sequence

dragonfly

Just got out of a test for Assembly Language. First one to give me the next 3 numbers of the sequence gets a cookie... let's make it 3 cookies.

13, 22, 36, 59, ___, _____, _______ ...

Note: 96 is not the next number...

Hint: next number is 90

Edited by DarkArchon

(edited)

:) My prof gave this to us, worth 12/40 of our marks...

I dont think anyone got it. He showed up late for the test too, so we started late, had an hour, and a tonne more to the test to do. Unfortunately he's the dean of computer science, so we cant do anything about it.

Shaftiel, that guess warrants you a half of a cookie. You did more than me: I left it blank after trying for 1/2 hour. :)

Oh, hint#2, I think the rest of the numbers except 1,2 and 4 should all be divisible by 3.

Edited by DarkArchon

only connection I can see is that the first 4 numbers are either prime, or prime numbers +-1

my guess would be

13 22 36 59 90 132 191

13 prime, skip next two primes

22 +1 prime (23), skip next two primes

36 +1 prime (37) skip next 4 primes

59 prime, skip next 6 primes

90 -1 prime (89), skip next 8 primes

132-1 prime (131), skip next 10 primes

191 prime

Not it, but the best I can guess right now...

is this a purely mathematical construct or is there some course relevance to it?

(edited)

It's assembly language for intel cpus. Don't ask me how this is relevant. I mean, he came and taught on thursday's class with a burgundy long-sleeve turtleneck, small jeans and those leather(fake) winter boots with zippers on the inside of the ankle. Pretty sure they're made for women.

I think you're right Flitter, but I'm way to bitter now to try it and see if it's right! Flitter gets 2 1/2 cookies. Shaftiel ate half of the first one. And I'll buy 2 more for farmer cause your method does work still, at least on some level.

On a little bit more thought, I think he wanted us to fail. When you program with AL in, say, VS2005, 22 is decimal by default. You need to state 22h for hex, which he did not. Ugh.

Edited by DarkArchon

Each number is one more than the sum of the two before it. He probably imagined he gave you a great hint by drawing your attention to this fact by telling you that 96 was not the next number. Of course he had to add that to the question because 59 was not yet large enough to carry out of the first digit. Without the hint that the next number is 90, this could really be in any base larger than nine.

Really this is as bad as a pun.