my truck stolen

Brew

...and my golf clubs were in there too... so my renter insurance is going to cover the clubs and the wire... i had liabilty on the truck so thats a loss... anyways, last fall i turned in 80 pounds of number 2 type copper and 9 pounds of number 1 type copper for a total of $108.20... not bad right... i looked on the scrap yard's website to see how much copper was to get a estimate for the insurance company and i almost fell out of my chair! the price has almost doubled! i had about 75 pounds of number 2 type copper in my truck. that turns out to be $221.25! thank you china!

copper prices for Minneapolis, MN

(edited)

my clubs were worth more than the truck so thats why. also, im trying to stay on the bright side... :(

i guess i should add that my truck was parked in a "secure" underground garage so that why i had all that stuff in there...

Edited by Brew

Seems there are a lot more burglaries since the price of gas has skyrocketed.

People have been getting the wiring ripped right out of the walls of their house! Last week some people in the town where I work got busted for cutting down power lines for the metal, yes live power lines.

That sucks brew...I guess that's why most people pump some voltage through their copper...seems every week there's another story of someone frying themselves on a transformer or switch station while trying to steal copper...it's like a drive through Darwin award clinic.

One of the cities I work for just had $20,000 worth the copper stolen from the inside of their sub. It wasn't energized, it was new build. The price of copper is getting ridiculous. Sorry to hear about your golf clubs.

Sorry to hear that Brew. Funny thing some of you mention copper being stolen off of powerline poles. At work this is one issue that is being addressed as how to prevent thieves from taking the copper off the poles. One of the options is to replace copper with copperweld making when those suckers steal the "copper wire" next time they will get nothing for it in return because its copperweld and scrape value is nothing. Often the trend of ways people steal the copper is pretty simple off the poles too. They just pull up their pickup cut the copper as high as they can reach wrap it around their hitch and their able to quickly remove all the copper without too much trouble. Crazy how some people don't realize what they are doing when they do such acts as this.

I would think stealing cars would be on the decline. Who wants to steal a hummer only to have to pay $150 bucks to fill it up?

Thats my new anti-theft device. Leave the gas tank empty.

if it was a secure garage then there would be cameras?

sucks to hear about your truck I knew someone who had their radio repeatedly stolen out of their car so they put razor blades all through the inside by the radio---pile of blood and no stolen radio and never messed with again!

also a friend of mine got his car stolen in chicago 7 years ago now just rents a car once every 2-4 months to see family. saves a lot of money! uses a bicycle and the mass transit to get around

I have also heard that junkyards have less car parts. The parts are worth more as just scrap metal?

I also read that the government is proposing/going to make the pennies out of steel because of the cost of copper?

Barely any copper in them now..

The alloy remained 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc until 1982, when the composition was changed to 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper (copper-plated zinc). Cents of both compositions appeared in that year.

And with inflation as it is, they should just get rid of them. Round everything to the nearest 5 cents...

yea, no cameras but you need a key to the building to get in. the building is off the beaten path and is in a good neighborhood so likely someone living in the building knew it was happening.

sorry to hear about your truck!

Speaking of scrap metal though,

a few months back someone stole some shipping fixtures from my company that are made from aluminum, talking with my boss and friends i heard that each one was worth approx...$6,000 CDN dollars...........they stole 7 of them.

^ No way they got even remotely that amount in scrap metal.

I work in the aerospace industry and those shipping fixtures are pure aluminum and they're not small. I know how much the stuff I work with goes for on the market....even the cheapest device we manufacture in my company still goes for thousands of dollars.

Ivan

I wouldn't doubt it. I'm just saying that it's such a huge waste to salvage raw materials from something that's more valuable in its present form.

It'd be like salvaging the canvas from a Picasso painting.

I wouldn't doubt it. I'm just saying that it's such a huge waste to salvage raw materials from something that's more valuable in its present form.

It'd be like salvaging the canvas from a Picasso painting.

true it's valueable to the company in it's present form.....not to the thief.