Lose fat in specific places

Playaa

Right, for reference sake in this image I am the one directly above Mr. Mustard (the guy in the center of the pic) with the farmers tan, silver shorts and insanely pale body. That was 4 years ago and I weighed about 290lbs. I am still basically that big, I lost 20lbs just by cutting soda out of my life (I still drink it every once in awhile...but I used to drink 5-6 a day). 20lbs is a nice start and all...but I'm still 275lbs (plus or minus) and only 6'1" tall. That isn't a healthy weight.

My goal isn't really to lose weight though, nor is it to build a strong toned body or anything...I just want to be in "better shape" and my only other real goal right now is to get rid of the fat around my waist, and get rid of my "man boobs". I have no real idea how to go about doing that.

Now, here are my limitations:

1) I'm poor...so no expensive health plans, no special weights or gym visits.

2) I'm actually so out of shape, that I can't physically work out to the point where I sweat. My body gives out before I reach that point. So I need to get to the point where I have the endurance to at least get a good workout in.

I will say, that my legs are no problem whatsoever so those don't need strengthened...just the middle and upper part of my torso.

Well, I'm not an expert; so I'll let the experts reign in. But one thing to consider is core training. You should be able to google core training -- and get an idea of what I'm referring to. There is a lot you can do for strengthening your core that you can do with no, or relatively inexpensive equipment ... like a few weights and a stability ball -- maybe a floor mat (although carpet will do fine). When you start out core training, you'll be surprised at how little you can do; but that changes over time.

Other than that, eat small frequent meals; increase your fiber intake to get your digestive system moving along -- drink lots of water. You shouldn't need to break a sweat to lose weight. Do a little research on target heart rate for burning fat -- and consider purchasing an inexpensive HR monitor. There are various theories about target HR for burning fat. I don't remember what they all are -- but generally lower intensity workout will burn fat, and higher intensity your body switches to a diff type of energy. Theres something about duration too -- that it takes a while before your body switches to a different energy source. Anyway ... I haven't read anything about this for a while so I cannot remember much specifics; but with your size you may be able to achieve your Target HR by walking.

Edit*

Also consider that every bit of muscle you gain increases your metabolism, and you can do quite a bit with just a few dumbells. I think those are pretty cheap -- like 50 cents a pound (maybe) for a set? So set of 15 pounders would be ~ $15? Not sure if thats accurate anymore.

Edited by Bewildered

As far as losing fat in specific places -- the theory I believe is that you lose it first from where you gained it last. Nothing that I know of allows you to target specific areas for fat loss. Adding muscle to certain areas can change the look ... for example strengthening your abdominals can help hold your gut in.

For me, when I was losing weight, I couldn't do cardio, but I didn't know about the low impact thing burning fat or I probably would have done a ton of walking. If you're in a cold climate, malls are a great place to walk provided you stay away from the food court. Anyway, so I stuck more with weights. I bought two 10 and two 12 pounds hex weights and did lots of arm raises, miltary presses, butter flys (lying down), sort of a half-assed squat thing, etc. You can even do these in combination with a stability ball to make your self a cheap gym that fits in your closet. The thing is about resistance training is that you won't burn a whole lot while you do it, but the added muscle will burn calories as you sit, sleep, play WoW, etc. I lost the majority of my weight through resistance training. If you choose to do this, don't waste a lot of time with the smaller muscles -- you've much more to gain by working the larger muscles; like your legs, chest, shoulders.

Then I totally changed my diet. I'm not going to recommend a diet, cuz different things work for diff ppl. I did the Suzanne Summers diet (since my wife (GF then) was doing it). One thing I did learn is if you try one of the (low) glycemic index diets, you'll want to make sure you get enough fiber or you'll start bleeding from where you should not. This happened to me because I tried to do it by eating only things like meat and cheese. Practically every low carb diet is based on glycemic index and glycemic load.

You can try this without buying/reading any books or buying special meals. Basically, you eat low on the glycemic index. So replace white rice with brown rice. Buy 100% whole wheat bread instead of white bread. If you want to try something like this I can give you some more ideas, but I'll stop here unless you're interested.

Alcohol is another one of those things ... for me if I drink, I gain weight. My wife is generally unaffected. I started writing down everything I ate. Nowadays, you can go to Calorie King and look up the calories in practically everything. If you have no idea ... then this is a good exercise. Measure (or estimate if you can't measure) everything you eat for a week (by day), then post up in here.

I do already drink water (though I could probably do with more). I love milk but I only drink skim. I only eat whole wheat bread (when I eat bread). When I eat rice (which is often) the majority of the time it is brown. I also eat alot of grilled chicken (the frozen boneless kind you buy at Walmart).

I actually really like rice...rice and chicken is probably my favorite meal...but it's also boring and slightly flavorless. I'm just learning how to cook for myself (yeah I know...but I have one of those mother's that is lost when she isn't cooking or cleaning for you) so I am trying to figure out ways to make it more flavorful. Planning on picking up some spices (probably curry's) tonight.

I'll definitely try some of the things you said...we'll see where it gets me. I'd say my biggest problem is finding time...I HAVE the time, but I'm one of those people that gets home from work and mentally doesn't want to do anything but veg.

All special meals are going to do for you is portion control. If thats something you need help with then go for them. Otherwise follow the glycemic index like bewildered said. Its not a no carb diet, but it seperates the bad carbs from the good ones. Also, the more fiber you have the more carbs you can have.

the best way to (argue it if you want) to cut fat off your body is low intensity jogging, not to the point that you are out of breath and panting for air but a good enough pace that you are still getting a good workout for about 15 - 30 mins about 4 -5 days a week. You have to go for atleast 15 minutes so your areobic oxygen energy system can begin to break down fat stores for energy, if you work too hard your body uses your anearobic LA system which synthesises energy from glucose and lactic acid is produced (muscle burning yada yada) so basically if you work too hard you wont burn fat as efficiently. As Bewildered said a good core workout will aslo be benifitial in toning and building muscle and for every kilgram of muscle you gain you lose a certain amount of fat (cant quite remember how much).. unfortunantly you can't chose where to lose excess fat from which is a bummer, hope it helped a little

So let me start out by saying that I'm no expert. sooooooo

Reduce your meal sizes until you are eating 6 times a day. When you finally start the 6 meal a day program, you should only have VERY small portions. Like half a sandwich and a cookie.

If your getting full on your meals its a bad thing.

Exercise 15-30 minutes every other day. Then slowly get it up to 1 hour every other day. You want to start slow on all of these things so your body can get use to them.

Do small things that will make a huge difference.

Replace your computer chair with a large fitness ball. etc...

FIND A FITNESS PARTNER!

I cannot stress that enough! Somebody to workout with you, eat the same diet with you, etc. If it helps, start a competition. (just a suggestion, works for some people, not so well for others)

Aerobics aerobics aerobics

Ive seen some pretty big guys get hurt because they think the best way to lose weight is to weight lift. Do aerobics, simple stuff like jumping jacks, squat thrusts, treadmills, nordictrack, stuff to get your heat rate up.

Even if in the beginning it means going on a 1 hour walk.

No going out to eat. There are exceptions like subway etc, but in general, they are bad news. I lost 10 pounds off of my 200 pound body by just eating at home instead of mc d's and burger king.

I am not an expert. But these things helped me a TON. I use to be 255. Now I am a comfortable 190. Surrounding myself with people that work out and have helpful advice is BY FAR the best thing I could have done. Otherwise I would have gave up long ago.

Good luck!

torso is always the last part of the physique to really get all that toned, even if you do a million situps or crunches a day. diet is big, start doing cardio workouts till you have at least one heart attack. riding the bike is always a good way to start.

you can diet all you want, but if you want to see results that are long term and wont make you feel guilty if you eat ice cream twice a week you need to work out like you're training for a big race or something.

some ppl i know who've had success have chosen to run a 10K or even marathon at a specific date, like 3 months away. this "judgement day" always seems to be good motivation, plus you get to accomplish something really neat. nobody scoffs at anyone who runs a 10K or up no matter the time they run.

Edited by Nick Soapdish

you can not target lose fat.

Answer

Contrary to popular belief, doing specific exercises do not target the fat around a specific area.

There is absolutely no way to target specific areas of fat. Period.

For best results, you must do aerobic activity, weight training and proper diet to lose fat. Your body burns the fat as a whole, not from specific areas.

So let me start out by saying that I'm no expert. sooooooo

Reduce your meal sizes until you are eating 6 times a day. When you finally start the 6 meal a day program, you should only have VERY small portions. Like half a sandwich and a cookie.

If your getting full on your meals its a bad thing.

Exercise 15-30 minutes every other day. Then slowly get it up to 1 hour every other day. You want to start slow on all of these things so your body can get use to them.

Do small things that will make a huge difference.

Replace your computer chair with a large fitness ball. etc...

FIND A FITNESS PARTNER!

I cannot stress that enough! Somebody to workout with you, eat the same diet with you, etc. If it helps, start a competition. (just a suggestion, works for some people, not so well for others)

Aerobics aerobics aerobics

Ive seen some pretty big guys get hurt because they think the best way to lose weight is to weight lift. Do aerobics, simple stuff like jumping jacks, squat thrusts, treadmills, nordictrack, stuff to get your heat rate up.

Even if in the beginning it means going on a 1 hour walk.

No going out to eat. There are exceptions like subway etc, but in general, they are bad news. I lost 10 pounds off of my 200 pound body by just eating at home instead of mc d's and burger king.

I am not an expert. But these things helped me a TON. I use to be 255. Now I am a comfortable 190. Surrounding myself with people that work out and have helpful advice is BY FAR the best thing I could have done. Otherwise I would have gave up long ago.

Good luck!

This is all GREAT advice. The thing to remember, is that you are making a 'lifestyle change.' These changes shouldn't just occur for x-amount of months and then you go back to the crap you were doing before. You need to incorporate these changes into your life so that you will continue to exercise, etc as part of your everyday activities.

By the Way, the MOTIVATION factor is probably the most important. Like Geek said, find a fitness partner or personal trainer. Most people aren't motivated to exerise on their own.

• 4 weeks later...

You cannot target fat lose with a specific exercise.

ex: Crunches will not cut fat from your belly. Any target specific exercise will cut fat from all over the body. But from my understanding, once you hit a certain point, it will eventually start to cut fat from a specific place. But I'm thinking in order for this to work, you have to have a relatively low BF %.

(edited)
you can not target lose fat.

Answer

Contrary to popular belief, doing specific exercises do not target the fat around a specific area.

There is absolutely no way to target specific areas of fat. Period.

For best results, you must do aerobic activity, weight training and proper diet to lose fat. Your body burns the fat as a whole, not from specific areas.

Agreed. And the best way to burn fat is to build muscle. Muscle needs more energy just sitting around then... well... less muscle.

I'll also add that at some point preference comes in. I am of the belief that circuit training is better than anything on the table. Then, you have to start learning what you can eat.

One of the best books to explain the food area is "The ABS Diet." I highly recommend reading the book. Then start looking into circuit training.

For the record, I have some idea of what I am talking about. :)

Edited by duma