"Banned" Dead Space trailer

ZeroDamage

• 3 weeks later...
Game looks really good. Probably what Doom 3 should have been.

http://io9.com/5028038/the-dead-space-trai...cary-its-banned

I've heard mixed reports on the game, some say it may not be any longer (playtime) than 6 hours, we will have to wait and see.

portal wasnt anymore than 4 and was regarded as one of the best games ever made

LIES!! Q-Bert forever!!

Shaftiel

Game looks really good. Probably what Doom 3 should have been.

http://io9.com/5028038/the-dead-space-trai...cary-its-banned

I've heard mixed reports on the game, some say it may not be any longer (playtime) than 6 hours, we will have to wait and see.

portal wasnt anymore than 4 and was regarded as one of the best games ever made

LIES!! Q-Bert forever!!

Shaftiel

isn't it time for your bubble bath there, grandpa?

• 1 month later...

Updated preview of Dead Space has been posted on IGN.

This really looks like it's shaping up to be a very solid title! Anyone planning on picking this up? I'm sure that I want to play it at some point, but Fallout 3 and Gears of War 2 are coming out within a month of this, and those two get priority in my book. I may have to settle for a rental on this, depending on the replay value.

because it's awesome?

Seriously, I think it's a good thing because this isn't trying to be a FPS, it's more of a survival-horror thing, and the gameplay mechanics should reflect that. It's not all going to be shooting that three-pronged mining tool you see in all the screenshots - other types of mining devices as well as taking dismembered parts of monsters and beating them with said parts :) I also like being able to see what the creatures are doing TO me instead of just having them slash at the screen.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is you didn't like Resident Evil 4...

because it's awesome?

Seriously, I think it's a good thing because this isn't trying to be a FPS, it's more of a survival-horror thing, and the gameplay mechanics should reflect that. It's not all going to be shooting that three-pronged mining tool you see in all the screenshots - other types of mining devices as well as taking dismembered parts of monsters and beating them with said parts :) I also like being able to see what the creatures are doing TO me instead of just having them slash at the screen.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is you didn't like Resident Evil 4...

Ah, I see what you're saying. I just have a hard time ... harder time being engaged by the game when it's an 'outside' view. First person gets me into the game easilier :) so when I play games like FEAR, it feels like I'm right there.

Never played RE4. Sorry to disappoint! :D

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Read another couple of reviews on this, all of them highly scored.

Looks like average playtime is coming out to around 12 hours for first play through. The reviewers also indicate a solid replayability factor, primarily along the lines of wanting to max out upgrades and replaying game with all previous upgrades intact.

I was thinking about only renting this, but if it's going to worth replaying more than once then it would probably be worth a purchase. Couple that with the fact that I just received a $25 dollar gift card to Target, and this game because a "will purchase Wednesday" item.

*Also, I am officially shunning DA for not having ever played RE4. Not even PC ignorance should be a valid excuse for this.

Edited by boilersax

just picked up my copy during lunch, can't wait to get home to pop it in! :luxhello:

Every review I have read (which has been most of them it seems) is glowing about this one. Some even saying potential Game of the Year... whether it is or not, I expect I'll be happy I bought instead of rented :)

personal thoughts on this game coming soon.

*btw, Dark has officially been shunned AND shown the door. Good luck crawling out of that hole. :freak3:

Never played RE4. Sorry to disappoint! :D

<shows dark the exit>

You all suck!

It's nice and cozy in this hole. I think I'm gonna stay! Harumph.

It puts the lotion in the basket...

Anyways, here are some quickie hour-and-a-half-in thoughts on Dead Space:

1. Art direction and graphics are AMAZING. Detail just drips (sometimes literally) from everything. Great use of lighting.

2. The sound is probably one of the best of any game I have played. Atmospheric sounds, clanks, creaks, groans, screams, etc. keep you on edge CONSTANTLY. One large room I went into had the occasional sound of a tank being knocked over that had me turning around to check my back every time, even though nothing came of it. Surround sound should be an absolute requirement for playing this game.

3. The gameplay is very entertaining thus far. I haven't run into more than a couple types of enemy thus far, but things still get a little hairy when they throw three or more at you at once. The controls just feel right.

The sounds and lighting will definitely keep you on edge throughout. This game was made to be played on a large screen with surround sound cranked.

FYI, I am playing this on Xbox 360. If you pick it up and play it within the first two weeks, you can download a free upgraded suit to use on your first playthrough. Load up the game once but don't start a campaign yet. Go to live marketplace, find "dead space", then scroll down to the "elite suit" (I believe that's the name). It's free. Start a campaign, and when you find your first store, the suit will be there to "purchase" for free. It looks positively bad-donkey, and you have an expanded inventory to work with early on as well. You will have to play through pretty much all of the first chapter with your stock suit before you find a store, but you shouldn't have too much difficulty with that.

Bottom line: Buy this game.

You know...I haven't even considered buying this game, you think I should boiler?

If you're asking seriously, I guess it depends on your criteria for game purchasing. IF you're the kind of person who enjoyed playing RE4 more than once for the gameplay and atmosphere, then I would say you absolutely should buy it. I know you liked RE4, so you'll definitely enjoy this one. In my book, if the gameplay is strong and fun to play over and over, then I think it warrants a purchase. I played through RE4 many times, especially to unlock some of the awesome additional weapons and such then played through it again just blasting the hell out of everything. I think Dead Space has the same kind of replayability.

From a non-gamplay standpoint, this game is a significant achievement in several areas that I could easily see it being one of those that I come back to in 6+ months just to get that feeling again. I haven't played a game before that had me on the edge of my seat, checking my six, and jumping at ambient noises like this one has. I can't speak too much for the story yet as I'm not very far into it yet, but from what I have seen and read it seems to be a good one.

I recommend it, but if finances are an issue right now, then you could get away with a rental i suppose. I almost didn't buy it because Fallout 3 and Gears 2 already had priority, but after reading the overwhelmingly positive reviews and favorable comparisons to Bioshock and other great games I already have, I decided it was one that would be worth hanging on to. It won't have the massive play/replay time that Fallout and Gears will have, but I doubt you would be at all disappointed if you bought it.

boilersax...learn to identify sarcasm

I knew there was sarcasm there, but I still thought it would be helpful for OTHERS that may be on the fence with this one, hence, the preface "If you're asking seriously".

Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

Honestly, I just like talking about this game because I'm excited about it exceeding my initial expectations. I figure some folks might be going through the prioritizing thought process that I did.

ahem, back on topic...

I know the PC version doesn't come out until this next week, but I'm interested to see how it looks and plays by you PC guys. I'm having a hard time visualizing a tight control scheme with a keyboard/mouse like there is with the controller. I'm guessing it would function similarly to Gears of War for PC, but I haven't heard much of anything about that either. :shrug03: