Leaving for England

Shropshire Slasher

'Mo is right...

However after doing international travel for the last few years I have found that Scotch topped off with diphenhydramine have been my best friends on long flights. Actually I knew it was time to sleep when they cut me off from the scotch. This is what worked for me..

UPDATE #1

Woke up 6AM Eastern time on Friday. Boarded a flight Friday evening for London. Slept 2 hrs on board. Spent the day in London. Went to bed 11pm london time on saturday. Survived teh jet lag pretty well the first day... it was yesterday (sunday) that I paid.

London was amazing. I was a little distracted by my cousin's flatmate however (HAWT!). I'm banking on the fact that neither of them will ever read this. ;)

Hopped a train out to Exmouth on Sunday morning. The town is on the south coast of england, in the western half of England. About 3.5 hours train ride from London.

It's a seaside resort town, which is apparently popular with the locals all over this part of the country. The weather here has been amazing, particlualry by England standards. The local rail from Exeter to Exmouth was packed with locals heading to the beach. It was cool actually to observe how the locals relax.

Today, I've been walking the coastline. I'm off in a minute to see something called the "jurasic coast". Some red cliffs overlooking the channel.

I'll post up some thoughts later... but I want to get my walk in, and the pubs are calling. :)

TBC...

Update #2

Tuesday I took the train to Bath. Very cool. Saw the Abbey and the hot springs, as well as the Circus and Royal Crescent. Everything was spectacular.

Had lunch at a little Bistro. French style. I had a t-bone steak with a fried egg and a bit of brie and chips. I know it sounds like heart attack on a plate... but it surprisingly wasn't. Just... delicious.

Bath is kinda what you envision Europe being like. Lots of busy streets, People out walking. Cafes and pubs tucked into 300 year old buildings. Spent a great day there.

Wednesday (today) I just lounged at the Hotel. Sat by the pool, walked town and bought some souveniers for the kids. I got them soccer jerseys. They play the local AYSO, so I thought they'd get a kick out of the official uni's. My son and youngest daughter got Manchester UTD. Not for any particular reason, other than sizes that fit and I figured my son would like the black jersey. My middle daughter got a white jersy with purple. I think it has MCF on the logo, or some permutation on that. Dunno what team that even is... just liked the colors for her. :)

I also loaded up on some English snackies to take back. Thought they'd enjoy that.

Tonight I'm gonna go hit a pub or two... Tomorrow hopefully stonehenge/salisbury

Random Thoughts:

Food:

Ladies and gentlemen, as a fast food nation you'd think we would know the french fry. What happened? We've lost the art. Chips here are consistently amazing. They've even apparently capitulated and started accepting ketchup as a fry condiment (something I WILL stand behind as an American contribution to the food world ;) ).

Finally had black pudding today on my English breakfast. Not as disgusting as you might suspect. But, I think I'd have to live here a bit to develop a taste for it.

Sausages here are a bit different. Smoother texture than our typical breakfast sausage. And bacon is a different cut.

French food has definitely infiltrated England. Bread here seems to be heavily influenced by the french. Well, let me clarify. At breakfast your toast is very English. But after that, french pastry and bread is very prevelant. That is a good thing. The French know bread.

Culture:

Not as much culture shock as I expected. People watching in restaurants and pubs this week. American culture, particularly with teens/early twenties is very prevalent. Music/dress/personality is very much like what I encounter where I teach.

There is certainly beer to be had everywhere. And yet I find I don't drink as much when I go out. I'm more likely to be out walking and see a neat looking pub and pop in for a pint then continue on may way. I observe this with the locals as well.

As for walking... you walk EVERYWHERE. And I love it. There are lots of cars around, but many people are commuting by train (something I'm very envious of) and then walking. America is definitely built around the idea of the car (no shock there). I mean, I live 5 miles outside of town, and go to work 12 miles away. With no trains, we drive. Nevertheless, I've been walking 10-20 miles a day sight seeing or just to go the store. Feels great after being stuck inside all winter.

Finally, let me debunk one myth: England has some BEAUTIFUL women. Whoever started the rumor that british woman were otherwise (think of all the bad dental work jokes) was greatly mistaken. My only complaint on that front is that this town is lousy with boyfriends. They litter England the way other places have pidgeons or rats. Ah well.

Enough for now. I'll post up some more later.

Keep the US warm for me until I get back.

SS

Glad to hear you're having a blast!

I've always said that I find UK culture to be more similar to US culture than any other two nations (especially Canada and US), the only difference I notice is the accent and quality pints.

I'll be there in exactly one week...wanna extend you vaca?

I've always said that I find UK culture to be more similar to US culture than any other two nations (especially Canada and US), the only difference I notice is the accent and quality pints.

You have no idea how much I would love to extend. My visit. :freak3:

If I didn't have kid obligations I would. He'll, I'd move here if being without my kids wouldn't kill me!

Next year let's sync up. England will regret losing the colonies. :)

You have no idea how much I would love to extend. My visit. :freak3:

If I didn't have kid obligations I would. He'll, I'd move here if being without my kids wouldn't kill me!

Next year let's sync up. England will regret losing the colonies. :)

Yeah, doubt I'll make it out there next year, one of the primary reasons for this trip is to see my grandparents for possibly the last time, they're both in their late 90's :(

Wait, on second thought, yeah, I might be out there again in the near future :boo:

(edited)

Update #3

Took the train yesterday to Salisbury. From there, are tourbus up to Stonehenge and past Old Sarum and back. Then saw the Cathedral in Salisbury, as well as St. Thomas's church. Walked the city and took pics. The city dates to the 1200's, so very cool.

Stonehenge was awesome, and absolutey a must. Very glad I went. BUT. <- notice the all caps. It is seriously a a 15 minute thing. OK, 20 if you walk slowly. Basically, you walk a big circuit around it and marvel at the whole thing. Stunning. But then you get to the end of teh walk and realize, well, that was it. They bloody well aren't going to do anything more. (like the british way I wrote that? :) ) And for the £17.50 (that's $35.00 to you and me) for the bus trip (stonehenge is 8 miles out of salisbury), that works out to like $140.00 an hour for the viewing. Oh well.

Actually, comparing Bath and Salisbury, I'd say Salisbury was far more touristy. More busses full of sighseers (like me), tour groups, fast food restaurants (tucked into 400 year old buildings, sadly). overall, I'd say I enjoyed Bath more.

Don't get me wrong... Stonehenge was beautiful, and mindboggling in its engineering (recall that these 50ton stonse were erected several thousand years BEFORE the romans even showed up. But, man, you pay for the privilege.

On the way home I stopped in Exeter. Another cool town for sightseeing. Yet another cathedral. The cathedral close is surrounded by hotels, restaurants and pubs. So, I sat in a pub having a pint of 6X looking out a picture window at a ginormous cathedral dating to 1400 and earlier. This was my view: http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/concerts/ven...xetercathedral/ Whee.

Then I ate dinner next door at this guy's restaurant: http://www.michaelcaines.com/ It was one of those totally swanky places where everyone has a stick up there arse (see how I'm learning the language!). I swear one of the little server types actually unfolded my napkin and put it in my lap for me. My waiter was so attentive that I'm pretty sure several states have recently passed constitutional amendments preventing me from putting him on my health insurance. But, the FOOD. Yes, all caps. To be clear, I cook. Love it. My primary passion in life. And this food. I won't bore you with the details, but it was beyond outstanding. Totally made it worth while to feel completely awkward and out of place eating in this restaurant.

Prolly going to check out of the condo today, and move on to canturbury where my cousin lives. Gonna crash there for a day or two and check out that area. Plus, if you've been keeping up with this little blog, there are other reasons to go back. "sightseeing". :)

Cheers,

Edited by Shropshire Slasher