Anyone wanna explain the newest LCDs to me?

Laz.e.rus

d-sub, dvi, hdmi

vista compatible ( or not??)

5ms, but 2ms graytogray

I went to newegg to get an idea on monitor prices...bad idea. Made it even worse.

So, Im looking at say, 24" ws, 19xx-12xx res. ok....

Then I notice that on monitors that "seem" very similar (ie contrast, speed,res etc) the prices can vary as much as $200 between two of them! What the? Why?

Why are some "vista ready"? Scam?

whats the diff between d-sub, dvi, dsub-dvi, and hdmi ( other than what the cable looks like :P ). And more importantly, why do I care?!

They all ( in this range) seem to be 5ms, some also listing 2ms gtg. Doesnt seem to be much variance there among any of them.

Contrasts range 700:1 to 1000:1. OK- that makes a diff. But not $200 worth!

Can anyone make sense of this to me? Why wouldnt I just buy the cheapest they have if they are all so similar?

Also brand has a lot to do with it, for instance anything HP or Dell is much higher than lest say Chi Mei or Acer. I have a 22" Acer and will swear by it. My last monitor was a 22" Chi Mei and when I was really broke I sold it. I actually liked it much better (brighter) but the diff in gaming is minuscule. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824009113

dsub is standard blue vga.

dvi is standard white digital.

hdmi is dvi with audio.

article below on response time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lcd_Response_Time#LCD_monitors

vista ready means hdcp(high definition content protection) support which is mandatory for any legit hd content.

if you're in the market for a 24inch then the dell 2408wfp is the one to get.

looks like, at least here in canada, it's $130 off right now which is a really good deal.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/M...mp;sku=320-6272

if i had to replace my 2405fpw then it's the one i'd get without hesitation.

(edited)

most new monitors have dsub and dvi and some only have dvi only. HDMI is slowly appearing in more and more monitors.

There's a big gap in price between 22" and the 24"... For the identical model, $150~$200 more for the 24". Is 24" too big, though?

Is the 24" too big when it's on your computer desk? I quit playing games on my HDTV because I had to turn my head side to side to look from one edge to the other during game play. I'm wondering if it's the same for the 24" on a desk. I'm sure with the proper distance, the edges of the screen will come into view, but if it's too far you lose details of the picture. Any comments on this?

btw I currently have a standard aspect ratio NEC 19" LCD(this was huge 4 years ago) :laughcry:

Edited by shoot

That's a good question... what size is "too big" for a computer monitor? I have a 22" widescreen ViewSonic at work, and a 19" at home.

Would a 24" make it seem like you're using more of your peripheral vision?

(edited)

unclean, i'd still go with the dell. maybe drop to the 2208 model though i haven't even checked the specs. in my experience, you never know when the extra connectors will come in handy. i've now got my hd satellite box hooked in to the component.

shoot, i sit about a foot and a half from my monitor. did it seem to you i was having any trouble with it last night?? :D seriously though, i have really good peripheral vision so i probably don't notice it being as big. for sure i wouldn't go any bigger.

edit - unclean, just saw your last response. you definitely need to use peripheral vision in most games.

Edited by Cujo

That's a good question... what size is "too big" for a computer monitor? I have a 22" widescreen ViewSonic at work, and a 19" at home.

Would a 24" make it seem like you're using more of your peripheral vision?

How is the 22"? and how far are you sitting from it.

From a regular 19" to a 22" widescreen, I don't think there's much difference in size, other than the width, correct?

I'm wondering if 24" is too big.

...shoot, i sit about a foot and a half from my monitor. did it seem to you i was having any trouble with it last night?? :D ...

edit - unclean, just saw your last response. you definitely need to use peripheral vision in most games.

Low blow, low blow! It was your birthday, so I'll leave it alone. I'll see you tonight... :angry:

Please go easy on me. :hug:

hahaha, i'll try.

the reason i have a 24 is because i watch movies and tv on it as well.

i'd probably go 22inch if i was to buy again but there is such a leap in quality when you go up to a 24inch that it's hard to ignore. it's not only the size difference, at least as far as dell monitors are concerned.

the nice thing about 22inch is that you need a lot less hardware power to run native res in games.

How is the 22"? and how far are you sitting from it.

From a regular 19" to a 22" widescreen, I don't think there's much difference in size, other than the width, correct?

I'm wondering if 24" is too big.

The 22" is nice, but mainly so I can compare documents, use dockable windows in photoshop/programming IDE's, etc. And I sit about 2' or so away from the monitor. I'm always looking all over the screen though, but never get any eye strain from it. It's the ViewSonic VG2230wm, btw.

I'm afraid that I'll be turning my head left to right, top to bottom looking for Cujo... then get shot by Shaftiel because my head was turned the other way.

The game is confusing enough "looking & turning" with the mouse and add the element of physically turning my head will really mess me up. I'm bad to start wih... Don't need to be turning my head to look for Cujo and my other blacklisted friends. :D

So 22" is the recommended size?

vista ready means hdcp(high definition content protection) support which is mandatory for any legit hd content.

Any legit....ie: If I rented a blu-ray and wanted to watch it on my PC, I COULDNT do it without a Vista-ready/HDCP monitor?

Thats good to know!!

Any legit....ie: If I rented a blu-ray and wanted to watch it on my PC, I COULDNT do it without a Vista-ready/HDCP monitor?

Thats good to know!!

that is if you ever get a bluray player... or ever rent a bluray... :D

Thats good to know!!

that is if you ever get a bluray player... or ever rent a bluray... :D

Been discussing it with the wife. She Totally supports my hobby/geekdom/definition-of-self.

Meaning......This fall Im building another super beast. :)

YOU know what that means Cujo, and how far I fell into it before...When Laz puts his mind to it, laws of physics and nature WILL bend to satisfy the need for wayyyyy too much PC power. heheheh

So, what I meant to say is...

yeah, Ill prolly get one of those too ...

(then Ill spend a month trying to figure out how to squeeze the maximum response time from the lowest cost player ....you know the drill...its a sad and scary thing.)