Two monitors and a TV

VooDooPC

Is it possible too connect a TV AND two monitors all on the same PC at the same time?

The resolution for the TV and the two monitors must be different, because the TV is HD widescreen and the monitors are standard 17" 5:4 LCD resolution. The monitors will be a normal dual screen set up next too each other, so they will be the same resolution, but nothing will be cloned. The TV will probably be 720P. What cables and gizmos does one need too set this up?

Too work with I have:

2 DVIs output on PC (Nvidia 7800 or something, Using DVI to VGA converters for the monitors).

VGA input on TV.

1 HDMI input on TV (currently in use for a DVD upscanner, but could change)

Then the normal TV composite component junk.

Currently using UltraMON as well on XP.

What do I need to buy and do for this too work? Can it work?

well your vid card should have component output as well and should have come with an adaptor for it.

Yeah but can you send signal to all three? I never tried more than two so I wonder...

If you can't send to all three...I do setups like this all the time at work. We use Extron P/2DA splitter/amps which basically take one VGA signal and split/amplify it into two, so you could clone your second monitor and send it to your TV (but you wouldn't be able to extend the desktop with that method obviously.) Down side to this is that Extron components are expensive...

(edited)

i don't think you will be able to send to all three because you only have two video outs on the card, and you need a different resolution on that TV.

And next component is horrible on TV's. Search around the net and buy yourself a DVI to HDMI cable for cheap. DVI and HDMI are the exact same except hdmi has a different looking connector and it also carries audio, so its basically as easy as splicing a new end on a DVI cable.. Or just convert that DVI to analog VGA and run it straight to your TV.

Edited by NOFX

i don't think you will be able to send to all three because you only have two video outs on the card, and you need a different resolution on that TV.

And next component is horrible on TV's. Search around the net and buy yourself a DVI to HDMI cable for cheap. DVI and HDMI are the exact same except hdmi has a different looking connector and it also carries audio, so its basically as easy as splicing a new end on a DVI cable.. Or just convert that DVI to analog VGA and run it straight to your TV.

component is horrible?? looks just fine coming from my hd box. do a google for component vs dvi or hdmi and you'll find there is very little difference in quality. digital is nicer simply because the computer can recognize the device properly.

i bought a dvi to hdmi cable for my laptop to my 32inch aquos at the cottage and it did not work as i expected. certainly, the nvidia drivers did not recognize the tv properly and i was not able to output at 1920x1080. even 1280x720 didn't look nearly as clear as expected.

soon we'll be buying a little media centre pc and i'll be sure to get one of those ati hdmi cards.

voodoo, you could always buy a second 7800. or you could buy a matrox pci card that you could use for the second monitor.

The only problem with component is latency, colour balancing (both of which are negligible) and the ability of your TV to accept certain signals over it

Some TV's just won't accept anything higher than 1080i over component.

Also, HDMI can carry both analog and digital signals, so be wary that your TV (or your adapter might not have had the digital connection portion of the DVI input) might not accept a digital signal over HDMI (crazy, I know).

The only problem with component is latency, colour color balancing (both of which are negligible) and the ability of your TV to accept certain signals over it

fixt.

someone had to do the canadian-english translation :D

The only problem with component is latency, colour color balancing (both of which are negligible) and the ability of your TV to accept certain signals over it

fixt.

Say the word "colon", then say "color"...feel silly yet?

component is horrible?? looks just fine coming from my hd box. do a google for component vs dvi or hdmi and you'll find there is very little difference in quality. digital is nicer simply because the computer can recognize the device properly.

i bought a dvi to hdmi cable for my laptop to my 32inch aquos at the cottage and it did not work as i expected. certainly, the nvidia drivers did not recognize the tv properly and i was not able to output at 1920x1080. even 1280x720 didn't look nearly as clear as expected.

Given my experience with my Nvidia 7800Gt and my 56" Panasonic 18080i/720p TV. I ran component out to my TV and there was a big difference between that and running a VGA. VGA looks much better. the component looked fuzzy, after all it is an analog signal..

Do you have a 1080p tv? or 1080i? If its 1080i, you will have to use powerstrip for ATI and Im not sure what NVIDIA uses, but the video card has to be changed to output in Interlaced.

I can run 1024x768 great on my TV, but since it is only 1080i, I can't do 1920x1080 by default. I have been reading this is how it is to be done, but haven't had the chance to test it out yet.

fixt.

Say the word "colon", then say "color"...feel silly yet?

ok, you've lost me now... :shrug03:

yeah they don't sound the same, but stickin' a "u" in there won't fix that :D

sounds like you had bad component cables. hd from my sat box over component looks just as good as downloaded hd on my computer over dvi. and i'm not talkin about the 350mb xvid encodes. i'm talkin 1.4gb 720p rips.