Wikipedia

mookie

Anyone else starting to get annoyed with Wikipedia? I was a little disappointed a while back to find that some editor had deleted articles a while back listing the stock maps from CS and CS:S. I got a little mad a while later when I found out that there's a list of all the Pokémon on there including a brief bio for each one. Now today as I'm listening to the radio I did a search for "magic underwear" and found that there's apparently an entire article including plot summary, production notes, esoteric information, and plot continuity information for every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Ludicrous.

The only thing I hate about Wikipedia is the terrible search engine it uses. Unless you type out something perfectly in the manner to which Wiki recognizes it, the search will generally come up with no alternative results.

Edited by YoMamma

I use Wikipedia all the time...but I don't ever bother to contribute because it's just like everything else that's "big" on the internet: it's a clique that is controlled by a relatively small group of people who feel that they are far more important to the world than they actually are. Have you ever listened to one of Digg's "top editors/submitters" talk? They are so full of themselves and with digg that it's sickening.

I use Wikipedia all the time...but I don't ever bother to contribute because it's just like everything else that's "big" on the internet: it's a clique that is controlled by a relatively small group of people who feel that they are far more important to the world than they actually are. Have you ever listened to one of Digg's "top editors/submitters" talk? They are so full of themselves and with digg that it's sickening.

I use it all the time too...I have to say that it's a million times better than it was a couple years ago, but I don't think that's saying much.

You pretty much listed the reason why I don't use digg

The only thing I hate about Wikipedia is the terrible search engine it uses. Unless you type out something perfectly in the manner to which Wiki recognizes it, the search will generally come up with no alternative results.

I typed in Call of Duty 4 maps and I got... with 88% relevancy ... The Invasion of Canada in 1775

I typed in Call of Duty 4 maps and I got... with 88% relevancy ... The Invasion of Canada in 1775

Ah yes... the good old days. When Canada almost seemed like a good thing to own...

Shaftiel

Ah yes... the good old days. When Canada almost seemed like a good thing to own...

Shaftiel

QFT :P

Shaftiel

QFT :P

Too bad you wouldn't have been able to anyway, considering . . . well, we won't get into that. :P

I found when actually LEARNING things on Wikipedia, then taking that knowledge out has always proven correct. Though, I have noticed things disappear from stories I know well about, usually, like you say, by stupid people employed by companies trying to protect their image over controversial issues. I use Wikipedia primarily for three things, though, which it never fails me: 1. Spoiling stories of games I don't want to play, 2. Scientific research 3. Dictionary

After reading a news item, for example though, on Wikipedia, I usually always go out and do my own research before even coming up with an opinion. I find its fairly accurate on everything else.