Help: Headset needed!

ZesteR

Hey guys,

I need a headset for gaming, but not 5.1 surround sound or usb, cuz the vista machine doesnt like it.

I want a nice pair, mic optional since the laptop has one built-in.

I honestly dont know a price range but under 70 would be nice, unless the extra $ would be worth it.

Have these at work for listening to music and blocking out noise. Just awesome.

Sennheiser HD-280

Maybe it's just me but I got a real chuckle out of the "Amazon deal"

"Buy this item with Sennheiser HD-595 Premier Headphone by Sennheiser today!"

Yes I came looking for a headset, actually, great idea, I'll buy two sets.

Yea, i just watched the video, i like the retractable mic, cuz my trittion ones always is in the way or falls down.

I enjoy the extendor cable for extra length, great to be able to get up to stretch or grab something out of the reach.

With google, being only $58, that's not bad at all.

These are what I use...you can find them cheaper I believe.

http://www.buy.com/prod/steelsound-5h-v2-h.../203026103.html

These that I posted are Steelsound 5h v/2 with a video review. I love em. Great sound. They are over the ear fit, so it keeps outside noise out a bit better.

over the ear yes but i find they don't block out much noise. that's ok i like that feature so i can hear other ppl talking to me. i play in a quiet environment so background noise isn't really an issue.

i don't know of any problem with vista relating to usb headsets. the problems are typically with vista and the sub par sound boards built into those usb headsets. you have the headphone and mic jack. why use one of the valuable usb ports and let two perfectly good ports go to waste.

- USB soundcard with virtual 7.1 surround

virtual is another word for cpu hog. if they said hardware 7.1 surround then tempting it would be. that said, i really don't understand what anybody needs 7.1 surround for. i've yet to see a movie with support for it let alone a game. 5.1 sounds mighty fine to me.

wow, i was just reading through the description and found this:

"so users can enjoy music on the road without having to bring carrying unneccesary gear"

without having to bring carrying... if i didn't really like my new steelsound headphones i'd be ripping this company apart right now.

Trust me, you don't want software surround...it not only sounds bad most of the time (comparatively) but as cujo said its a cpu hog...

7.1 sounds much better than 5.1 even with the extra two speakers being emulated by the receiver, but it's really just because of better sound reinforcement, just like 11.2 sounds ridiculous, but nothing about the signal actually sounds better, there's just more speakers (personally whenever I go to someone's house with only 5 speakers and a sub it really feels empty to me unless the system is turned up really loud)*

My logitech USB headset has a fairly decent card crammed into it...its actually much better than the old soundblaster audigy I used to have (better frequency response, latencies and recording bit-depth, albeit they were about 5 years between each other) not that I would recommend them for music production (at all) but I can't see any reason to discount them for gaming...unless they've replaced the sound cards with much crappier one's since I bought mine almost 2 years ago

*I'll mention that obviously some 5.1 systems are much better than most 7.1 systems and some 5.1 speakers will easily make up for the lost output, but if they're all the same speakers, the more the merrier!

unless the system is turned up really loud

maybe that's why i don't notice. my new kef 5.1 speakers are definitely leagues ahead and sound ridiculous when cranked. can't wait til the upstairs is finished cause it'll have the same speakers. when my parents go away i'll bring my sub up and do a 5.2 setup. of course i'll have to turn down all the picture frames and take the art off the walls... :D

unless the system is turned up really loud

maybe that's why i don't notice. my new kef 5.1 speakers are definitely leagues ahead and sound ridiculous when cranked. can't wait til the upstairs is finished cause it'll have the same speakers. when my parents go away i'll bring my sub up and do a 5.2 setup. of course i'll have to turn down all the picture frames and take the art off the walls... :D

The best way to describe the difference is with an example...like a plane landing, with the extra rear speakers the 360° sound effect is just that much more realistic...I find with 5.1 that its somewhat gappy compared to 7.1, but really unless you're used to 7.1 or have 7.1 and switch back and forth between the two you won't notice anything.

With a sub, 5.2 is really not going to do anything so I wouldn't bother (unless your sub is seriously underpowered for the room). If you want to maximize your subs just find the largest flat wall in the room and put the sub as close as possible to it (touching even) and ideally that wall will be furthest from where you will sitting. Remember sub frequencies are in the 20-150 hz area and those wavelengths can be as long as a train car and they have to complete at least one full wave to properly register to the listener, so sitting beside your sub with it cranked and wondering why your neighbors are tinkled when your sub is being (relative to you) quiet is commonplace.