Unclean

Hope she says yes Unclean!!

I'll bet you $100 she says yes. She HAS been with him for 5 years... :luxhello:

just didnt want to jinx it!

Plenty of time to research the diamonds. convince her diamonds support slavery

fixed that for you, you can thank me later

attempt'd, failed..

gave in for personal reasons :X

seeing as i'm still single i dont have any engagement stories I can share. But I will share how my brother in-law proposed to my sister.

So about 2 years I get home from work and my sis b/f is sitting there in the kitchen and i'm baffled...he had already asked for my parents blessing which they gave. He then goes to me "dude...i'm marrying u sister...u cool with that" i'm like...."cool".

He then left the house as to make sure my sister wouldn't catch them at home. He then arranged for my sister's best friend to bring her to the park where they first met. In that park there is a tree where they engraved their names on (corny i know...) the whole time my sister is like "where are you taking me" and her friend kept quiet. So they get to the tree and out emerges my brother in law. At first she didn't recognize him cuz it was dark out but then she saw the sparkle of the ring from the moonlight and immediately started to bawl.

It's kind of original but at the very least very thoughtful. Maybe you can take her to the place you first met.

I do have an engagement idea but i'm holding on to this one...very original and I hope to use it someday so i have nothing further to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated this thread in awhile... a few things happened.

Over Thanksgiving, I asked her parents for their permission. I kept chickening out, but at the end of the night, there was my opportunity: when they were leaving, I had to move my car so they could back out. I had this whole big speech planned out -- COMPLETELY BOTCHED IT -- and they're just staring at me with blank expressions. I kept thinking "SAY SOMETHING!" while simultaneously thinking of ways they could say no. "You're not Catholic" or "Too late... she started dating a guy named Mark". So finally the dad goes "of course you have our permission! Welcome to the family." I joked that she didn't say yes yet. :) So I have the parents' permission.

Ring shopping is next -- I was referred to a shop in Chicago in Jeweler's row. So far they've been really friendly with everything, and prices are pretty competitive, so I'm going in today for a final look before pulling the trigger. Just got back from the bank, and I've never carried this much cash around. (There's a discount if you pay in cash, no CC fees). Pics to follow depending on how things work out...

Haven't updated this thread in awhile... a few things happened.

Over Thanksgiving, I asked her parents for their permission. I kept chickening out, but at the end of the night, there was my opportunity: when they were leaving, I had to move my car so they could back out. I had this whole big speech planned out -- COMPLETELY BOTCHED IT -- and they're just staring at me with blank expressions. I kept thinking "SAY SOMETHING!" while simultaneously thinking of ways they could say no. "You're not Catholic" or "Too late... she started dating a guy named Mark". So finally the dad goes "of course you have our permission! Welcome to the family." I joked that she didn't say yes yet. :) So I have the parents' permission.

Ring shopping is next -- I was referred to a shop in Chicago in Jeweler's row. So far they've been really friendly with everything, and prices are pretty competitive, so I'm going in today for a final look before pulling the trigger. Just got back from the bank, and I've never carried this much cash around. (There's a discount if you pay in cash, no CC fees). Pics to follow depending on how things work out...

Hahaha...nice! I was nervous as all get out when I asked for Amanda's parents' blessing. I'm not Catholic--they are, so I know where that thought came from. So I told them by taking them out to dinner at the Macaroni Grill. I tell them that I'm planning to ask Amanda to marry me, but I'd like their blessing first. They're shocked, but smiling--I think to myself, "well, smiles are good." Then they start asking me questions about how I'm going to do it, which I nervously answered while constantly thinking to myself, "They haven't said yes yet!" So once there was a pause in the questions I said "You know, you never did answer my original question. . ."

They laughed and said "Of course! Welcome to the family! We are honored!" I think they just wanted to torture me. :-) Anyway, sounds like you're doing well. I know a bit 'bout diamonds (clarity, cut, etc.) and what not from doing the research on my wife's ring (yup, I'm that much of a nerd). I'd post up a pic of it, but I can't figure out how to attach stuff anymore...

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

Mav -- that sounds cruel and hilarious at the same time. As far as attaching pictures go, why not use a photo hosting service like flickr? For example...

Here's the ring I bought yesterday:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2143/208061...3413d07a8_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/208061...fb0007fd9_b.jpg

.79CT/Ideal cut/G/VS2, hearts and arrows diamond.

Best wishes Unclean. Have you proposed yet? As far as advice goes I'd have to say to refuse any advice from others. You know her best by now so you should know better then anybody what will make for the best situation that the both of you will enjoy and remember.

• 2 months later...

Yeah so here's my fun story:

I'm an Idiot.

Anyways.

We decided we wanted to get married together. (not your typical... guy asks the girl thing) I didn't have money at the time so it was kind of an in the back of the mind thing. I gave her a promise ring for X-mas last year. Semi-cheap little band with a 1/10th k diamond. That was good for a while until we found the big one. So during that time we started to plan a little. Date, location and such. We also decided to go to Disney World this past summer(evil grin). So.. before we left for Disney we have been looking around for a nice wedding ring for her. I didn't want to get something she wouldn't like. From what it sounds like now, people have been going more towards this option anyways. And of course she picks the expensive one that costs about how much I would make in 4-5 months and totally drains my bank account.. but it was worth it :)

So at this point I told her that I can't buy it at all.. it's way too expensive at the moment. and she believes me for some reason. hahah I win.

We go to Disney(ring in luggage). 1st day in the park.. I have the ring in my pocket in a plastic bag. Yeah stupid move I know.. but I couldn't bring the ring box with me! I have it in my right pocket most of the day and she is wondering why I keep reaching in my pocket. So she goes and tries to reach in.. I somehow sneak it to my left pocket like a ninja.

Marry me time?

We are in front of Cinderella's castle.. the whole cliche thing. I have one of those photopass guys come over and take a picture of us. I try to get the stinkin ring out of that plastic bag.. shes like what are you doing? ..MISSION ABORT. So I scratched that and we just got our picture taken. oh well.

It gets to be about 9 o' clock at night.. almost the end of the day. We go on her favorite roller coaster ride for the second time(Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). So I'm like screw it.. lets get it over with. So nervous at that time. We line up at the cart and I hide it in my hand so I didn't have trouble again. On the way up the slow first hill in the dark I slip it on her hand. On the rest of the way up she was just screaming about the ring and kissing me.. awww. Throughout the whole ride she just couldn't believe it. So that was the end of the day :)

Wasn't your typical get on your knee and ask thing. She really liked it. It made the moment very memorable.

thering.jpg

n69205965_31939556_9316.jpg

Whoa! Totally forgot to update this thread.

And Bullet - great story! It's a lot easier to *say* you're going to propose than actually do it, isn't it?

For me, December 8th was the day. I had reservations at her favorite restaurant, but she wanted to go out shopping before dinner. So we're out, and I'm nervously looking at the time. Then she wants to go to Kohl's, but I stop by the gas station first (the place was about 1.5 hrs away, and I was low on gas). She keeps telling me gas is cheaper in another area, but I fill up anyway. Then we start driving, and I try to covertly type the address into the GPS. Yeah, didn't work out so well. She sees it, and goes "why are you typing in Ogden ave? Are we going to City Club?!" Dang it!

So she thought it was a surprise to take her there, so she's happy. Amazingly, she suspected nothing. When we got there, they put us in a corner spot, which was perfect. We actually had some privacy there. I was casing out the area too, to see how I could get down on one knee. Looked like it was possible, though.

Towards the end of the meal, I prepare to make the little speech I had been rehearsing, and she starts talking about the rocky parts of our relationship. WHY did she choose that exact moment? So I steer the conversation away from that, mangle the speech a little, and start scooting the chair back slowly. She kept asking what I was doing. Then I reached into my jacket to pull out the box.

And it's stuck. I mean, it's REALLY jammed in there. And since I didn't really plan for a "stall the speech until I can get the box out of the jacket" part, I just kept saying "hang on" and tugging away at the blasted thing. Finally it worked free, and I got on one knee to ask her to marry me. It went like this:

Me: "Will you marry me?"

Her: "..."

Her: "Are you serious?"

Me: "Yes"

Her: "Are you serious?!"

Me: "Yes!"

Her: "Yes, I'll marry you!"

So after all that... fumbling through asking her parents, getting lost in Chicago during a snowstorm shopping for her ring, nearly botching the proposal... it was all worth it to see the way she looked at me that night. Now it's wedding planning time, and that's a whole new thread! :)

I was at a basketball game a couple weeks ago and a guy asked his girl on the jumbo screen in front of about 8,000 fans. She ran away, leaving the poor guy kneeling as she fled up the stairs and out of the arena. So yeah.. they can go bad. Although the game was kinda flat, so that made it more interesting!