car care

auggybendoggy

Guys,

I now have two newer (used) cars

2004 pontiac vibe (in excellent condition)

2005 scion XA (in excellen condition).

I used to wash my cars with Dawn dishwater soap and my friends told me dish soap will ruin the painjob.

I never really waxed my cars and I think their right. After only about 3 years they began to oxidize.

After 5 years they WERE TERRIBLE.

These same freinds use car soap with carnuba wax in the soap and their paint jobs are pretty good.

So I'm looking for some advice on how to car for our cars.

I would like to know if a cordless polisher is necessary or a waste of time?

I purashed some online polishes and wax, interior car products. I don't like son of a gun because it leaves a

residue and turns the plastics white or ashy.

I'll probably try to polish by hand but is it better to buy the cordless orbital?

also what about the plastic lenses. The Pontiacs are just starting to cloud up just a bit.

I read up on this and they recommend getting a plexipolish and using a polishing ball

on a drill and doing this to keep the plastic crystal.

I'd be afarid of scratching the plastic lens or something like that?

Anyone have advice for me.

By the way, I bought the scion XA because all the autos with power windows, mp3, and air blue booked for about 11-12K

I saw it online on yahoo at hunington beach mitsubishi for 8900. I drove out there and it was in PERFECT condition.

even with 63000 it BBK'd for just over 12 with full features (no sun roof). I talkem into 8500 and got the car for

payments of 150.00 for 5 years.

Aug

Since you washed alot with dawn you took off the shine and you probably have NO more wax on your car. You need to get this fix asap. If you don't want to buy all these products and "do it yourself" go to a detailer and pay them 150 bucks to do it for you.

Here are a couple of links. I would recommend using Mothers.

Make sure and read the Zaino walkthrough on making your car shine. They have great products too..but I am fond of Mothers.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...ode=APPLICATION (this link tells you the walkthrough)

http://www.motortrend.com/features/car_car...nish_with_clay/ (this product is my favorite...but wow it takes some time)

http://www.mothers.com/

Yes, Shazzz is correct, you can't go wrong with Mother's...that's all I use, and I have tried many things.

As far as dishsoap goes, very bad idea, it has very harsh detergents in it, just go to your local auto parts store, or even Walmart and buy some car wash soap, 1 good sized jug will last you nearly an eternity, lol.

A good carnuba wax a couple times a year is a great thing, but don't over wax, thats just as bad, I see alot of people in my neighborhood waxing every weekend or so, all that does is create a lot of build up on the paint, unless you used a good cleaner/wax remover everytime, but that is a HUGE waste of time. Watching the water on your car when you wash it will tell you when you need to wax again. I have used the polishers before but found them to be fairly useless, your hands do a much better job. And only use microfiber cloths, they are cheap and washable, anything else can leave fine scratches.

The idea you have for the lenses should work fine, the thing to remember is to keep moving, dont let the lens get hot or it will mess it up, I do this with a machine buffer which is overkill, but I am careful and experienced with it, and its what I have.

Just do some reading, the links Shazzz posted will help you too. Take your time and you will be looking good for years to come :D

If mothers doesn't work, try meguiars. These always worked for me. It left a better shine than the many other "restore your shine" waxes I've used.

A cordless buffer would be nice to use, but if you get one with a too high rpm you can (and probably will) burn your paint. I always use my elbow grease. You better appreciate your work when your done.

Then once a year I use a buffer with some buffing wax. Using a high rpm buffer WILL move around your clear coat. That means that you shouldn't do it often. And when you do it, you ALWAYS have to have a coat of wax on it or the sun will ruin your paint job.

You know that you have a high rpm buffer when you see paint on your pad after you're done. Which is a good thing if you're actually trying to get out scratches or paint swaps.

For the interior I use ArmorAll. Doesn't work to well, but I don't know what else to use.

For the carpets and floor mats I use laundry soap. You wouldn't believe how it takes out the dirt and other crap. Just scrub and vacuum.

For the exterior, use Zaino or Maguiar's products. No question about it... those two are the best.

For interior, I'd *highly* recommend 303 Aerospace protectant. It's expensive, but it'll make your dash look brand new without being too shiny.

For a finishing touch, consider using a claybar system before polishing. It removes all of the particles that prevent your car from shining like it should. For me, I drive past a railroad each day. The metal shavings in the air would burn into the clearcoat and start to rust, leaving orange circles that couldn't be buffed out. The claybar took them out in seconds, which was amazing.

For the exterior, use Zaino or Maguiar's products. No question about it... those two are the best.

For interior, I'd *highly* recommend 303 Aerospace protectant. It's expensive, but it'll make your dash look brand new without being too shiny.

For a finishing touch, consider using a claybar system before polishing. It removes all of the particles that prevent your car from shining like it should. For me, I drive past a railroad each day. The metal shavings in the air would burn into the clearcoat and start to rust, leaving orange circles that couldn't be buffed out. The claybar took them out in seconds, which was amazing.

Ironic...car cleaning advise from someone named Unclean :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...