PS3 vs BluRay player

[LaW]Maverick

So after doing some price-checking, the full-featured BluRay player is MORE expensive than the PS3....

Now, I'm not a huge fan of Sony in recent years (used to love 'em), but I think I'll end up buying a PS3 for a BluRay player since it's cheaper somehow. None of you guys are looking to get rid of yours, are ya'? :)

In any case, I figured I'd ask the PS3 owners here what their movie watching experience has been like on them. Any freezing issues or anything? Drive wear? Can you re-activate reverse compatibility? :)

what are the features of the "full-featured" version you're looking at, and would you be losing any of them by going to the ps3?

(disclaimer: it's a rare occasion, but an honest question.)

The ONLY NEW player NewEgg sells, for example, is $499, whereas the PS3 is $399.
thanks -- i might have to sneak a ps3 into the house sometime soon.

now that we've got the anomaly out of the way, i can just sit back and wait for the chance to bring macs into this. :wiggle2:

I have a ps3, no issues with skipping or freezing on the blu ray player. Seems as good as your gonna get. I dont know how a regular blu ray player could look better than this.

I have a ps3, no issues with skipping or freezing on the blu ray player. Seems as good as your gonna get. I dont know how a regular blu ray player could look better than this.

I have both a pS3 and a BD player.

I kinda sometimes with I had bought a second PS3 for the price... :/

The PS3 doesn't fit into a HT as well, given it's non-standard shape. It's also louder, when the fans are revved up.

I actually like the PS3 interface better, and the OS features.

The BD player is just a DVD player that can play BD disks...

The PS3 also gives you media server capabilities, if you desire it.

SS

I've never had that noise problem at all, mine's worked flawlessly. I'd definitely go with the PS3. Works just as well, extra functionality and a lower price - it should be a no brainer. Not to mention upcoming release of the greatest game (movie?) ever.

I've never had that noise problem at all, mine's worked flawlessly. I'd definitely go with the PS3. Works just as well, extra functionality and a lower price - it should be a no brainer. Not to mention upcoming release of the greatest game (movie?) ever.

What MGS4?

What MGS4?

Metal Gear Solid 4. Due out like next month I think. Apparently it's already gone gold.

What MGS4?

Metal Gear Solid 4. Due out like next month I think. Apparently it's already gone gold.

A game going "gold" means that the master is complete and production of the physical media has started.

MGS4 comes out Thursday.

The PS3 is by far the best BR player for the money.

SJ, you're one sexy beast.