GC or NOT GC, that is the question?

Cannon_Fodder

My GC membership is due this month and I'm questioning if it makes sense to renew? First we burned out on matches (I don't know why we kept Temerity towards the end). Even before UT3 GC'ers were seldom pubbing much together. The demo for UT3 has no team warfare and it's not looking too hopeful for the official release.

It's not that I'm too cheap to re-up. I'm just wondering why I should?

What does everyone think?

We COULD find a game that's not ut3, but let's face it - we're ut'ers. I'm still pubbing with wentz/bush/tom in freon (once I get tired of tam at night I join them)... feel free to join us. :)

UT3 isnt out yet. We have to try warfare, which will be verrrrry different than that vctf map whatever it's called.

Back that CS stuff up there Clue, we UT players are a different breed man. :biglaugha:

We have to wait 18 more days before we start our final judgment. Hey Wentz can Cannon bum 50 bucks off ya. :biglaugha: You have all month to decide, as for the freon and tam stuff, some of us just really stink at DM thats why we don't play it. I'm really hoping that the Warfare brings back that one more round kind of feeling. If not, I might just have to go head on into something else and end up one of those part time gamers. :erm:

Cannon -- I've been struggling with the same question as you, just different timing. I was planning on signing up for a GC membership (admin) for when UT3 came out, but now that I feel so let down, what's the point? The future of the TF2 server is uncertain, and same with the UT3 server.

Anyone have any ideas for a UT3 replacement that scratches our itch?

Back that CS stuff up there Clue, we UT players are a different breed man. :biglaugha:

Totally. But it doesn't mean us steak people can't enjoy a salad from time to time.

TF2 is a lot of fun, and definitely has that "one more round" feel. The movement is sandbagged like CS though, and I think that's what keeps it from being a UT3 replacement.

(edited)

I'm content playing tam/freon for a couple hours a night if ut3 ends up crapping on a crap cracker. I do however miss playing some TWL matches and I'm sure that UT3 will have the playerbase to support a wide range of competition. I really think that this (and the past year) is/has been a layoff period in anticipation of the release.. and we'll start to see a lot more activity very soon. And I personally won't be leaving GC because even if ut3 is horrible and we end up playing internet checkers, I can't think of a better group of dudes to play with. There's a few of us in vent pretty much nightly, and all someone would have to do is join and say "hey, onslaught.. now!" and I'd /quit freon and join ONS as soon as the round ended. It saddens me to think that any one of us would have a "disconnected" feeling from the other members, because we're all about having good positive fun with friends around here. PLUS i'm pretty sure Primus indirectly offered to pay Cannon's dues for the next 27 years. Thanks Primus :D

Edited by Wentz

I'm not saying "leave forever"... you guys are stuck with me harassing you. :) I'm just talking about renewing dues. That's the impression I got from Cannon's post too. So we'll still be around playing Internet Checkers, but do we really need a GC checkers server going for that?

The way I see it, paying dues is done for a two reasons:

1. Supporting the server (servers aren't cheap, and we all want GC servers around)

2. Reserve slots

Now if we're not playing on a game on a GC server, then there's nothing our money is supporting that has any return. It basically turns the membership dues into a charity, and I don't think that was ever the goal.

I need to get on vent more wentz. That way I can tell you how many points you lose instead of just having to type -1, -2, -5 etc. And wentz is totally right - it's the group of guys that make this place the place to be.

Right now for me, TAM and freon have the "one more round" feel to them. I hate the sandbag movement for multiplayer, but I MIGHT try out tf2 sometime soon. BTW, unclean, we have tam and freon on nepenthe revisited or whatever it's called :D

Edited by DarkArchon

Having played the demo I'm waiting for the full release to be reviewed before I commit to buying it (yes I may be joining the UT folks). But, on the other side if it doesn't work out, I used to love the COD games and if the new multiplayer is as quick paced and fun as the older games I may well be playing that instead.

edit: as a CSS player UT3 has no impact on my remaining as a paying GC member, but wanted to throw out a possible alternative that I always found fast paced and fun.

edit 2: oh and the Crysis multiplayer is pretty good as well, even in beta stages, it's a quantum leap from FarCry which just MP tacked on.

Edited by Leveller

Right now the only place my GC dues are going to is the Vent server. Like Wentz says, get on the horn and call us over. I'm not playing UT much any more but I still usually play an hour or so every night. If no one is on vent I look to see who's in my buddy list -keep that tag on.

As far as UT3 goes I dunno if I will even buy it. I will wait a week and read the forums and see how many people are yelling at me to pick it up.

It's friday so you know I'll be on a few hours while I chug some beers, just add GC][* to your buddy list and get on vent. :prplwacko:

(edited)

WOW, I'm really feelin the love here man--- :hug: You guys are chokin me all up. Seriously, Your all right about all of it, I've been to other clans and joined for a bit and have come to the conclusion that the GC really does have the friendliest folks around. My issue is being torn on whether or not to join back up or see if I want to go full on with my brothers situation. Things don't always move forward with him at times so I tend to be a little careful in the area. I don't like playing with matches. :huh:

Anyhow, I'll see you guys in vent and we'll go from there. As far as UT3--I'll be getting it along with about a paycheck worth of other ones. :bang:

Edited by Primus

I need to get on vent more wentz. That way I can tell you how many points you lose instead of just having to type -1, -2, -5 etc. And wentz is totally right - it's the group of guys that make this place the place to be.

Right now for me, TAM and freon have the "one more round" feel to them. I hate the sandbag movement for multiplayer, but I MIGHT try out tf2 sometime soon. BTW, unclean, we have tam and freon on nepenthe revisited or whatever it's called :D

I am getting into tam a little. I do suck at it. I cannot dodge that well and my fov80 tends to let me only see straight in front. Just visualize a guy running into rooms with a long barrel sniper rifle with a scope to his eye. Not a lot of peripheral awareness. Thats me. I do like the open maps like Tokara Forest. It is open enough that dodging matters but not as much as a confined space. Lets the ons players feel like ons just without vehicles, nodes, and core and a limited supply of ammo.

Thanks for everyone's comments. It's not the money (so I'm not hitting up Primus for a loan :smiling2: ) and it's certainly not the people. I joined GC to start with as I thought it was a great group and wanted to contribute to the GC server where I'd spent most of my time pubbing. I was very pleased with the welcome I got when joining and for all of the continued support.

I guess it's really an issue of whether or not the official release of UT3 is decent. It's amazing how people are still actively playing the UT2K4 demo maps on a regular basis after all of this time and we've already given up on the UT3 demo.

In the mean time my personal preference has been ONS but more on alternate maps versus freon or TAM death matches. The TK5 people will get together on occasion doing this and as I get slaughtered all over the map I'm always hoping some GC'rs will join the fray. I guess I should pay more attention to Vent so I can ask others to join. I suppose I should give freon more of a chance too.

I have until the end of the month to decide on renewing and there should be some plenty of discussion on the quality of the final release of UT3 by then. I'll probably need to bite the bullet on a PC upgrade if I decide to stay in too. Unclean was very helpful with a recent PC build which was for my son so I know what I want to put together if I decide to pull the trigger.