Digital Camera

Demoner

(edited)

I'm finally looking at getting a digital camera, but I don't know what all the termnology is like the difference between digital and opitical zoom. Whats the more important zoom and what does that gain you? Along with megapixal ratings whats really the difference as you go higher how much more do you gain between say a 6 and an 8? I just really could use some advice. Mainly I plan on using this camera for when I study abroad next semester and just to take pictures of cool stuff I see. My price range is between 200-250 with a card for storage. Oh and I would perfer a thin camera so I could put in my pocket.

Edited by Demoner

So u want the higher optical zoom with the most MP you can afford. You should be able to find a 8MP with a good 10x optical for around that price. I am sure if we wait long enough preacher will come in here and give you like three links ;)

Optical is just that it is truely the lens

Dig is basic like you using a software program to zoom in on the image.

But still go with the 8 MP, I think I saw a nice package deal from Costco the other day. It is great to get these types of things from them because say you get back from your trip and did not really care for it. Take it back, no questions (just save your reciept)

(edited)

Portability is a must when it comes to buying a "practical" camera. It's no use when a camera can take beautiful pictures, but can't fit in a pocket.

I had many portable digital cameras and by far the Canon Power Shot have the most bang for the buck. Someone mentioned here... don't rely on digital zoom (as a matter of fact, I turn this feature off) and only use optical. LCD size matters also too... at least 2.5 (3" is better). You'll appreciate the large LCD screen when you're taking pictures to make sure you took a good picture of your subject.

I highly recommend this model.

Canon SD750

This is an awesome all around camera. Don't expect to take pictures of graduations or shows, it's not for that. It's a great camera for point and shoot. It used to cost $300 when it came out and I think you can get it for around $150 now.

Another thing to remember is that most cameras have slow flash charging time (about 7~10 sec. between shots), but this model does a good job in charging fast.

Most cameras are made in China now a days, but this Canon is one of the few that are made in Japan and has excellent build quality. Most Canons are made in Japan except their lower-end models.

I just wrote real quick as you can tell... If you have any questions, "shoot" me a message.

btw... You'll realize that even though you have a 6mp+ camera, you'll never use the full mega pixel(or lower the resolution after a while) because the pictures are too big for practical use. I have never printed a picture larger than 8x11 and not too many people can. Besides those pictures that take high mega pixel pictures should be taken with a high-end SLR camera with high quality lens where every little detail counts. I can't remember the exact resolution, but with a 5mp camera you should be able to print 8x11 and more in it's native resolution.

Just my 2cents.

Edited by shoot

Demoner,

I use cameras for my wed video co. and I my advice is to go with Canon. I like Nikon and all but Canon controls are easy to use.

the Controls make a MASSIVE difference on whehter you capture the image right or not.

My advice is the IS series either 2,3 or 5.

Once you learn to use the TV or AP settings you'll never look back

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16830120207

Also note that the other mfg's DO NOT COMPARE with the video modes on the Canon cameras. If you like I can post up some videos for you.

Remember that all videos on all point and shoots are timed to like 2-3 min max.

heres a review link; also you can compare other cameras here.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

let me know if you want to see some video

Aug

Edited by auggybendoggy

clearly bub is busy with his flower garden, or something.

he linked me to this, and i'm sure it's a pretty credible source. give it a run, and gl!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Try fitting that in your pocket. :lol2:

most modern web browsers have scroll bars (those things on the right).

so concludes your free tip of the day.

Scroll bar? Where? When did they do the update for that? :wavey:

I did see the other cameras... it was a JOKE man. I wouldn't make fun of you sj. :smiling2:

I was just trying to make a point about cameras that take awesome pictures that can't be carried anywhere. Spend $1,500+ and never leaves the closet.

That's all.

One another question I have how quickly you can take action pictures. That's one thing I've noticed about some people's cameras and how long of delay they have before a picture can be taken. I'm just thinking I may want something that isn't terribly slow in turn ruining those action shots.

clearly bub is busy with his flower garden, or something.

he linked me to this, and i'm sure it's a pretty credible source. give it a run, and gl!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Try fitting that in your pocket. :lol2:

most modern web browsers have scroll bars (those things on the right).

so concludes your free tip of the day.

Scroll bar? Where? When did they do the update for that? :wavey:

I did see the other cameras... it was a JOKE man. I wouldn't make fun of you sj. :smiling2:

I was just trying to make a point about cameras that take awesome pictures that can't be carried anywhere. Spend $1,500+ and never leaves the closet.

That's all.

YOU WERE WRONG.

thanks.

bye.

:D

wife got me the cannon SD870 IS for Christmas and love the thing. coming from Kodak family for years, so amazed at all the features. Not a photo guy by any means, would know a f stop from a g spot but i take good pics with this thing.

my .02

For a point-and-shoot (p&s) camera, you can't go wrong with one of the Canon IS cameras linked above.

Demoner - p&s cameras aren't exactly the best for sports/action photography. They're more for candid shots at the bar or a kid's birthday party... maybe the occasional landscape shot. But if you want low-light shots without a flash, action shots, or creative flexibility (zoom, exposure times, white balance, etc), you really need an SLR camera. Those are also a lot of money ($600+), and somewhat bulky. So there's the tradeoff there. :)