an 8800gts is a decent card for a second machine i'll have to ask so many questions.

at this rate, I will never be ready to build a system... LOL. I might just stick with the GT at this point... getting tired of waiting for the next best thing....

how long have you been waiting? 2 weeks isn't all that long. the next gfx cards won't be until late q1 or early q2 so it makes no sense to wait much longer.

nvidia is just being dumb with their naming system. there are so many cards performing so close and all with different names. i'm so frigging irritated right now and not just because i'm sitting here with my 8800gtx that is now worth less than half of what i paid for it when compared to the new gt.

Thats exactly why I got a 8800 GTS 8800 320mb at $300, think we got our cards around the same time if i'm not mistaken. $300 has always been my limit for video cards, they decrease in value faster then a new car off the lot.

2 years from now when someone asks whether an 8800gts is a decent card for a second machine i'll have to ask so many questions.

2 years from now I think all 8800 cards will run Doom 4 about the same, like garbage. :biglaugha:

2 years from now I think all 8800 cards will run Doom 4 about the same, like garbage. :biglaugha:

Heh. The joys of changing technology...

I'll probably get a GT. The price point is a big factor - plus the fact that I have been running a 7800 for a couple of years now....

Thats exactly why I got a 8800 GTS 8800 320mb at $300, think we got our cards around the same time if i'm not mistaken. $300 has always been my limit for video cards, they decrease in value faster then a new car off the lot.

sadly, or happily, depending how you look at it, i run my games at 1920x1200 with 4x and 16x so the 320mb was never really an option for me due to ram size. the reason i went gtx is because at the time it was only $100 more than the 640mb and again i use such a high res that the extra gpu power makes a larger difference as well. i didn't get the ultra because that was $200 extra for very minimal gains that could be easily made up ocing.

even your 320mb gts is devalued though. admittedly by not nearly as much.