Not using XP anymore..

nut

Installed ubuntu 2 days ago.. thought about making a change.. i love it. I hear there is also a thing i can add that allows me to play games in ubuntu... soo i wont be missing xp very much

i love it so far

any of you guys on it?

nut

wait another question now... when i go to add another app in WINE... it dosent read my d or e drive which are music and GAMES. You know how i get it to read it so i can run source?

thanks

wait another question now... when i go to add another app in WINE... it dosent read my d or e drive which are music and GAMES. You know how i get it to read it so i can run source?

thanks

Your going to find that it isn't simple to play games in ubuntu. You still cannot play games well. Some work, some don't almost all get crappy FPS when using wine. If you go take a look at the screenshots thread, you can see I got source working in ubuntu, however FPS was pretty lame, but still playable. Im not sure if you can execute source off your NTFS drive using wine. When you setup wine it creates a virtual C drive on your linux partition. Well not virtual but its something like drive_c, then will have the windows directory hierarchy. You may have to reinstall steam by using wine and that will put the files where it expects.

Or duel boot the drive and use XP too so that you can enjoy both of the OS

+1

I haven't used Ubuntu myself, but from comments from other people, if you're a gamer, it's pretty hard to do away completely with windows. Even the mac guys here either have separate windows machines or use boot camp to run windows for gaming. I know ZD and several of the other linux guys do the same thing. What's the point in nerfing the performance of your computer for games just to say you're not using windows at all? If you've got the xp license, I say keep it simple(ish) and dual boot so you can use Ubuntu for most of your stuff, then XP for games.

p.s. - the spelling nazi strikes again!

Or duel boot the drive and use XP too so that you can enjoy both of the OS

+1

I haven't used Ubuntu myself, but from comments from other people, if you're a gamer, it's pretty hard to do away completely with windows. Even the mac guys here either have separate windows machines or use boot camp to run windows for gaming. I know ZD and several of the other linux guys do the same thing. What's the point in nerfing the performance of your computer for games just to say you're not using windows at all? If you've got the xp license, I say keep it simple(ish) and dual boot so you can use Ubuntu for most of your stuff, then XP for games.

p.s. - the spelling nazi strikes again!

I say use VMWare. Run linux under a virtual machine. THEN you can do both Windows and Linux at the same time and still have Windows native for gaming.