Anybody running two vid cards (SLI)

Ruff_Ryder

in benchmarks.

that's the key.

ruff, what monitor do you have? i know you have 1 8800gtx already so if you're on anything less than a 24 inch monitor you won't really benefit from sli. even on my 24inch i'm able to run most games at full settings with my single gtx.

I understand that benchmarks arent real world, but they do show performance gains. There is also a huge difference in game performance too, but I cap my fps, so I cant really tell you what its doing, but the game looks and feels smoother. Also have to consider that I have an older card, so 2 of them works great for me, cant really say if 2 newer cards would give the same pleasure. It was a cheap upgrade for me, especially since I hadnt owned my first card long enough to consider pitching it for a new one...they come out with crap so fast these days.

P.S Cujo...his post never stated what card he had...if I would have known he had an 8800gtx...I would have never embarrased myself bringing by lowly 7900gt's into this topic :P

I understand that benchmarks arent real world, but they do show performance gains. There is also a huge difference in game performance too, but I cap my fps, so I cant really tell you what its doing, but the game looks and feels smoother. Also have to consider that I have an older card, so 2 of them works great for me, cant really say if 2 newer cards would give the same pleasure. It was a cheap upgrade for me, especially since I hadnt owned my first card long enough to consider pitching it for a new one...they come out with crap so fast these days.

P.S Cujo...his post never stated what card he had...if I would have known he had an 8800gtx...I would have never embarrased myself bringing by lowly 7900gt's into this topic :P

Cujo knows everyones hardware off the top of his head...it's a freaky talent...

I think as soon as Dec 11 hits and the new GTS are out, the GTs will begin to look better and better (price, as well as performance) for SLI. Unfortunately (thanks for the article link in the other thread) the new GTSs are back to dual slot cooler.

Meh. I have seen (in gaming benches done on Hardocp, toms hardware, etc...) that the GTs in SLI have had great performance with very little problem...

I just bought 1 EVGA 8800GT at newegg... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130303

It is a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I don't really see prices dropping until mid Jan because of sup/dem issues.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

i know his hardware cause he posted his new rig in another thread.

tek, the dual slot coolers are much better as they exhaust hot air out of the case. the gt by itself runs quite hot and all that heat just stays in the case. plan on having extra airflow in that area if going sli.

i know his hardware cause he posted his new rig in another thread.

tek, the dual slot coolers are much better as they exhaust hot air out of the case. the gt by itself runs quite hot and all that heat just stays in the case. plan on having extra airflow in that area if going sli.

I have tons of hot air!

Oh, uhh...

Yep, been reading all about it. But, I have a single slot 7900GT KO now and it is really hot too. I have 2 x 120 intake (Front) and one 80 intake pointed right at PCI-e slot...

Two 120's out and 1) 80 out at top. Plus my rig sits on floor in basement and it is cold as bejeezus down there. So far, my 7900GT (highly overclocked) is running in the mid/upper 60s under load. I expect much the same from the 8800... :huh: hopefully.

I have been seeing some good results with changing fan speed for the GT using Rivatuner software. Apparently the most GTs come with their HSF running default at LOW...ftw!?

I know that the dual slotty external exhaust is good thing. I installed 3rd party dual slot on my last GPU and it brought temps down at load by 12-15 degrees. nice...

I haven't seen such a thing thus far for the GTs.

I'm running dual 8800GTX's. SLI is pretty sweet, when the drivers support the game. Sometimes you have to run the game in single gpu mode to get decent performance. I have had a couple situations where the performance under SLI was worse than that of one gpu. Every time so far its been solved by updated drivers.

All in all I would say I'm pretty happy with the performance of SLI.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughterâ„¢-TopBrass

ruff, what monitor do you have?

Dell 2405.

nice. same as me. if you're playing newer games like crysis or pro street then a second card would help. though to be honest, i run pro street with full settings (including 4x aa) and avg over 30 fps so i'm not sure how much more performance you need...

I have two 7900 GS's in my laptop, and it definitely outperforms other laptops with just one 7900 GS...in other words, significant performance gain.

My desktop, however, runs a single BFG 8800 GTX OC ed., and it ran the Crysis demo with factory settings with the graphics cranked without a single hiccup. All-in-all, I'm not sure that having two 8800 GTX's would be worth the performance gain vs. cost. I plan on buying a second 8800 GTX next summer or something, provided the prices have dropped enough, and that should continue to run games at max settings for years